What kind of glue do you use on your seizings?

I'm with John and B.E.  Dilute PVA

If you want to get rid of that gloss on your rigging from the CA either touch it up with some flat black paint or try Dullcoat by Model Master (Testor's).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Stick with diluted pva glue.  If you use ca for your knots the line may become brittle and snap.

David B

I'm another devotee of dilute PVA. When I wanted to re-do a couple of ratlines recently, I simply worked a bit of isopropyl alcohol into the knots with a stiff brush and they came off easily.

Edited by gjdale

Diluted PVA is the stuff to use. (It must be diluted otherwise it is too viscous to soak into the thread. I can only recemmend CA to convert the end of your line into a rigid section that makes it easy to thread through blocks etc. Put a drop of CA onto a disposable surface to make a small puddle. Use a toothpick (or similar) to draw about 10mm of the end of the line through. Wipe off all excess CA immediately.and you will have a hard needle end. Snip this off after you have threaded it through the block(s).

This will also illustrate what will happen to your knots and seizings etc, if you use CA to secure them.

Richard

I use cian ZAP PT-30 and PT-20 glue and glue like PVA of various producers.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

I use clear (or black for 'tarred' ropes) lacquer or varnish. Unlike in the case of PVA or CA glues, a drop of thinner softens the lacquer/varnish and thus allows you to adjust everything. The lacquer/varnish can also easily applied with a fine brush.

wefalck 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with John and B.E.  Dilute PVA

If you want to get rid of that gloss on your rigging from the CA either touch it up with some flat black paint or try Dullcoat by Model Master (Testor's).

Hmmm... why touch up the CA with dullcote to get rid of the gloss? Just place a drop of Dullcote INSTEAD of using CA. It will hold your knot, will not leave a shiny or white spot, and will not make your line brittle, as CA does. ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!