HM Cutter Sherbourne by Liam - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 scale

Hi all so I thought I start a build log for my Sherbourne kit I did attempt about 15 years ago a model of HMS Victory a subscription one but I was young and was way out of my depth so give it up I decided to go with a modest boat this time after a bit of research I picked this model as a good start. 
Any advice or tips would be appreciated hopefully I can make a good job of it like all the logs I’ve looked out in here already to do with the model 

liam 

Hi Liam, Sherbourne was my first ship too, enjoy building her and have fun!

It might be worth masking the stem, keel and sternpost with some tape to protect it if you plan to leave it wood finish, although if you're painting her it's not so important. 

Good start by the way.

Cheers 👍😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Edward thanks for the tip I’ll do that as I am undecided as to the paintwork yet will decide as I go along . I had a look at your Sherbourne build before I started and will definitely be looking at it for further reference it looked great at the finish just hope I can do it as good 👍🏻 

Looks great so far. One nice thing about the false decks is it helps with the frame beveling as you just follow the shape of the deck.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Run a plank on the bulkheads to see if they are sanded enough.  You want the planks to sit solidly on the bulkheads not just on one edge.  Mask the stern post or pop it back off with some rubbing alcohol it will get damaged from the planking process for sure. The Sherbourne is a great starter kit!

Thanks Jeff I wish I had thought of that though was a bit eager sanded a little to much of had to glue a bit of excess on to get a decent shape I’ll post some pictures of what Iv been up to today with it I think it is ok for a first attempt and once finished filled and sanded should be ok 

Hi everyone thanks John I have been working on the planking over the last couple of days and just finished the first planking I have made some little mistakes but for a first attempt I think it is ok I know for next ten every stage is going to be a learning curve for me hopefully it doesn’t test me to much lol 

0BA52A45-471D-4C29-813C-447173263975.jpeg.cb6b4ee6c7694aeca28469a7ed7e5956.jpeg8B284F86-3249-4A2B-B4CB-D055D6C419D8.jpeg.51dad1699566ba48658342ff3cef89fb.jpeg15C7CA6B-621B-4637-9244-D303F4E3C490.thumb.jpeg.28b9d9c7839834af9dd7fa9df5abea5e.jpeg

I have just put some filler on it and will post next when It is all sanded and ready for the next planking 

according to the instructions I have to fix the stern counter next but it was missing from my kit when I ordered it along with all the cannon frames so I’m still waiting for them to arrive should be in the next 2-3 days 

liam 

Looking good Liam, first planking doesn't necessarily have to be perfect because sanding and filler will help to get a nice and smooth base for the second planking. 

Edit your second post beat me to it 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

With all the amazing crafts people on here it is easy to get a bit over critical of your own work. But it's your friends and family that will get to enjoy it in person. My first build was quite simple and average at best by MSW standards, but all the people who have seen it are impressed which is all that matters.

Yes, on here we can see mistakes or things that we could have done better, but only the members here will see that. And we all have at least the next 3- 4 builds planned out so plenty of time to perfect our skills!

Which reminds me, I need to go finish my first planking!

Can anyone answer a few questions for me

is it best for me to use superglue on the 2nd planking or wood glue ? 

Can I start the 2nd planking without putting the stern counter on as I am still waiting for it to arrive ? 

40 minutes ago, Liam said:

is it best for me to use superglue on the 2nd planking or wood glue ? 

I think that it is more of preference for what works for you than best. I used CA glue for my second planking but you want to be very careful in the application to avoid stains and gluing yourself to the hull. I used some pipettes to help apply the glue to the hull. I have read that some people will also use drops of CA along the planks (for a "clamp") with PVA glue in between as well.

Have you looked at any other logs to see if you found one that didn't install the counter until later?

Thank you I’ll give both ago and work out what is better for me 👍🏻

I have looked at other sherbourne builds all have put the counter in first but the instructions say it but a scratch build I see done it after the second planking I can’t see it causing to much of a issue 

I would think the second planking would wrap around the counter.  If you put the counter on last how will the resulting edge look... I’d wait.

CA vs. PVA on planking call for two different techniques, looking around the build logs should give you a feel for what works for you. I’ve always used CA, just don’t use too much at a time. I recommend bevels great the top of each plank for a tighter fit. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi everyone been working on the model today managed to get all the planking finished and i done the deck planking as well I think it’s coming together nicely Not perfect but I think it looks good 

I think I will need to put a cannon together to see if they fit I see a couple of other logs where they needed altering 97787C64-48B6-450A-9DAC-C2FF50967237.thumb.jpeg.21e7b94a97c1b4fbfb4361691ebdaa6d.jpegB95C1ED8-1F50-473E-A75C-0958E2E679E3.thumb.jpeg.c2fa6d19ea0f1e6ed9229f53b5e7879d.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all I got a question if anyone can answer for me please I’m about to rig the cannons to the hull but cant find anywhere what thread to use ? 
I thought the thick one but looks to thick for the cannons so want to be sure thanks image.thumb.jpg.31137879e7ececcc92bd523514ffa1d9.jpg

(This is the I’m still learning as well warning) 

There would be at least two sizes of rope - a thicker rope for the breaching line and a thinner rope for the side tackles (and I assume the same size for the traversing tackle in the rear if you’re rigging that).

Take a look here for some potential sizes:

And also post 189 in that build log.

Edit: That thick line looks like it might be for the anchor and too thick. If you need a different size take a look at Syren https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

It's been nearly 20 years since I built my Sherbourne, but I don't recall there being any material included for rigging gun tackles. I do remember that I had to order 2 mm blocks specifically for the tackles, and I used info from the The Naval Cutter Alert and Ship Modeler's Shop Notes to get the line diameters and lengths correct.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix