HM Cutter Sherbourne by Liam - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 scale

There are tables somewhere that would indicate diameter/circumference or whatever. but in modeling I go with what looks good.

ekXSfgyN869gbsUcrUpq3-9RtiA6ZldTngdmIT5II0-CfSSgBFANvZFlCnqMCG-IbcivoIBWZuGZ6AbVW1wXnmilymiRoMqhr--0zucTo5m9vlfMmrQ2tuwZGmwKaxtyylZmuw

Here is an example from Victory.

Out of proportion rope and tackle would be distracting..

I think the breeching rope on the cannon in my signature looks too small.  

I would change it, but the model is no longer in my custody..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thanks all for the reply I’m going to use 0.5 mm thread for it seems to look the best on the cannon itself I have another dilemma everything so far has gone to plan on the instructions till now lol 😂

while looking this up with the thread I have noticed a lot of people have used eyelets on there cannons to rig them to the hull but the plans show a 1 mm wire to be used with no loops of overhang Isit a mistake on the drawing where the wood is shows a straight wire which is what I have done but everywhere else seems to show eyelets but mine I got don’t fit the cannons ? image.thumb.jpg.e52062350cc8f3550655f9d1107bf558.jpg

Hello Liam

Have fun doing the rigging of the cannons - very fiddly 🙂

Used 0.75 thread for main restraining rope and 0.10 for the other bits.

Nice to see another Sherbourne.

Regards

Doug

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

23 minutes ago, Liam said:

Isit a mistake on the drawing where the wood is shows a straight wire which is what I have done but everywhere else seems to show eyelets but mine I got don’t fit the cannons ? 

I don't think it is a mistake exactly, looking at the picture from Caldercraft here:

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/KitPics/LRG/Sher_Cannon_lrg.jpg

You can see that only the breaching line was used, I don't think the kit intended that the side tackles were rigged (but this doesn't mean that you can't do it, it can add a lot to the model). You may have to purchase some addition eyelets though (Amati has some ones that I'm currently using and you may want to get some 2mm brass split rings while you are at it to go with them at certain points). Then you'll have to drill some holes in the carriages to accept the eyelets.

28 minutes ago, Liam said:

the plans show a 1 mm wire to be used with no loops of overhang

That 1mm wire represents part of the carriage structure..

It doesn't look like the kit provides the various eyebolts and hooks that would be part of the gun tackle..

You would have to procure those from other sources..

Here are some carriages from DocBlake's Blandford.

image.png.3573004fee455258272a53986414a733.png

image.png.88e20793a7a2a96703edddc93f7f58cc.png

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

The metal wires in the diagram are for making trunnions -- the little posts on the cannon that rest atop the carriage. The cast guns in the kit have the trunnions molded already. Rings and eyebolts can be easily and cheaply made using annealed wire and round-nose pliers.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all hope all is well been a while since I last posted A update I have been working on my Sherborne I am actually not to far from finishing it just doing the last few bits of rigging and touch up paint and name to be added. 
I have chosen my next kit decided to go with HMS snake just awaiting it to arrive 85DD85F6-6E2A-49BE-A0DF-C78429D97748.thumb.jpeg.79dbe40bdee115cf6e234745ee92a0a7.jpeg544E7529-CC2D-48FA-B10F-2FC102055213.thumb.jpeg.00ad3312605cf8e657a07316e710983b.jpeg2043E30A-9679-46A2-82EA-13F3618FD145.thumb.jpeg.23fc21f14f593a91920e156ed74a7a78.jpegBCF56A92-26DE-42AB-9C9C-80E8468644CB.thumb.jpeg.3a8406eb1f376bb3bc8c2defcc42770c.jpegE0AA79C9-0BC5-49E4-BF45-E43A49E4D915.thumb.jpeg.c58192c07594d829238fa7146f6464eb.jpeg

Looking very nice Liam, great choice for the next project! there's one or two snake logs on here, I've yet to make the leap to more than one mast.

Good luck with Snake but as you're doing fine with Sherbourne I'm sure you'll be just as good😁👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone hope all is well been a few months since I last updated on the progress of my Sherborne but I am glad to say it is all but finished just a few extras I want to add on the deck I.e barrels and cannon balls but apart from that it is finished photos will follow i will also be starting a new ship hms snake over Christmas 

Congratulations on finishing your Sherbourne.  It really looks nice.  I will be looking forward to seeing your HMS Snake build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

A lovely, smart looking Sherbourne, Liam, nice work! I hope you're doing a build log for Snake?

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED