Hello Nenad,  happy to hear you are getting over that flu big.  Super nice looking bulwarks, great job!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

looks great Nenad.....glad your getting better ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yesterady morning was a cleaning day for garage and workshop. ( You do not have to say - She is right again, last time I clen it was couple of months ago. That was the price - I can make trash downhere as much I want, but my duty is to keep it clean...) 

In the evening... sometimes, social obligations get your free time more than you want.

As you probably now, in Serbia is Eastern Ortodox Christian , and one of the specific is celebrating of, so called, "saint day". Literal translation of our term "krsna slava" is impossible and meaningless. Every family has own family saint inherited in the male line ( St. Nicolas, St. Georgy, St. Michael, etc etc). This days are opportunity and some kind of obligation to visit and to consort with friends and relatives who celebrate their saint day, to eat well and to spend a nice evening seeing different people you know or dont know. In these days half of Belgrade ( 2.000.000. residents) is moving from place to place from one to another part of the city, from one to another friend or relative who celebrate ( for instance, you have 5 friends who celebrate same Saint on the very same day, and all of them expect and call you to visit them, and you must organize yourself to go to the 5 places on the one day, and to spent there a bit of time). Yesterday it was one of these days, so ...  

Personaly, me and the Admiral are atheist, but friends and relatives call us and expect to visit them on their saint days. So, yesterday we were with friends having very fun evening. We dont celebrate any saint, but from time to time gather friends and relatives in our home to lunch, dinner, supper or barbecue or somethnig my Admiral invent for that occasion

Tonight I¨ll go to another friend to mount new guitar strings to his daughter "new" guitar, to chat and drink god wine, maybe to play and sing some old songs from our youth.

So, poor Cutty must wait for a while in the darkness and sadness of her hanging kitchen element on wall of shipyard.

In the evening, before sleep I read some book about rigging ... nervousness grows ...  how do I make it ... that will be a "fun" and a headache

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Yes, Spencer, you have eagle eye.

This is maximum in this stage I could out of situation I lead myself when somewhere and somehow I almost lost main lines. But, there will be "some" ropes and "some" sails, and "some" deck furniture, and "some" details on deck, and I hope it will not be visible later. In every case, it is less drunk and less wrong than last attempt I have removed. I think that without starting over from "zero" it is not possible to do better correction. And, to quote Bob : I can leave with this.

And, next to do are - top rails, and as they visually overlap bulwarks, I hope them will completely mask critical parts of bulwarks ( I ll try to) 

Some of Hmmmm always remain ... 

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

she looks great Nenad.........if the concern is what I think I see,  I wouldn't worry about it.   just make sure the cap rails are even with each other,  and it should mask it quite nicely  :)    you've done a very good job  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nenad; 

Bulwarks look great!  I thank you for your inspiration...  When I mounted my bulwarks (1/32" sheet basswood) it was before i finished planking or coppering the hull;  needless to say, they cracked and broke, and were repaired many times...  some of my pictures look like an eel swimming, they wereho warped..

But, I actually sawed  them where the curves were, and re glued them, relieving some of the stress, and they straightened out a bit...  Adding the stanchion rail also helped, as did the stanchions themselves.   What was once a very delicate structure, now has some strength, which is very cool...  Yours will probably do the same as you add the detail. (railings, pinrails, etc..)

Edited by rfolsom

sudomekh,

Please use English only as this an English Only forum.  

Пожалуйста, используйте только на английском языке, так как это только на английском форуме.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sudomekh

Form a Topic and I ll follow with interest. Ariel is great looking ship from same era as CS

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Bob

Delicate and sensitive structures, indeed. I start working on top rails, and it get a little stronger. There will be also second layer of veneer and fender moldings which also will give more straight to bulwarks

And then, as usually, next question arise, connected with question of straight of bulwarks: 

Openings in bulwarks for escape of water

Are them supposed to be movable or fixed in model ?

post-4738-0-37995300-1384933206_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-58960000-1384933205.jpg

post-4738-0-50055100-1384933204.jpg

post-4738-0-24898300-1384933203.jpg

I think that them have to be fixed

Something like that

post-4738-0-61358500-1384933422_thumb.jpg

PS

In separate Topic http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4354-do-we-use-this-forum-too-much-for-socializingplease-read/#entry125204  is presented some kind of official politic of MSW, to reduce presonal and social notes, so ... I ll probably have to clean up posts that, by mention of moderator, overheat topic and haven no direct relation with building of CS  :( 

So, I ask my followers for opinion about that - did I overheat with socializing and personal notes and thoughts ?

PS

I was informed yesterday by moderator that my topic is not issue and targeted, so we ll keep on  

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Locks will be there in any case

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Ah yes, the freeing ports...  On my build, they will need to be squared up and painted before resuming the rail work... as far as the hatch cover material, I am not sure... wood would probably be too thick;  aluminum from cans too thin and warping;  brass?  ...  I did see a site where the builder used sheet styrene with good results... I did not want to use plastic in my build, but, we'll see....Tell me what you think.

Also, when I cut out the freeing ports, the bulwarks straightened themselves even more, due to the structural strain being reduced.

Edited by rfolsom

Bob,

For now, I am thinking on way as on drawing above, and to make them from wood covered ( "coopered") with black-painted aluminum foil, something as my try on next picture

post-4738-0-50150000-1384938652.jpg

Reason - my bulwarks are 1,5-2,5 mm wide ... ( putty)

One interesting detail which lead me to the conclusion that they are fixed

Look at this small holder on next picture

post-4738-0-45731300-1384938653.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

I'm glad that you are feeling better!  You had a tough time of it!

It is my understanding that when the Cutty was operational, the freeing ports were not fixed but swung open when they needed to dump water. However, they did have the stops in your photograph which prevented the ports from opening further.  Probably a safety measure to keep the sailors from being swept out overboard in rough seas.

I imagine that they fixed them in place when they made it a museum ship so that visitors didn't pinch/break their fingers - kids playing around with them. 

Your model is looking great.  Also I like your posts.  I think the social aspects are good.

Take care and get your strength back!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Marc

That is also my opinion. Think that in model they must be fixed, to avoid potential damage of them

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

And finally, some significant progress to show. It seems that all damage and pay back price inside bulwarks and above the deck is successfully resolved. 

Yesterday and tonight I spent a lot of time making top rail, and here it is by the steps

post-4738-0-15667700-1385065434_thumb.jpg

Rails are made of 2x5 mm strips, which was cutted and glued in several  pieces, with enormous sanding to fit them to the shape 

post-4738-0-88432100-1385065435_thumb.jpg

After that, preliminary cover with sadoline. Final paint will come when I ( ever) finish sanding and putty, and when comes a time without sanding dust everywhere. Also bulwarks with panels will be repainted when comes time to mount nail and dead-eye holders

post-4738-0-18874800-1385065437_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-18874800-1385065437_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-75403000-1385065438_thumb.jpg

And preliminary trying how "nail holder" will look and fit with something from scarp box

post-4738-0-94640800-1385065439_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-19704600-1385065442_thumb.jpg

For now (until next big surprise catch me) I think that it all will be all right, and little corrections will be done later when I next time climb to the deck

Now, finally I can happily jump from the deck to the hull to fight with stern, finish hull lines and strip benders, and start second planking

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Wow, Nenad;  looks great!  I'm still trying to touch up my stanchions, and get the rest of the holes drilled for the deadeye stays;  Maybe then I can finally make some progress...

Keep up the good work;  I'm looking forward to your second planking !

~Bob

@ Bob, here is a little observation for you. Columns (pillars) were originally made of 1x1 mm strips, but they are reduced  now to  about 0,5x1 mm and I think this is more in scale. Even better would be 0,5 x 0,5, but this would be sadomasochism  

Before second planking, there is , as usual (  :( ), next challenge and correcting of next mistake

(It seems for now that whole my building is made of mistakes and repairing)

In Serbia there is proverb, literally " You can not have goat and the money at the same time" . Translated with Google it means "You can not have it both ways" 

I am not shame ( that is a lie ) of my mistakes, and I expose them in order to be seen to avoid beginners as me not to run in that smelly and barely passable swamp

So, because of mine earlier mistake with to low poop deck and wrong line and angle of it, main successfully ;) repairing of this mistake lead directly to the abnormal raising and large thickness of the stern, and it seems as elephants back now  :angry: 

post-4738-0-26736400-1385105648.jpg

post-4738-0-10969400-1385105649.jpg

@ Dognut, do you want to exchange your ice-breaker bow for my elephant stern ?

My earlier proud stern made is hidden somewhere inside

Good thing is that stern is made of solid wood ... 

And a next part of Comedy starts

Ah, sanding again ...

I can see the future: who/what will be most engaged in shipyard next days

post-4738-0-22681800-1385106236.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Nenad,

I did smile at your 'elephant stern' reference - but yours can be corrected with a lot of use of Mr Dremel's toys, er, tools.

I still have to do some major reconstruction to correct my bow. But, reconstruction seems to be the normal thing here in the CS Fleet.

Ah well, what fun...(with the Admiral Of The Fleet's comment - whats the fascination with that little wooden boat of yours - ringing in my ears)

Regards,

Dognut.

Currently building - Cutty Sark 1:115- Constructo : First build

Favorite quote about Her

On the afternoon of Monday 22
November 1869, a beautiful little
clipper ship of 963 tons gross was
launched at Dumbarton on the River
Leven. On that day, she was given a
name that was to become renowned
throughout the seafaring world .

Cheers

PS

There is a mountine of books and articles written about CS, so everything I could eventyally write is almost written in better way

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: