Bluejacket CSS Alabama

John Allen

Please advise if I am being nitpicky. The price of the kit is $ 749.00 I am a little disappointed in several of the supplied materials considering the cost of the kit. Most of the fittings including cannons are brittania or a base metal for the money I feel that at least he cannons should be brass. The pre etched deck does not in my opion look as good as planking (personal choice that can be changed by the builder.

I ordered deadeyes at one point before I realized they were metal and had to be painted or browned. I would have thought for the money wood deadeyes on the caliber of Chucks should be supplied.

I know they have a great reputation as for as instructions support and replacing parts. 

It just seems for the cost of that kit some parts should have been upgraded.

Am I being to critical, I bow to suggestions from the more experienced.:imNotWorthy:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Don't be so apologetic.  

At that price point I would agree about the cannon and deadeyes.  I would expect premium parts all around.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

13 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

BTW, if you PM me your deadeye bill of material I might be able to help you out.

Roger,

Thanks I should have made the post clearer. I was about to pull the trigger on the kit, since not being able to find one that was comparable. There is the Revell plastic and the Mamoli Alabama on eBay. Been mulling this over for a week but the cost vs material made me come to my senses. Post is to verify I made right decision. Thanks for the offer that's what is great about this site good folks willing to help each other:cheers:

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

The Mamoli kit would be a great option for some bashing..    I would want it to be the new Dusek version..

A bank or lawyers office in Mobile might be willing to pay a nice chunk of change for a well finished model..  

At the least you might get a nice tax deduction  for donating to a local library..

I noticed Bluejacket wanted $10,800 for a completed model..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Blue jackets metal is an alloy they call “Britannia “, of which they are rather proud, since it will not oxidize or “cauliflower “, like other lead based metal fittings do over time. It is much like pewter, hence the expense. 

Wooden blocks can look kind of clunky in 1/8 scale, especially those supplied in foreign kits. (Not Chuck’s of course)

Cottage Industry Models offers a 1/8th scale upgrade in resin of the guns of Alabama and Kearsarge for the respective Revell Kits. The site hasn't been updated in years, so I don't know if they are still taking orders, but the site is still there:

http://cottageindustrymodels.com/?page_id=289

You might want to try to contact them.

image.png.a356335989c841c6162286763bcb6164.png

image.png.38d94492fce3a5873ba19445b5159d85.png

image.png

18 hours ago, Gregory said:

The Mamoli kit would be a great option for some bashing..    I would want it to be the new Dusek version..

A bank or lawyers office in Mobile might be willing to pay a nice chunk of change for a well finished model..  

At the least you might get a nice tax deduction  for donating to a local library..

I noticed Bluejacket wanted $10,800 for a completed model..

Lawyers are notoriously cheap and Banks would only be interested in it if it's a donation. Insurance corps and private businesses I have had good luck with. The Danish West Indies trading company in Ft. Lauderdale is home to the Billings Danish Training ship Danmark I built some years ago. They actually flew a small Cessna plane into our local airstrip to pick up the ship model and fly it back. 

Trust me being up close and personal to numerous lawyers (of which most were the bloodsucking types) they would buy a cheap knockoff from China or Vietnam all the while screaming about Chinese imports.:wacko:

John Allen

On deck

Finished

On 7/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, uss frolick said:

Cottage Industry Models offers a 1/8th scale upgrade in resin of the guns of Alabama and Kearsarge for the respective Revell Kits. The site hasn't been updated in years, so I don't know if they are still taking orders, but the site is still there:

http://cottageindustrymodels.com/?page_id=289

You might want to try to contact them.

image.png.a356335989c841c6162286763bcb6164.png

image.png.38d94492fce3a5873ba19445b5159d85.png

image.png

I have both of these sets.  They are mixed media.  The gun carriages are resin.  The barrels and eyebolts are metal and look great!  The remaining blocks are wood.

I am using mine in a nearly complete accurization of the Revell CSS Alabama.  By the way, has anyone seen reviews of the Mamoli model?

Bill

Our Alabama and Kearsarge kits contain an enormous number of parts. Photo-etched brass is expensive, and it takes a full day of laser cutting to do all the pieces in each kit. On the Kearsarge, there are over 50 pieces just to make up each Dahlgren gun. To say nothing of the large number of wood sheets used. We try very hard to keep our prices down, but we are using American labor.

Also, each kit took 1,400 hours of design work to be amortized across 150 kits.

25 minutes ago, MrBlueJacket said:

Also, each kit took 1,400 hours of design work to be amortized across 150 kits.

That's over 8 months of full-time work. It's just one R&D expense that is bypassed by knock-off kit manufacturers and conveniently overlooked by some ship modeling sites.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 years later...

Mr Bluejacket

The Alabama and the Kearsarge limited editions look to be the most accurate models of those two ships. Superb kits from what I can see of them.

So why make them limited editions? Surely you could amortise more of your company costs by producing a run of say 500 initially and sell them as a regular catalogue item?

The other thing is that much as I would love to model the Alabama in particular, 1/96th scale makes for a huge model. Too big for me unfortunately.

Would it not be possible to consider a kit half that size? Small enough to accommodate, but big enough to fully detail.

OK.  So how about doing an unlimited kit of the CSS Alabama at half the 1/96th scale.

It could make for a more affordable accurate kit as much of the Photo etched and Laser Cut parts could be easily reduced in scale on your CAD.

Understandably there may be a bit of modification to be made to the lasered frame slots to allow for whatever thickness of material is being used, but not insurmountable.

The model would be  more modest in size but could still be highly detailed. I have been looking at the 1/192nd scale drawings in Bowcock's book.

Quite a nice size for display without being enormous. and due to the fame (or infamy depending on your view) of the ship could prove popular as a kit.

Incidentally I downloaded the Bluejacket Catalogue but there was no list of scale plans that you sell that I could see in it.