Another CT Yankee only in Texas

DougTx

As a beginner and a retiree, I am in the contemplating stage of the hobby, trying figure out what I need in terms of workspace, tools to acquire, and which model for a first build.  Before moving to Texas, I lived in CT (Stamford, Ridgefield and Monroe) and always enjoyed taking the kids to Mystic, the Norwalk Aquarium and down to the docks in Milford to ogle all the beautiful sailboats.  As a kid I build quite a few car models, a couple fly by wire balsa planes, and many scratch built slot cars, but all of that was more than 55 - 60 years ago. So my skill level today, given less than perfect close up vision, is questionable.  I have been thinking about the best kit to start with and have narrowed it down to these four: Lady Nelson by Amati, Polaris be Occre, Revenue Cutter by BlueJacket or the Smuggler by BlueJacket.  While I love the look of the Smuggler, I am not sure if that would be too much to bite off as a first build and whether a solid hull would be preferable over a POB type of construction.  I am looking forward to learning and just want to get off to a good start and therefore am proceeding slowly. I am really impressed with the in-process and finished projects from the members and frankly it's a bit intimidating in seeing the quality of workmanship on the numerous builds.  I hope I don't pull down the quality of the model ships that appear on the forum.    

Hi Doug, and welcome to MSW!

To be honest, I've found that model-building is like riding a bicycle - you might get a little rusty, but you never lose the ability even after many years away from it. And many of the skills you've developed from your earlier modelling are transferable to ships.

I'm not familiar with any of these kits - they're all very attractive - but on googling them the Lady Nelson and Polaris both have step-by-step video instructions available on-line, and apparently the Smuggler has a 96 page instruction book. I see that the revenue cutter is a solid hull (and there's at least one buildlog on MSW for it) - I couldn't figure out whether the Smuggler is as well - it says "Laminated basswod hull" - does that mean it's solid?

I think that any of these kits would be a worthwhile project. And while planking can be a pretty steep learning curve, that shouldn't be a reason not to go that route. There are plenty of examples and tutorials available, as well as lots of advice from people who've been there before. A methodical approach without rushing is probably your most valuable tool. And asking questions if you feel stumped. The membership here is very helpful and willing to give advice - often the problem you're up against has been encountered (and solved) before.

And yes, it can feel intimidating seeing the excellent work the best of us produces. I'm still awestruck by the stuff other people produce - things I feel "I'll never be that good". But MSW has every level of skill and ability among its members, and every member started somewhere. You will make mistakes, you can be sure of that. But not mistakes all of us haven't made at some time or another. And most of them can be remedied.

Down the track you'll probably look at your first build and think aargh - I got that wrong and that wrong, and I was too careless with the other thing. As we all do. It's a learning process, and as with anything else your skills (and your models) improve with each project you do. Each mistake gives valuable lessons for next time - if your second build isn't better than your first, there's something wrong. So don't get too intimidated, and don't let that be a reason not to start. 

When you've decided on the model you want to build and received your kit, make sure you start a build log. There are instructions here on how to go about it.

Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing your ship taking form.

Welcome to Model Ship World Doug.  You have come to the right site to learn to build a wooden ship model.  This is a very enjoyable and satisfying hobby.  I would like to offer you another option for getting started in this hobby.  David Antscherl is a master craftsman and builder of museum quality ship models.  He has also authored many books on ship modeling.  He has developed two kits designed for people new to this hobby.  Here is a link to his Lowell Grand Banks dory model that includes the kit and all of the tools and supplies needed to build this model.  You can also check out the instructions for this kit.  https://modelexpo-online.com/Lowell-Grand-Banks-Dory-with-Tools-124-Scale_p_3959.html

This is a good place to start and you will learn techniques that will help you on future builds.  You will not find a better teacher and mentor than David.  Good luck on whatever kit you choose.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

1 hour ago, DougTx said:

While I love the look of the Smuggler, I am not sure if that would be too much to bite off as a first build and whether a solid hull would be preferable over a POB type of construction.

Welcome aboard! I think if you read up on planking you’ll be fine (there is a high chance of frustration at points so be certain to ask for help). Have you looked at Vanguard’s lineup? You might be interested in their Alert (similar to the Lady Nelson but a newer design). Remember that we are all our worst critics; simply by building a model and posting about it raises the forum up as it shows other people who might be interested that they can do it too.

Have fun!

Welcome to MSW, Doug.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 3 weeks later...

I have been agonizing over choosing a first build, but finally bit the bullet and ordered the 18th Century Long Boat.  I had reservations about this choice due to its small size and possible fragility, but the price with tools and paint was too tempting to pass up to get some experience.  I still need to acquire some other tools/materials to get started and a desk or table, but will plan to do a build log as suggested.  I am definitely going to need some help along the way once I get going. 

Good decision. I wouldn't get too worried about the model's fragility. In my experience ship models, no matter how frail they seem to be, are surprisingly robust. So long as you don't tread on it or run over it with a steamroller you should be ok.

You can probably do well enough, at least to start out, with the tools supplied. But as you go along you'll probably discover the need for others. One thing you may not think of, but which is vital, is a wide range of different types and sizes of clamps. You can never have toomany clamps! But many modellers produce excellent results with a surprisingly small and basic collection of tools.

And yes, a build log is a very good idea indeed. Let us know on this page when you start yours, with a link to the log. I for one will be following it.

And have fun with it! That's what it's all about.

@DougTx Welcome! You might be able to tell from the chart in my profile we come from the same general area of CT.

@Ryland Craze That dory model looks fantastic. I think I am going to order it as my first plank model to complement the solid hull model I am working on now.

James

Current Build: Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

15 hours ago, CTYankee said:

@Ryland Craze That dory model looks fantastic. I think I am going to order it as my first plank model to complement the solid hull model I am working on now.

Good choice on the dory model.  The kit designer, David Antscherl, is an excellent teacher and a master craftsman.  You will learn a lot from him.  Many of us on MSW have attended his seminars, purchased his books and heard him speak at the Nautical Research Guild Conferences.  Here is a link to his website: http://www.admiraltymodels.com/

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat