Newby Model Maker!

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and new to model making. I recently retired as a Bowyer and Fletcher, so I was looking for a new hobby to do in my workshop. I bought a kit from eBay and started with the Constructo HMS Victory. I have only been working on it for a few weeks, but I am absolutely hooked. I have woodworking skills but no experience of metal working, so I will be scouring this site for hints and tips. 

I saw Phillip Reed on YouTube and was stunned by the work he was doing. So .... I will continue with the Victory, but I will also be starting on the Triton Section. I will put up a Triton log as soon as I have started it. 

I have looked through a couple of the Triton Section builds on this site. I am impressed with the workmanship, but also the camaraderie and help from other members. So I have a couple of questions for you. 

First, I have timber which I used for the English longbows which I used to make. I was wondering which you consider the best for constructing models. The timbers I have are as follows: Oak, Lemonwood, Padauk, Purpleheart, Mahogany, Bamboo, Ash, Teak, and Ipe. Looking forward to hearing your opinions. 

I was thinking of using one pale wood and one dark wood for the Triton Section. 

Secondly, I have a Proxxon table saw. The narrowest blade is 0.5mm. But I have seen at least one of you guys mentioning a 0.3mm blade for this machine - can you tell me where I can get one of these from. 

Really looking forward to starting the scratch build, but I just need to finish off my last longbow. 

Just thought I would put in a couple of photos of the bows and arrows I have been making. (Bows are not the easiest to photograph on account of being so long!!!)

Cheers,

Lynn

F3D6D1D6-1CB6-4909-8E9D-CDEB16D7A734.thumb.jpeg.fdb194f8bd01bab41a86d56c6319b5a9.jpeg24F72E0F-51EC-4EF5-84D1-30F9533728AC.thumb.jpeg.32da16d604559bcb6ee84a848cae73ac.jpeg

Super welcome.  Love your introduction.  What an interesting profession!!!   

For wood, padauk, and maybe lemonwood.  Bamboo for treenails.  In general, the smaller the grain the better.  Oak definitely not a good choice as is ash a poor choice.  Not sure on some of the others.  I had used teak any years ago as I had a free source and the project required teak wood work for the client.  It worked quite well although a little grainy.  The color is gorgeous.   As to sources of anything, I assume you are in Gateshead in the UK, so hopefully UK members will reach out to you.

Again, welcome aboard

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, Lynn.

A number of ex-archers here, apparently (including me).

Yes, when you start your build, make sure you also start a build log. It's a great way to get help, encouragement and advice. And the problems you encounter may already have been solved by someone else.

Welcome to Model Ship World Lynn.  You excellent work on fletchering and bowyering show that you have the skills to do a good job on your ship models.  I look forward to seeing your Triton build log when you start it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Lynn,  Check out the wood forum here and maybe post about what you have.  I am sure there are folks reading posts on that forum that may not have checked the new member forum posts.

You can also just type in Sitka Spruce in the search bar at the top of the page and posts about it will come up for you.

Anxious to see your build log!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU