Cutty Sark by Qakeith - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC

I built this exact Revell Cutty Sark model when it was new in the 1970's with my dad.  It got destroyed at some point in a move and when I saw this kit on e-bay I had to build it again.  He has since passed away but I think he would have appreciated the finished product again.  I have always liked the Cutty and my daughter and I had a chance to visit the real one in Greenwich, England a few years ago. It was beautiful. If you ever get a chance then go see it, what a marvelous museum. After that trip I found this model and I was hooked again.

I took me about 600 hours to build and rig her.  I decided not to put the sails on as that is the way she is now in Greenwich.   I bought some brass fittings and railings from a Czech Republic modelling  company and they really added to the realistic look.  It was a royal pain drilling out the holes for the brass railings and then running ultrathin wire through the holes in each.  Some of the plastic was very brittle and it was almost 50 years old and several masts I had to heat up slightly to straighten them a bit.  Amazingly, this kit had nothing missing after all these years and in an open box. When she was finished I built a display case which now sits in my living room.  Had to get he bosses approval first though!  I think it came out nice.  What do you all think?

1211191112.jpg

1226191600a.jpg

0217200902.jpg

0222201735.jpg

0219201151a.jpg

0308201108.jpg

0317201047.jpg

0402201224.jpg

0419201607.jpg

0419201608a.jpg

0830201633 (1).jpg

Welcome to Model Ship World Qakeith.  You did a really good job on your Cutty Sark.  This model must mean a lot to you as it brings up memories of the first time you built this ship.  I like the last picture with the model in its display case.  I hope this is the start to many more ship models.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Qakeith, welcome to the forum. A wonderful job Sir! Those old Revell kits bring back lots of great memories. None as nice as building one you and your dad made years ago. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

• 1 year later...

Very nice!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

That's a really nice job and welcome to MSW too.  The Cutty Sark is a special ship to me as I grew up in South London and as kids we used to ride our skateboards around her.  That was many years before the fire and also many years before she became popular too.  We pretty much used to have her all to ourselves.