SS Edmund Fitzgerald by JKC27 - Scale 1/16" = 1ft - as she appeared before sinking on Lake Superior Nov 1975

Pardon any formatting errors - My first build log, and first build.  Trying to follow the conventions on this site.

Quick blurb about me (if anyone cares...lol).  I was 2 years old when this ship went down, so I obviously have no recollection of ever seeing it sail up/down the Detroit River on it's regular run carrying taconite (iron ore pellets) from Lake Superior ports to the steel mills in Detroit and Ohio regions.  Born, raised, and still live only a couple blocks from the Detroit River on the Canadian side in Windsor, Ontario.  Been a boatnerd my whole life, and still am.  Have visited the museums near me (Dossin in Detroit, and the old one in Vermillion, OH which I believe is now located in Toledo, as well as multiple trips to the St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre in St. Catharines, ON).  I did consider a career on the lakes, but at time I decided I go another route.  From the time I was a young boatwatcher I have always wanted to built a model freighter - sadly no mass market companies ever got into this sub-genre of models.  Which brings me to 2020 and finally deciding at 47 years of age to finally tackle this on my own.

Built by Great Lakes Engineering Works in River Rouge, MI (the history of GLEW is fascinating itself - I highly recommend anyone interested in it to read up on it's history - not sure how well known they were outside of the Great Lakes region).  The Fitzgerald was launched the summer of 1958.  Owned by Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance, and operated by the Columbia Transport division of Oglebay Norton Corp.  At launch it was the largest ship on the lakes and set numerous records during her career.  The launch is interesting in that it took 3 times for the champagne bottle to break during the christening.  Also the sideways launch was not only delayed due to difficulties removing the keel blocks, but once it hit the water many of spectators were drenched and it even hit the pier before settling. 

On Nov 10, 1975 she was lost in a major storm on Lake Superior with wind gusts approaching hurricane force and large waves likely over 25ft tall.  A ship (Arthur M Anderson) that was following the Fitzgerald recorded wind gusts of 81-86mph and waves up to 35ft.  Keep in mind, she was fully loaded with over 26,000 tons of taconite, so was surely sitting very low in the water.

Why I chose the Fitzgerald for my first build:  Great Lakes freighters have always been a hobby and interest of mine (see above).  Ironically, with the covid pandemic getting plans for any ship proved to be a challenge, as most sources for plans for this type of ship were/are shut down or severely restricted.  I was able to get a set of plans from eBay for this ship.

Method:  I tossed around the idea of doing a bulkhead/frame with balsa sheeting, and then a combination of balsa and styrene for the hatches, pilot house, etc.  I actually started this method but stopped.  Again, with access to materials and shipping to me in Canada, I found a local specialty wood dealer who stocks basswood, so I made the decision to do a solid basswood hull. 

I started sometime in early July (I think).  I will do some catch up photos and notes, and then post as I go.

Here is a pic of how she looked in 1971 - so hopefully my model looks pretty darn close to this!

Edmund_Fitzgerald,_1971,_3_of_4_(restored).jpg

I first started to do the bulkhead method, but with limited tools at my disposal (and no money to get any right now), I set this aside.  Here is where I was at after tracing out cross sections from the set of plans I have and using a very old, but still quite capable scroll saw.

FB_IMG_1599066887063-1.jpg

After I found my source for basswood, I quickly decided that this might the easier way to proceed for the hull.

I got a large chunk of basswood, and once home I squared it up and cut it in half - so I have the base for my next freighter too!

I used the pattern from my set of plans and had to borrow a family members bandsaw to cut the shape of hull.

FB_IMG_1599066846901.jpg

FB_IMG_1599066858704.jpg

FB_IMG_1599066795014.jpg

FB_IMG_1599066784524.jpg

As you can see in the last pic above, I started to lay out the cross sectional lines which would represent the appropriate sections as noted on the lines drawing that is on the prints I have.  I really had to think hard on this once I chose this method for my build.  Do I do the basic mid-section as one piece and then do the fore and aft sections in a sandwich method and then attach them?  I just figured it would be much easier for me to do it as one solid piece.

Figuring out the intricate curves of the bottom of the hull at the stern was a rather daunting task.  Keep in mind, I have limited tools.  I have a scroll saw, and table and chop saw.  For the more detailed work that was next....I have an oscillating ool with attachments and finally get to use my Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand) dremel tool that has bits that are quite good for using on basswood.

For the bottom of the stern......  This was quite challenging and I thought of all the different ways to get to where I need/wanted to be.  Basically used my dremel with a toothed attachment and cut out small chunks to get to the right areas from the centerline of the keel as well as the right heights from the bottom.  I now have the basic shape - which I have had to fill in with wood filler and sand down, where I am happy that I can now move on to the topside features.

I am being 100% honest on this.  With having reference pics, the plans (lines drawing was really helpful), and a ton of patience, most of the shaping on this picture came down to 'eyeing it'.  Overall I am very happy with how this has progressed so far.

20200829_145123.jpg

This looks interesting, as you mention in your post in the plans section, most non North American people's knowledge of these Great Lakes ships is this one because Gordon Lightfoots song. I hope to broaden my knowledge 😉

Looks to be a good start 👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

15 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

This looks interesting, as you mention in your post in the plans section, most non North American people's knowledge of these Great Lakes ships is this one because Gordon Lightfoots song. I hope to broaden my knowledge 😉

Looks to be a good start 👍

I guess I never realized how far reaching Gordon Lightfoot's song really was.  I'd even venture a guess and say most people outside of the Great Lakes region know much about these ships as most never venture outside of the St. Lawrence Seaway, whereas us boatwatchers get to see ships from around the world from bulk carriers, to tankers, to heavy lift ships.

15 hours ago, Diver said:

Looking good.  I will follow your build with interest.  What was your source for that piece of Basswood?.. I live in eastern Ontario, (Kingston area) Thanks.

Bob

The Wood Mill in Tecumseh, ON (just east of Windsor).  They don't have balsa, but have a huge selection of wood.  I found that large size chunks of balsa are virtually impossible to find anywhere near me.  There is a place in Colorado that has it, but with shipping costs, customs, and shipping delays due to covid, along with the US to CDN dollar converstion - it wasn't worth the cost

On 9/3/2020 at 10:41 PM, JKC27 said:

I guess I never realized how far reaching Gordon Lightfoot's song really was. 

The song was a hit in Oz as well. I didn't know what it was all about until years later - I thought it referred to some  sailing ship or other, not a modern carrier (I never really listened to the words in detail - otherwise the "twenty-six thousand tons" line would have told me I was wrong). 

On 9/7/2020 at 12:46 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Who drew the plans for your model?  It’s coming along nicely.

Roger

I found them on eBay. They are a copy of a set of model plans that was drawn up for the Dossin Museum in Detroit....which is across the river from the park at and of street... Original plans are 1/16" - 1ft with model being about 46 inches. Once I got started I realized the guy selling them must have scaled it down to make it easier to copy/sell because my Fitz is closer to 34". I wanted to stay accurate to the plans so what could i do as a first time builder.

I'm going to run into problems when it comes time to source appropriately sized fittings.

I asked because there was a young draftsman who worked for me in our engineering department who had been commissioned here in Duluth by Carr’s Hobby Shop just around the corner from where we worked to draw up a set of modelers plans for the Fitzgerald.  This guy was a self proclaimed CADD whiz and when I heard about his moonlighting project, I asked him about developing a lines drawing, the starting point for any accurate ship model.  He had no idea of what I was talking about.

Shortly before her loss in November of 1975 the Fitzgerald was “stretched” by Fraser Shipbuilding in Superior, Wisconsin just across the St. Louis River Estuary from Duluth.  This was accomplished by cutting her in half and adding a prefabricated parallel midbody section.  There was and still is some speculation that longitudinal strength calculations of her lengthened hull were inadequate leading to her loss. Especially as her wreckage lies in two pieces.

Is it therefore possible that your plans show her in her as launched condition, prior to lengthening?  Check the beam against published dimensions, It did not change.

Roger

I have heard there were new hull plates set aside at Fraser for the Fitzgerald. I know a lot of thdcships from this era were undergoing lengthening...typically adding 120 feet to increase to 767ft LOA.  The Fitz was launched at 730 ft (729 to be exact), andvwent down at that. Also shecwas undoubtedly due in the near future to be converted to a self unloader.

As for these plans.....it says they were drawn by David A. McDonald in December 1978, prepared for the Great Lakes Maritime Institute and Dossin Great Lakes Museum.

Your first coat of paint is somewhat sacrificial as it will probably highlight rough spots and other defects that were not apparent before painting.  Much of it will then be sanded away.

if you are using an acrylic paint that is thinned with water it will raise the grain giving the hull an overall rough appearance; again more sanding.

I have built and still do build solid carved wood models.  In my opinion you do not need to buy a special primer for this first coat.  I have primed hulls with alkyd resin (oil based) paints, acrylic paints, and paints sprayed from hardware store rattle cans.  All work as long as they are compatible with the next coats that you are going to put on top.

As far as color goes something that is easy for your eye to find defects; probably white or light grey.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Will be posting some updated pics soon.  I've got the paint on as per the plans, as well as ref photos.

Just some comments on my first build:

1)  Always double check your plans for accuracy!  I got excited/impatient to get going and so far into my build when I realized the person I got the plans off, must have scaled them down so they fit on an easily reproducible size of paper.  Instead of being a true 1/16" - 1ft scale, they are probably about 20 - 25 % smaller than that.  Model is supposed to be approx 46 inches, but is more like 34 inches.  Makes it a pain to find fittings in appropriate size.  Beginners mistake!

2)  Get input on areas (on here or wherever) for using materials you are not familiar with or haven't worked with.  eg. I tried to use .030 styrene parts of my pilot house area and bulwarks/trim.  It does not bend easily and is very brittle.  Moved down to .020" and so much easier to work with.

3) Patience is key.  I am taking my time, not rushing, and learning new skills/methods.  Also to this point......I lack a few more important tools such as a bandsaw, so learning to improvise with what I have, or to ask my wife for for Xmas this year. ;)

4) Don't be scared to borrow/use methods of those you have gone before you.  Perfect example.....I found this build https://modelshipworld.com/topic/15581-ss-michelangelo-1962-by-shipmodel-finished-1350-scale/ and it helped me for making the front bulwark and for sure for my next build - so thank you to this member.

What a great time I've had with this....I find that if I can't squeeze in some build time on a day that I feel like I wasted some time.  :)  I am going to "make it work" on some of the finer details, mostly due to point #1.  I will have to leave things out too, as I don't have access to the correct parts, nor the skills/materials/tools to construct them, especially at how small they have to be.  Remember, this is a 730 ft ship being shrunk to about 34 inches....those are some really smaller bollards, etc!   I already have 2 more sets of plans in my possession for my next 2 builds.  One set is even of a class of ships just built in the last 10 years for the Great Lakes.  She is certainly not going to be museum quality, but something I know I will be proud to display and strive to make my next one better.

One last comment for this post.... and I know I mentioned in my intro post or another one, Great Lakes freighter stuff is HARD to find.  Fittings from places like Tom's or Bluejacket (and others) are not really in the freighter market.  Yes, a lot of fittings are pretty general, but many you just have to wing it.  I could not find a lot of parts I needed in the right scale, or at all ( like a 4 blade prop small enough! ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Carr’s Hobby Shop was just around the corner from my office.  It was an interesting place in what was then a tough neighborhood.  Curley’s Bar, his next door neighbor was the scene of all kinds of trouble, most, fortunately after dark. 

It was an old time hobby shop with a huge inventory of stuff for virtually every kind of model building.  There were all sorts of model airplanes hanging from the ceiling as well as a large inventory of model trains. He also bought and sold Lionel trains.  In addition, he had a world class collection of full size train memorabilia.

For reasons unknown, Mr Carr and I never connected.  Whenever I was in the store, any  attempt to engage him in any conversation about modeling interests was fruitless.  The last time that I visited the store I was interested in setting up Lionel trains for my grandchildren and needed a transformer.  He reluctantly admitted that he could order a new transformer from Lionel.  He died, maybe two years ago and when I read his obituary I thought, “Is this really the same guy?”  I have no idea how they disposed of all of his stuff.

A model of Edmund Fitzgerald and I believe another Laker were displayed next to the door.  I never realized that he offered kits for these ships.  They were handsome models.

Roger

Had a problem logging for a while, but figured it out!

Will be posting some updates this weekend hopefully.  Did not get much model work done this summer - just too many other things going on.  Plus I started a new build, which I will post on here an update where I am at.  Had a fittings issue, where the fittings I ordered got lost in the mail twice, so basically any builds stopped for probably 2 months!

Hi Roger: Mr Carr was little hard to get to know. I had been shopping at Carr's when I lived in the region since the 70's. I have both the Fitzgerald kit and another wooden freighter which is described as a 1930's Ore Boat.

When Mr Carr announced his retirement, he had a fairly lengthy sale at his store. When the store officially closed, Nordic Auction held two auctions in which they auctioned off the remaining items in the store and many of the collectables. When Jack passed away last year, Nordic Auction had another Auction of select items from what was described as Jack's personal collection.

You are correct that when you entered Carr's he had a model of the Fitzgerald and of a Lake Class Freighter which was named "Jack". I was fortunately able to acquire that model at the auction. I do not know the disposition of the Fitzgerald. I know it was not part of the auctions, so some lucky family member or friend must have it. It was a beautiful model. For myself, I'm very happy to have the Model of the Lake Class Ship, since I admired it every time I entered the store which was always a very special place! PS I never did go into Curly's Bar!

Dave

Hi Dave,

As I posted above, my office was nearby on Garfield Avenue.  The Lincoln Park neighborhood where Carr’s was is being cleaned up.  A number of young entrepreneurs have established businesses there; a brewery, several restaurants, and a competitor to Duluth Pack.

Curley’s Bar is still there.

Roger

• 1 year later...

I just noticed that the scale in the title should be read 1/16" - 1ft, not 1/6".  Although.....as noted above, it is actually about 3/4 of the stated size due to whoever scanned the drawings, so it's actually quite a bit smaller than it should be.

I actually started lettering on this recently, but this project was sidelined by other laker build.  Once the lettering is done and I finish up the hatch crane and hooks on the hatches she will be complete and I will post pics.