San Ildefonso by Sjors - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:70

Really, this hobby creates a huge set of questions!

That's part of what makes it fun. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

To my thinking, which could be completely wrong, I would think brass would have been used seldomly for areas that were under high stress conditions, like on a rudder. But it sure looks pretty :D. I personally have a problem seeing paint put on beautiful wood also. Whats great is we can build them as we like, and during the process discuss all the various details. As a newcomer I'm probably discussing things repeated over and over.

One thing I guess I need to invest in is a library. I have hundreds of books but nothing on ships. What would be a really good primer for getting the history of ship construction. Ive been reading Bligh's account of the mutiny after looking through the Jolly boat logs. Thought it would be dry reading but its actually quite interesting.

Keith

I use this book a lot for the plans but Story of Sail does have some great insight as to the history of ships as well.  Great thing is that it spans from the earliest branch on a log sail to the latest yachts and cargo ship sails.  I wouldn't say it's in depth since it's mostly plans but maybe a good place to start.  

Sjors,

I'm just catching up... the pictures look great!  I'll now step away and let the arguement over brass or black continue. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning to you all.

Thanks for your opinion,advise, thoughts, about the rudder.

I think I'll keep it this way and just imagine that the ship was never leave dock….

Still shiny hinges at the rudder…..

Garward and Daniel,

I can see that you are two experts about chemistry.

I'm just a simple bus driver who brings people from one stop to an other.

I tried to read the beginning of the discussion but after a few lines I'm lost  :(

Maybe it is a good idea to open in General Discussions an topic about this subject.

Then more people can join you with this and give there own meaning.

Garward:

When you look at the museum builds ,the rudders are also planked with the same wood as the hull.

Mine have only 2 layers of stain.

When I paint it black it is just like cat and dog…..

But thanks for your comment and advice.

I'm maybe a little cocky and maybe you think that I don't listen to you, believe me, I do!

I know for sure that I come to you for advice later in the build.

Someone say it before but I will say it again……this is why I join this forum.

The critisem,advice,fun and humour.

Thanks for all that.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi, Sjors, thanks for the comment! Everything is all right, I consider that such discussions of the various moments of construction of models are very useful to participants of a forum. Actually, discussions and discussions is one of important missions of a forum. But as for construction of concrete models, each modeller himself choosing how to build this model therefore your decision and will be correct, despite discussions.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Sjors, I like seeing the progress. Just my two cents here... If you've got other bright brass on your ship then I would leave your pintles and gudgeons as is to match. As for historical accuracy, these are only representations of the real thing and the beauty is the builder's interpretation. Besides, the real thing wouldn't have fired cottonballs.  ;)

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi, Sjors, thanks for the comment! Everything is all right, I consider that such discussions of the various moments of construction of models are very useful to participants of a forum. Actually, discussions and discussions is one of important missions of a forum. But as for construction of concrete models, each modeller himself choosing how to build this model therefore your decision and will be correct, despite discussions.

Thanks Garward  :)

I'm now working on the gratings and I see that you make them your self?

I can not blame you…..

This is a job that I don't want to do all the time...

Sjors, I like seeing the progress. Just my two cents here... If you've got other bright brass on your ship then I would leave your pintles and gudgeons as is to match. As for historical accuracy, these are only representations of the real thing and the beauty is the builder's interpretation. Besides, the real thing wouldn't have fired cottonballs.  ;)

Thanks Patrick,

I'll keep it the way it is at the moment.

And thanks for pointing me that Anja hide the cannonballs and I have to do it with cotton balls…..

Speaking of cotton balls, I saved this frivolous post just for you (don't let Mark see it).  I've just been promoted so, once again, I'll not be saluting you (for a while).

No popcorn, please.  But a small libation is in order :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

t3816.gif May I join in the Libations Sir? I offer a bratwurst.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

You, young lady, are always welcome.  But this IS Sjors' log so we may need to stick with popcorn .   His call :D  :D

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sarah,

You more then welcome

Augie,

Congrats on your promotion.

I think MSW lost the way….they promote everyone …...

Wayne,

Be my guest!

No popcorn this time but something else,

181.gif

13.gif

And when there more builders coming there is also a walking buffet…...

138.gif

Yes, you're right Sjors.  Even you got promoted :D  :D  :D .

Is that thing the 'Low Country' version of a pizza?  Urgently suggest that we move the celebration to a neutral location.  How about my home town ----- Brooklyn????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'd bring cookies but i ate them.  eating-cookie.gif

Yes, you're right Sjors.  Even you got promoted :D  :D  :D .

Is that thing the 'Low Country' version of a pizza?  Urgently suggest that we move the celebration to a neutral location.  How about my home town ----- Brooklyn????

Thank you, I could wait for that answer….

I thought Brooklyn is a part of New York…..

And if I come to the USA I want to see Mesa Verde and not New York.

The nice thing about this build log is that it is a smorgasbord,  we never walk away hungry.. well maybe for pictures.. <hint><hint>  :)

Sjors, you have the right idea... come to the US for the views, not the food.  Well, there is good food along the way, the views are fantastic.  I live about 60 miles from Crater Lake and I try to visit it once a year just for the view and the wonderful drive to get there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Garward  :)

I'm now working on the gratings and I see that you make them your self?

I can not blame you…..

This is a job that I don't want to do all the time...

Yes, I replaced the gratings from a kit the gratings made by my order on a milling cutter with CNC of wood a pear.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Yes Sjors, Brooklyn is in NY.  Great food.  But I'm out here in the Rockies these days so there is plenty of scenery.  Mark can keep Crater Lake --- it's just a wet hole in the ground.  I have Pikes Peak at 4300 meters above sea level.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The nice thing about this build log is that it is a smorgasbord,  we never walk away hungry.. well maybe for pictures.. <hint><hint>  :)

Sjors, you have the right idea... come to the US for the views, not the food.  Well, there is good food along the way, the views are fantastic.  I live about 60 miles from Crater Lake and I try to visit it once a year just for the view and the wonderful drive to get there.

You know Mark,

Building makes hungry and our hospitality is tremendous.

So take a seat and join us with the food.

Yes Sjors, Brooklyn is in NY.  Great food.  But I'm out here in the Rockies these days so there is plenty of scenery.  Mark can keep Crater Lake --- it's just a wet hole in the ground.  I have Pikes Peak at 4300 meters above sea level.

I think I can combine it?

Go to Mesa Verde and Crater lake…...

The only hill/mountians we have are the stairs to go above…...

Yes, Mesa Verde is also in Colorado.  It's a dry hole in the ground.  But you gotta cross the Rockies to get there.  And we can go fishing along the way.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That would be one really bad aspect of being out to sea....  no pizza delivery :D

I just finished reading Capt Blighs account of the Muntiny voyage... no pizza delivery there. Amazing feat of sailing and commanding. His food rationing saved 18 lives and left them 11 days more if needed.

So, Lt Commandore Sjors, Sir, do we get our 1/25th pound of pizza ration, Sir!

@ Sarah, thanks for the bligh journal link.

Cheers!   :cheers: , Keith  

Any poutine here? I see this wonderful banquet happening here... But no poutine....

Andy

Um....... is poutine that french fry/gravy/cheese delicacy?  You guys better start without me.......I have to go rig a boom vang.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Um....... is poutine that french fry/gravy/cheese delicacy?  You guys better start without me.......I have to go rig a boom vang.

yep... but you can only eat it if you wear flannel and can sing "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK".   I think I'll go step outside now where I have a better chance of ducking flying chainsaws.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Yeah.... You'd better duck.... :P

And real poutine really does not use "gravy". It's hard to describe really... It's not as thick, and it's got nicer flavour... There's nothing quite like tuckin' in to a big bowl of perfectly fried...fries, tangy sauce and cheese curds that squeak when you chew on 'em. Just remember to wait a bit when you're finished, before trying to move... ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Keep eating.......I gotta go rig a throat halliard

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976