RMS Lusitania by ChrisSC - FINISHED - Gunze Sangyo - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Thanks Silly_me. I'm using the Gold Medal Merchant Ship set. It has both Titanic and Lusitania specific ladders. I've had to modify a few to fit

These precut railings are really giving me a hard time on this model. In hindsight I think I would have been better off using generic railings and cutting them myself as I usually do instead of trying to make all these fit.
The wood decks and some warped parts aren't helping the fit either. The front wheelhouse was the worst so far. Not my best job of getting this one together. You only get one of each so if you mess it up you have to live with it. I'm gonna live with it lol!

95 Railings.jpg

96 Railings.jpg

97 Railings.jpg

98 Railings.jpg

99 Gold Medal Fit.jpg

The places you pointed out will probably not even be seen under normal observation. Keep up the good work

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

When they brought out these kits  I wouldn't imagine for one minute they would imagine them being super detailed  to the level you have  -  you have transformed  these kits into a thing of beauty.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very handsome ship and nice clean build Chris.  Congratulations 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Excellent work  - she is a beauty.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris, 

Your foray back into scale modeling, in particular with the glorious liners of the past, is something I too am re-embarking upon after being absent over a decade or so from the craft.  I have a previous version of this kit, the old Entex version, and I will be starting her soon after I finish my 1/350 Minicraft Titanic.  I wanted to ask you as to what bits you used in your Foredom hand tool for the railing removal, (and what bits you recommend)  and what colors you used for the hull and for the elusive "Cunard Red" as you seem to have captured the color perfectly.   Anyway, thank you for the inspiration and photos. If you have any other advice on this build, I would greatly appreciate it.    Upon looking at your other builds, it seems we really are on the same path, perhaps it's in the name, as my middle name is Christopher, lol.  Anyway, thanks for any advice and tips that you can provide.   

On 1/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, Commander Eisenkranz said:

Hello Chris, 

Your foray back into scale modeling, in particular with the glorious liners of the past, is something I too am re-embarking upon after being absent over a decade or so from the craft.  I have a previous version of this kit, the old Entex version, and I will be starting her soon after I finish my 1/350 Minicraft Titanic.  I wanted to ask you as to what bits you used in your Foredom hand tool for the railing removal, (and what bits you recommend)  and what colors you used for the hull and for the elusive "Cunard Red" as you seem to have captured the color perfectly.   Anyway, thank you for the inspiration and photos. If you have any other advice on this build, I would greatly appreciate it.    Upon looking at your other builds, it seems we really are on the same path, perhaps it's in the name, as my middle name is Christopher, lol.  Anyway, thanks for any advice and tips that you can provide.   

Thanks. Sorry I didn't see this post until tonight. The attached photo is the bit I used. I only used it on the second class railing area, and only to make enough room to get a small file in there. I wouldn't suggest using it on the hull as it jumps around too much. 

As far as any advice it would depend upon whether you are going to paint the decks or use wood decks. If using wood let me know because that is where all the trouble really is lol. I would just advise to be very careful with the sections of railing with the stanchions, they're very delicate. Also test fit. The main mast is very close where it emerges from the decks and positioning the decks correctly is critical for clearance.

For the hull I used Tamiya gloss black just so I could get the decals on better, then after that was complete I sprayed over it with a flat clear. On the lower hull I used Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red mixed with Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red. The XF-9 is almost brown right out of the bottle so I would mix enough flat red with it to suit your preference. I have been using Tamiya TS-33 Dull Red out of a spray can for the lower hulls on a few 1/600 liners I've built and have been pretty happy with that also. The funnels were two parts Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red and one part Tamiya X-6 Orange. I did an RMS Queen Elizabeth and reversed that mixture on the funnels to two parts orange and one part red. That model is here on the forum so you can compare which combination you prefer if you like.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. Good luck!

Bit.jpg

Hello Chris, thanks for the reply and the input.  Yes, I too am going to use the scaledecks decking for this and several other builds I have.  I have read through your experiences that you've posted regarding the decking, and I see that it is probably best that I sand the decks smooth, then spray them with a gloss base color and then add the decks on top.  I got that last tip from Nigel of Nigel's Modeling Bench fame on YouTube, and he mentioned these very decks and that prep method to ensure the best initial fit and adhesion with the glue.  And thanks for the heads up on the paint colors, I think your choices are excellent and I'll probably use those very same paints and mixtures for my build.  

Thanks again and happy building! 

• 2 years later...

Very nice work.  Except for the flags.  Remove the flag and fold it over a halyard line.  Then add wavy bends to the flag.  Attach the halyard to the flag pole.  The effect will be much better.  That beautiful model deserves a beautiful flag.  You can also print a flag on decal paper and apply it to white primed aluminum foil for more intricate waves.  Use a halyard on that as well.  Great work.