Flying Fish by gak1965 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:96

3 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

George K, nice work on representing the Naval Hoods, Cutwater & more lifelike figurehead on your "Flying Fish". I hope you don't mind a couple suggestions how to recapture a Clipper Bow. If you can, move the Cutwater up so it abuts the bottom of the Naval Hoods & extend it just enough so the fish figurehead is further up closer to the tip of the Naval Hoods. Then add the curved piece blending into the bottom of the Cutwater. I've attached a before & after sketch to show end results. Good luck!

20220119_143438.jpg

I understand the first part of that suggestion, but do you mean extend the stem further forward as if it is wider (longer?) than it is on the kit? To do the former, I'll need to trim down or move the dorsal fin on the fish itself (no tragedy) and actually it's not glued in place yet, so that's no big deal, but I want to make sure I'm understanding what you are suggesting.

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

George K, nice work on representing the Naval Hoods, Cutwater & more lifelike figurehead on your "Flying Fish". I hope you don't mind a couple suggestions how to recapture a Clipper Bow. If you can, move the Cutwater up so it abuts the bottom of the Naval Hoods & extend it just enough so the fish figurehead is further up closer to the tip of the Naval Hoods. Then add the curved piece blending into the bottom of the Cutwater. I've attached a before & after sketch to show end results. Good luck!

20220119_143438.jpg

To be clearer. I trimmed the fish and moved him. But are you suggesting I extend the stem into the region shown in the red below:

image.png.45a91643cf48635f3b092a32b1e059d7.png

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

3 hours ago, gak1965 said:

To be clearer. I trimmed the fish and moved him. But are you suggesting I extend the stem into the region shown in the red below:

image.png.45a91643cf48635f3b092a32b1e059d7.png

George K, yes that's absolutely right. If you look at Clipper Ships, typically their Cutwaters extend beyond the Stem. What's been so sad for McKay's Clippers is that nobody has bothered to properly incorporate the Cutwaters & Naval Hoods into their models, even though they're described in contemporary descriptions. If you look at photos of "GLORY of the SEAS" these nautical devices can all be clearly seen. Even the Scottish Clipper "Cutty Sark" has these devices. Once you've added this gracefully curving component and blended it into the bow, you'll see how your "Flying Fish" bow will more closely mirror the one in the Buttersworth painting.

George K, here's a couple illustrations of Donald McKay's first two Extreme Clippers: "Staghound" and the famous "Flying Cloud." If you look closely at "Staghound" underneath lines of the Naval Hoods and Cutwater the Stem is still visible. Incidentally both vessels are in the same exact scale. By the way, there never has been an accurate model of "Flying Cloud" including a 1/3rd scale vessel built in the '70s by the same shipwrights of Nova Scotia which built the famous HMS "Bounty" replica. Yet if you look carefully at the first illustrations of "Flying Cloud" both at her launch and advertisements from her at dockside, her Naval Hoods and Cutwater are illustrated. It's crude but they're definitely there.

20220109_152213.jpg

20220109_152432.jpg

Okay. Once the first coat of paint dries, I will fill the gap slightly, but I think that this is going to be the final form of the stem.

IMG_20220119_233208377.thumb.jpg.889b1ec7b4214d3d81b6ed6ab380534d.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions @ClipperFan

On 1/19/2022 at 11:39 PM, gak1965 said:

Okay. Once the first coat of paint dries, I will fill the gap slightly, but I think that this is going to be the final form of the stem.

IMG_20220119_233208377.thumb.jpg.889b1ec7b4214d3d81b6ed6ab380534d.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions @ClipperFan

George K, that looks so much better now. More critically, it now looks much closer to the graceful continuous bow curve both as described in MacLean's contemporary description of her at launch and as beautifully illustrated in the famous Buttersworth oil commissioned by her owners. Well done!

George K, the only other suggestion I have for your figurehead, as far as fealty to the original has to do with her paint scheme. In his Boston Daily Atlas article description, Duncan MacLean simply wrote that the figurehead was "burnished with gold and green." In life, these lovely aerobatic fish are darker above to their midline, then lighter below. Their gossamer wings have very fine lace like veins which separate into beautiful butterfly patterns. Of course, when dealing with small sculptures, less is more, due to such a diminutive scale..

3 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

George K, the only other suggestion I have for your figurehead, as far as fealty to the original has to do with her paint scheme. In his Boston Daily Atlas article description, Duncan MacLean simply wrote that the figurehead was "burnished with gold and green." In life, these lovely aerobatic fish are darker above to their midline, then lighter below. Their gossamer wings have very fine lace like veins which separate into beautiful butterfly patterns. Of course, when dealing with small sculptures, less is more, due to such a diminutive scale..

Yeah, I followed the Daily Atlas description, used gold paint and highlighted the centerline and eyes with blue green paint. Once you gild the thing, my guess is that anatomic accuracy goes out the window, and at this scale I'm disinclined to do anything more.

2 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Yeah, I followed the Daily Atlas description, used gold paint and highlighted the centerline and eyes with blue green paint. Once you gild the thing, my guess is that anatomic accuracy goes out the window, and at this scale I'm disinclined to do anything more.

George K, I wouldn't gild the figurehead at all. Burnished probably meant small highlights. Also, from the pictures, it's hard to tell that you had already paint your fish any shade of green. Meanwhile when you finish refining the small gaps in the Bow, you will have constructed one of the most accurate models of "Flying Fish" ever done. 

To anyone that has built the Fish,  it would seem like you can get maybe three holes for belaying pins on the taffrail between stanchions. That would cover like 8 stanchions, or 7.2 cm. Does that seem right to you all?

A brief update.

Over the last several days, I completed the taffrail, although it required making each piece something like three times. For ease of construction, I split the taffrail into 5 sections, a (roughly) semicircular stern, two straight segments that I was able to dry bend to follow the curve of the hull without problem, and two quadrant shaped sections that were the forward terminus. The stanchions are Britannia castings that had small centering knobs on both ends. I carved the after segment out of a piece of 1/16 thick basswood, and then drilled holes approximately 9 mm apart that were used to center the glued stanchions. I then filled in any gaps with putty and sanded the top of the rail as below:

IMG_20220122_223251449.thumb.jpg.e90730263432c07c7a5031029e0f7e8f.jpg

You will note that the centering pin on the bottom of the stanchions have been removed. Based on my experience making the taffrail, I wanted nothing to do with drilling the topgallant rail, and anyway, trying to locate the holes struck me as virtually impossible, so I cut off the centering pins and ground the bottoms of the stanchions flat. They were then painted white and made ready to install.

In the meantime I had to make the part of the taffrail that would have the belaying pins. My original thought was to drill holes 9 mm apart for the stanchions. After those holes had been drilled, in the sections with the belaying pins, I would move 1.5 mm forward of the stanchion hole and drill a belaying pin hole, shift 3 mm drill a belaying pin whole, and then shift 3 mm and drill another belaying pin whole, at that point 1.5 mm from the next stanchion. Locate the stanchion, rinse, repeat. That would yield a uniform row of 3 mm spaced (center to center) belaying pin holes that straddled the stanchions. Unfortunately, 1.5 mm was too close for holes that were about 1 mm, and inevitably I would get split wood. So, I made a slight change, spacing the stanchions 10 mm, and then putting the belaying pin holes 2, 5, and 8 mm from the preceding stanchion. What that means is that the belaying pins are in groups of 3, spaced 3 mm, followed by a 4 mm gap, followed by 3 pins spaced 3 mm, followed by a 4 mm gap, etc. I used the same technique (more or less that I did with the pinrails, except drilling 4 holes each time (3 pin holes and the next stanchion hole), and aligning on the new stanchion hole:

IMG_20220123_224144726_HDR.thumb.jpg.3045728ad0a2eea43bded8680a5a6fe2.jpg

As can be seen in the upper part of the image, I installed the stanchions as on the stern, and clipped/ground off the bottom locating pin. The two quadrant shaped ends were carved out of 1/8 x 1/4 inch boxwood. Everything was painted and then installed. You can see the result below:

IMG_20220124_224851752_HDR.thumb.jpg.4cf033cc063c2a9488057c247a26c7d8.jpg

IMG_20220124_224900432.thumb.jpg.1a614ee58ecf40506d2579a8033bcf18.jpg

The groups of three are definitely present, but there are plenty of holes in the mizzen mast area. Looking at the photo, it also appears that I bent the patent vent - will need to fix that.

As always, thanks for looking in and for the likes.

Regards,

George K

Brief masting update. As you will recall, I made a first pass at the main mast using a 1/4 by 1/4 inch core, and 1/4 by 3/16 inch "wings" using 3/16 by 3/16 inch inserts to mimic the wedges where the mast hoops went, and that the mast was unusable because it was poorly centered. I made another pass at this as below:IMG_20220127_205220788_HDR.thumb.jpg.76eab600bd34f0f32124fee4f982f7a4.jpg

The center piece on the right side has the top of the spar marked, where I will need to trim some to fit the mast cap, and continues into the chuck on the left side (which will be the end that is inserted into the deck. This yielded the following mast:

IMG_20220127_223613443_HDR.thumb.jpg.33db78942f4b5552e8659d0ee4fda043.jpg

It wasn't perfect, but it seemed usable until I stupidly cut off the mast top rather than the base so that it would fit properly into the ship. In any case, even though it felt usable, I wasn't happy with it. It looked a lot like the picture of the model, but not like the plans. Looking at them more carefully, I noticed that although mast should be 1/4" square at the cap end, the core of the mast was 3/16" at scale, not 1/4". So, I took the same strategy as before, except that the core piece was 3/16" square, the "wings" were 3/16" square, and the wedges made of 3/16" square material. After lathing, I got something that I was much happier with, as shown here sitting in its location on the ship:

IMG_20220129_143128489.thumb.jpg.96f87ce485806b63092e1622989da2ce.jpg

It's even and more obviously a built mast. I'm happy with this one, and will make the second one the same way. The mast isn't complete, I will need to sheath the core with 1/32" wood on all of flat surfaces in order to obtain the 1/4" diameter up to the mast cap. but on the whole I'm satisfied.

Incidentally, I went to the store the other day to get some more 3/16 square basswood stock and they had none. The guy at the store seemed to indicate that they aren't getting much. Big chunks of this mast were made from 3/16" square stock that I built from spare 1/16 by 3/16" stock. It turned just fine, so I will probably get rid of a bunch of such stock making the foremast.

As always, thanks for looking in.

George K

Nice work George. Great technique on building up the mast. This is one of the reasons I shelved my build because I could not figure out how to make these look right. I was all over the place with it, down to even trying to figure out how to carve the longitudinal groves in the round stock and piecing the wedges in their locations. This method seems to work just perfectly. Definitely filing this away for the future. Thanks for the tutorial. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Hi George,

I just started following your build and I am in awe. You describe how you "machined" the masts but the artistry still seems like sculpting to me 😃  

Warm regards and thanks for sharing inspirational energy through your craft (and for sharing so many awesome ideas).....

BrianK

Good job George.   It took me a couple attempts to make mine right too.  

The first time I ever made a composite mast was for my first attempt to only cut out the chapel grooves from stock round material.   The technique worked real well.  Didn’t need a lathe…….just a mini table saw.  

Good job George. 

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

12 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Nice work George. Great technique on building up the mast. This is one of the reasons I shelved my build because I could not figure out how to make these look right. I was all over the place with it, down to even trying to figure out how to carve the longitudinal groves in the round stock and piecing the wedges in their locations. This method seems to work just perfectly. Definitely filing this away for the future. Thanks for the tutorial. 

-Brian

George, I just want to add in that the most impressive feat you professional level modelers display is your willingness to scratch build practically anything. More amazing, is how you make it look so easy too. Great work!

16 hours ago, mbp521 said:

-Brian

nice work George. 

Briańpn, no need to be put off, i was myself u till i figured it out my way.  its fairly easy and even enjoying and quick - 1 hour work even without any need of power tools. ill post method on my build. Vlad 

On 1/29/2022 at 6:22 PM, mbp521 said:

I was all over the place with it, down to even trying to figure out how to carve the longitudinal groves in the round stock and piecing the wedges in their locations. 

On 1/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, rwiederrich said:

The first time I ever made a composite mast was for my first attempt to only cut out the chapel grooves from stock round material.   The technique worked real well.  Didn’t need a lathe…….just a mini table saw.  

Thank you both for the compliments. The instructions suggest cutting the grooves in the round stock but that seemed really hard to me. Proof again that there are many ways to solve a problem, and it's easier if someone else (i.e. Rob) had already demonstrated the method on his builds.

11 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Briań, no need to be put off, i was myself until i figured it out my way.  its fairly easy and even enjoying and quick - 1 hour work even without any need of power tools. ill post method on my build. Vlad 

Vlad, looking forward to seeing this other option.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:22 PM, mbp521 said:

This is one of the reasons I shelved my build because I could not figure out how to make these look right. I was all over the place with it, down to even trying to figure out how to carve the longitudinal groves in the round stock and piecing the wedges in their locations. This method seems to work just perfectly. Definitely filing this away for the future. Thanks for the tutorial. 

-Brian

I'm certain it will look awesome when completed from what you've shown of the build so far, and the amazing skill in your USS Cairo.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, BrianK said:

Hi George,

I just started following your build and I am in awe. You describe how you "machined" the masts but the artistry still seems like sculpting to me 😃  

Warm regards and thanks for sharing inspirational energy through your craft (and for sharing so many awesome ideas).....

BrianK

Thanks! But machining it is - I have zero talent for sculpture!

Understood George. I am suddenly reminded of the episode of *MASH* where Frank and Margaret want a bust carved of Colonel Potter. The local carpenter-turned artist hands a piece of wood to Frank as a sample of his work. Frank says "looks likes a 2x4". The artist replies as he cradles the piece: "Thank you. It used to be round." 😃 

BrianK

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

Understood George. I am suddenly reminded of the episode of *MASH* where Frank and Margaret want a bust carved of Colonel Potter. The local carpenter-turned artist hands a piece of wood to Frank as a sample of his work. Frank says "looks likes a 2x4". The artist replies as he cradles the piece: "Thank you. It used to be round." 😃 

BrianK

I seem to recall the bust turned out more or less okay...

I thought so too. I recall Frank was not so happy in the scene and said it looked like the artist. But the colonel was happy, which is the important bit.......

Anyway, your round-from-square masts are masterpieces and I am filing that technique away for future use! 😃

BrianK

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been almost a month since the last update. Partially because the work I was doing was repetitive and not changing the appearance of the ship all that much, partially because I spent some time visiting my older daughter in Boise, and partially because I've had a long list of backed up house maintenance items that needed completion. However, an update on some progress that has been made.

First, I turned the lower foremast the same as the lower main. The result (unpainted, but in situ) are shown below. 

IMG_20220215_213942147.thumb.jpg.269ba3a380258d85b781a6d8973458dd.jpg

It isn't much different, the dimensions of the built portions are about 3/8 inch shorter, the square element only 1/8 inch shorter, reflecting the relatively similar sizes of the two built spars.

Next, I built the windlass handles on the poop deck. I used a slightly different design than shown in the diagrams which struck me as being sturdier. In any case it is installed:

IMG_20220226_004412220.thumb.jpg.dc1b255206005304fe4face21223bbbe.jpg

Most of the rest of the work has been to build out the chains and the chain plates. First the chains, the upper chains flat, the lower chains wider at the root and narrower at the plate end. Notches were made for the various chain plates and then they were painted, the necessary eyebolts added, and installed on the port and starboard sides of the ship. I set the notches up according to the plans so that when the plates are added, they should align with the direction of the relevant shroud or stay. Once the plates are made, I will add a thin, black painted strip to the outer ends to retain the plates and deadeyes.

IMG_20220215_214344282.thumb.jpg.b2fb3433990f2ddd11d7782ae9ac2f7a.jpg

IMG_20220226_004423791.thumb.jpg.2d6e143882c853c05a2770d306a5b5a3.jpg

Finally, I've begun making the deadeyes. I started by making 32 wire loops from 17 mm pieces of 24 gauge wire as below:

IMG_20220215_213921624.thumb.jpg.c7a52f643c05c545c3f2fcab5a70809e.jpg

Unfortunately, they all needed to be about 1 mm longer to readily fit around the deadeyes and leave enough room for the blackened brass strip that is the plate itself to fit in, so I've been making new ones from 18 mm of 24 gauge brass wire. I've also ordered a set of better drill bits, as the ones I have are really terrible for cutting the nail holes in the brass strip. By the time that they arrive I hope to have all of the shroud deadeyes stropped and ready for fitting on the ship and the plates ready to be cut to length and have the necessary holes drilled for the nails that are representing the bolts.

Until then, more soldering.

As always, thanks for looking in, and for the likes and encouragement.

Regards,

George K

Edited by gak1965
New loops made from 18 mm, not 19 mm of wire

2 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Well, it's been almost a month since the last update. Partially because the work I was doing was repetitive and not changing the appearance of the ship all that much, partially because I spent some time visiting my older daughter in Boise, and partially because I've had a long list of backed up house maintenance items that needed completion. However, an update on some progress that has been made.

First, I turned the lower foremast the same as the lower main. The result (unpainted, but in situ) are shown below. 

IMG_20220215_213942147.thumb.jpg.269ba3a380258d85b781a6d8973458dd.jpg

It isn't much different, the dimensions of the built portions are about 3/8 inch shorter, the square element only 1/8 inch shorter, reflecting the relatively similar sizes of the two built spars.

Next, I built the windlass handles on the poop deck. I used a slightly different design than shown in the diagrams which struck me as being sturdier. In any case it is installed:

IMG_20220226_004412220.thumb.jpg.dc1b255206005304fe4face21223bbbe.jpg

Most of the rest of the work has been to build out the chains and the chain plates. First the chains, the upper chains flat, the lower chains wider at the root and narrower at the plate end. Notches were made for the various chain plates and then they were painted, the necessary eyebolts added, and installed on the port and starboard sides of the ship. I set the notches up according to the plans so that when the plates are added, they should align with the direction of the relevant shroud or stay. Once the plates are made, I will add a thin, black painted strip to the outer ends to retain the plates and deadeyes.

IMG_20220215_214344282.thumb.jpg.b2fb3433990f2ddd11d7782ae9ac2f7a.jpg

IMG_20220226_004423791.thumb.jpg.2d6e143882c853c05a2770d306a5b5a3.jpg

Finally, I've begun making the deadeyes. I started by making 32 wire loops from 17 mm pieces of 24 gauge wire as below:

IMG_20220215_213921624.thumb.jpg.c7a52f643c05c545c3f2fcab5a70809e.jpg

Unfortunately, they all needed to be about 1 mm longer to readily fit around the deadeyes and leave enough room for the blackened brass strip that is the plate itself to fit in, so I've been making new ones from 19 mm of 24 gauge brass wire. I've also ordered a set of better drill bits, as the ones I have are really terrible for cutting the nail holes in the brass strip. By the time that they arrive I hope to have all of the shroud deadeyes stropped and ready for fitting on the ship and the plates ready to be cut to length and have the necessary holes drilled for the nails that are representing the bolts.

Until then, more soldering.

As always, thanks for looking in, and for the likes and encouragement.

Regards,

George K

she is very nice George some details i was scared to make on 1:72 scale glory. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting progress on the Fish. After my error described in the last post, I made 32, 18 mm circumference wire loops and fitted them to 32 of the largest deadeyes, pushing the wire into the channel in the deadeyes and leaving a rectangular section at one end to insert blackened brass strip that will become the chain plate. Actually, I probably made more like 60 of the loops, as, in the process of fitting the loops around the deadeyes and forming the attachment point, I think I snapped one for every one that was successfully manufactured. Nevertheless, they are made and ready to start installation.

I had cut the chains according to the patterns on the plans so that the chainplates will align with the shrouds. This meant that each plate would have to be of a different length in order to ensure that the bottoms of the preventers would run (more or less) along the same line. So, I measured the distance between the lower chains and the top of the preventer off the plans and put a piece of Tamiya tape on the hull so that the top of the tape is where I wanted to upper bolt on the preventer to end.IMG_20220313_113459067.thumb.jpg.8d103a9c1f8ece345730f6215a0481d5.jpg

(it's about 6 mm). I then took a deadeye with the brass strip attached, fitted it to the correct pair of cutouts on the chains, and carefully bent the brass strip so that the it would hit the hull at the top of the tape. I then put the bent deadeye/chainplate into a jig to hold it in place, and carefully drilled two holes 4 mm apart. (the lines are 4 mm).

IMG_20220313_114551499.thumb.jpg.03b155ff9018d4c3495f5cf27722818e.jpg

I did this for the 6 chainplates the hold the shrouds (in this case for the port side main mast) and marked them with tape so I'd know which is which. Next I removed the tape and used CA glue to attach the 6 chainplates to the chains, but didn't glue where they attach to the hull.

IMG_20220313_135204516_HDR.thumb.jpg.b151138176c96cfd5789fc4f10bf4009.jpg

From there, I glued a pre-painted black strip over the two chains, since the plates are not on the outer edge of the chains, but rather pass through. I only covered the shroud plates at this time, as I will need to do something similar for the backstays.

IMG_20220313_135400693_HDR.thumb.jpg.a7ed57a752da786e21042cdf923c8519.jpg

Finally, I used a pin vise to drill holes in the hull for the bolts, and used small nails dipped in CA to secure them in place.

IMG_20220313_141026225_HDR.thumb.jpg.e670d1bf29535c420e3a9448f8511c63.jpg

It's not perfect, but this is the 'non-display' side and I suspect I will get better as I go. It is definitely better than I did with the Niagara, and I think that the concept is generally sound. Here is another view:

IMG_20220313_141033938_HDR.thumb.jpg.8df386ddae3d089ffbd8eef437c3600b.jpg

I also built up the core of the lower mizzen mast. It is solid, not built, but I turned it more or less the same way I did the other masts because it struck me as easier to wind up with a nice square core where the top will live rather than trying to cut out a square from round stock. Anyway, I think it looks nice.

IMG_20220313_141101199_HDR.thumb.jpg.e3d475f148951f9dd9b41ca8d11dcf70.jpg

One question. I've been detailing and painting the ship's boats, and I was wondering about how standardized the loadings of them would have been. The plans say to set all three boats on the deckhouse with the boat bows facing forward. They would seem to 'pack' better, with more room on the the roof of the deckhouse if the cutter and the Captain's gig had their bows facing aft and the longboat had its bow facing forward. One of the boats needs a bit of touch up before I mount it, but I would be curious if anyone has any thoughts here.

IMG_20220313_141048152_HDR.thumb.jpg.d8a980af61f6ba4cc822f2a5a2ee2447.jpg

As always, thanks for looking in and the encouragement!

Regards,

George K

George,

Nifty little jig for drilling your chainplates. Good idea to leave them attached to the strip that way. Makes it much easier to work with. 

As for the boat configuration, I’m not sure if there was a standard configuration for them but it would make more sense to load them up where they fit better, but also leave room between them to work around when deploying or stowing them. Just my opinion. 

She’s really coming along nicely. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways