A Model Builder’s Cabin

I was sharing a studio (converted garage) with the admiral who is a potter, but we found that it didn’t really work to best effect for both of us. Serious pottery is a pretty messy business and she needed the extra space I was taking up as her business grew. I was relegated to the basement last year. So after I got back this fall from my latest construction gig up north I set to building a small model workshop for myself just out back, which I’m just finishing. The cabin is a compact 10x14 and is fully insulated and heated with a small 240v system. It houses an electrical sub panel for my level 2 car charging power unit, and I extended the roof to create a carport. This will be my light duty workshop for model building and assorted projects. I’m an architect and builder so my main power equipment (compressors, saws, planers etc) is located in another space. I created one long wall hung 14’ bench on the one side, and the other houses various tables I use. I’ve yet to install the flooring and all my small modeling tools but you get the idea. Shortly I’ll be setting up here to finish the final rigging stage of my Bounty, and then move on to my next victim.

7E974402-1043-4949-A696-C3B47D623EC1.jpeg

487FB7FB-23F3-496C-922F-699CFCF2F2BA.jpeg

38A337F1-989C-450E-A387-03028F54573F.jpeg

4F7505AA-1CDE-4683-B2CD-A82A4886DCF7.jpeg

CA537E99-E5C4-4E1A-9FF0-A42A866A6363.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

This looks fantastic, Tim!  Well done.  I'm jealous, certainly.  I've been relegated to a short workbench in our garage for the last few years. 

But there was a time when I had a small lean-to shed off the back of an accessory garage on our last property.  It was small, but cozy and perfect.  There's something nice about a separate space to use as a craft retreat.  Enjoy!

-EKE

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

Looks great. I'm getting ready to convert a portion of a barn into a workshop myself. Like how you did the counter and nice placement of outlets above

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Tim, the new model shop looks fantastic, love the old wooden drafting table in the corner as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks guys for the kind comments. Yes I think both of us will be happy in our own workspace since we are together every hour of the day right now! The drafting table is actually my wife’s old drawing board. She thought it was a good fit in there and she was bang on. Presently looking for a recycled drafting stool to go with it. Funny you mention the barn conversion Barkeater - I’m about to start constructing a workshop in a barn for a friend here, just working out a plan for partitioning it off and a scheme for introducing natural light which I think is key to a satisfactory creative space. 

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Tim,

Well, looks like both of us have separated ourselves (albeit only a short distance) from The Admiral and the ever-searching, ever-reaching Cat!!! Kudos on Your Shop - it looks like it will serve you well. I think your compact size & layout looks great and should provide a suitable space for model construction.

However, you may want to invest in a home RADAR unit, in case The Admiral's pottery project goes belly-up and things start flying thru the air - LOL!!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA