Hello from Plymouth, Devon

FlyingFish

After a 'pause' of 40 years I have come back to modelling through the lockdown opportunity to be creative. Those forty years have been spent working as an educator in secondary (high) school, and now retired with a passion for working with traditional tools (albeit in a very amateur way) I have found great happiness and fulfillment in getting back to my roots creatively. Living in an area of great maritime history is obviously an asset for the hobby.

My first project has been a scratch-built traditional lapstrake or clinker built Irish lake fishing boat, based on photographs of a Lough Corrib boat. It is made from poplar and iroko. I have fly- fished for trout in this kind of boat in the past, and although they are all now made of GRP these beautiful old boats drift slowly and surely down the foam lanes and are a great platform for what we call 'lough style' wet fly fishing over here. 

Here are a photo of it almost complete...884491975_CPQU3518(1)_1280.JPG.51b787b97fc92c3b02c4c777bdcfb4a6.JPG

I also scratch modelled a seagull outboard of the 1950's made here in south England.

EXZI5534_1280.thumb.JPG.8e56df5d62592942b2ca57b418703579.JPG

Having whetted my whistle, and got a little confidence back I'm researching two more boats, this time one lapstrake and one carvel built, both traditional to the south west of England. I plan to build these next year.

Meanwhile, I decided to try a project that is designed to develop my skills (having read Chris's warning to newcomers!) to make sure I don't take on more than I can chew.

This is to build a 1:20 scratch build scale model of Orca (from Jaws). I've spent a month researching, including the great build from ndeconte on this site, who has done a tremendous job. I rejected all the plans I found so far as most are very inaccurate, and I am drawing my own. I am planning to build it from the keel up as a carvel build boat including the ribbing and planking, rather than a balsa or r/c type build based on frames. I am drawing the plans at the moment.

Would welcome all advice from you experts out there, not least of which is help on the most puzzling aspect so far... Orca appears to have a mast about 5" to port of the centerline which may be because the lobster boat Warlock upon which it was built had no mast and a cabin door frame on the centerline, as far as I can see.

So lots to learn, and I'm loving it!

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Warm welcome   to our little piece of paradise, you have chosen the right place to share your work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Welcome to MSW, Flying Fish.   I hope you'll start a log for your Orca.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello from Sussex and a warm welcome to MSW. You are clearly fearless if you used iroko in that lovely boat.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

38 minutes ago, FlyingFish said:

Thanks for the welcome guys - yes, will consider a log Mark, and Bruce - I'm probably more ignorant than fearless!

We are all equal here  - just different levels of it  - one thing we share  (well about Twenty actually)  Humour, whit, love of food,  humour, more whit,   oh  and cant foreget food,   mixed in with that some building.😉☺️

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

:sign:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Nice model,

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum