Greetings from California

Jeddahbill

Hello!  Just joined up and hope to learn from the beautiful work being done here.  I usually model in plastic or resin, but have done a few wood kits and really enjoy working with wood.   Looking forward to doing more wood kits and recently acquired a few that will probably challenge me, so I will be posting and seeking help as things progress.

Regards,

Bill

Welcome to MSW Bill! 

Make sure to start a build log when you start your model, that way we can help and watch your progress as you go.

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

A warm welcome to MSW.  :722972270:

Where in California do you hail from?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome from a California ex-pat living in the Deep South! I was raised in Humboldt County, but lived in Bay Area, SoCal, and Mariposa County at various times.

3 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

Where in California do you hail from?

I'm curious, too!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Welcome to MSW, Bill.   Do start a build log for your project.  It's the best way to get help and met folks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, Bill. I'd also recommend you start a build log when you begin your build. A great way to get feedback, help, advice and encouragement.

The instructions are here:

Steven

Thanks everyone!  I am located in Murrieta which is in southwest Riverside County.   Not the best of Southern California, but not the worst either.  I am nearly finished with the Artesania Latina Swift, but have work in progress photos from the beginning which I will post as a build log shortly.

Bill

There are a couple good model clubs in your general area. if you are interested.  Not much activity due to COVID, but...

The Ship Modelers Association (SMA) meets up in Fullerton.  The San Diego Ship Modelers Guild meets in San Diego at the San Diego Maritime Museum on the ferry BERKELEY.  While in person meetings are on hold, they have been holding meeting virtually for the past 2 months.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 3 months later...

Like Chuck says the SMA is hosting virtual meetings twice a week and anyone is welcome to attend. They are usually the first and third Wednesday of the month. Send me a private message and I'll send you a link if you are interested. You are about half way between San Diego and Fullerton where we meet but I live in Yorba Linda and my in-laws live in Murrieta so I am there often. There's nothing like hands on help with this hobby. I'm actually in San Diego visiting my Marine Corp grandson.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134