SC-1 by LEGION 12 - Dumas - 1/35 Scale - Sub Chaser

9 hours ago, LEGION 12 said:

My shop walls are covered in expanded foam . 😀

Not quite what I was talking about.

The stuff I was talking about is the stuff you find as spacers in the box on almost every electronic device or toy you buy theses days. It is also available in assorted sizes. (This is what the RC airplane guys use to make almost any plane in existence and some flying things that were never meant to fly at all.

https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

You can buy nice clean ready to build with new foam, or you can do like we did twenty something years ago and go dumpster diving behind our local big box store and pretty much get the same thing for free. Gasoline melts this stuff in seconds but maybe you can find a safer solution. I suppose you could use heat as well but you would want to possibly experiment first. I just said what we did.  I did not say it was the only way or even a recommended way to remove the foam once it has done it's job.

Here it is using Acetone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecxZ5umaa5I but Acetone could affect the fiberglass hull that you want to keep as well. Don't know. I only made a hull using this method once.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey all managed to get very little done this week , works been busy . A question if I may I have gone  thru Popeyes PT build and it's helped a lot also checked out the scratch build PBR Mark 1 by Thistle , both are using the Basswood sheets for there builds instead of planks  . My question I have are there any builds using this method with a hull shape similar to what I am attempting to build ?  Trying to get a better idea of how to attack this . Thanks Rich . 

You may find that in building a rounded bilge hull like you are that using planks will be the easier method of covering. PT and PBR type boats are hard chine and take panels much easier.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

that's why I did it in sections.   the plastic sheeting supplied in the PT kit are quite long,  roughly half the length of the hull.  I chose to sheet it two sections at a time.   working on the port side first...... your first cut will be along the edge you will lay at the keel.......line the edge to the left to the transom bulkhead,  but give it a tiny bit extra for sanding purposes.  I notice that the plank you have along the gunwale is slotted to fit there,  so you can use it as the line to trim the bottom.  wrapping the piece around the bulkheads,  you can mark that line to trim off,  and get a sense of where the third bulkhead is.

the number plan might not be that way......I may be backwards,  but I don't have the plans in front of me.  if using that gunwale plank is a bother,  you can always remove it and replace it later when the hull is sheeted.  all this will depend on you gluing it back on the board though......I hope you did that.  you  can do two sections at a time until the hull begins to narrow to the bow......then you may need to cover only one section at a time,  until the last section........you might be able to do two sections then.  there is a picture of the plastic sheeting in the PT log.......using it would have meant a lot of extra work.  it will take some measuring and fitting,  but it can be done ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I was just looking at he frame again.........I'm counting backwards than the instructions {I saw the number of some of the bulkheads.  you can always do this too.........  if the bow looks too daunting,  you can always sheet the aft section up to the the turn to the bow,  and then plank the rest.  I will say this though.......don't use the balsa and use narrower planking....what is that.....5 to 7 mm wide balsa strip?   yea,  that's too wide...5 would be max I think ;) 

bee sure to fare the bow bulkheads.......the aft bulkheads aren't that critical. be sure to secure the plank to each bulkhead until it dries ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

that's why I did it in sections.   the plastic sheeting supplied in the PT kit are quite long,  roughly half the length of the hull.  I chose to sheet it two sections at a time.   working on the port side first...... your first cut will be along the edge you will lay at the keel.......line the edge to the left to the transom bulkhead,  but give it a tiny bit extra for sanding purposes.  I notice that the plank you have along the gunwale is slotted to fit there,  so you can use it as the line to trim the bottom.  wrapping the piece around the bulkheads,  you can mark that line to trim off,  and get a sense of where the third bulkhead is.

the number plan might not be that way......I may be backwards,  but I don't have the plans in front of me.  if using that gunwale plank is a bother,  you can always remove it and replace it later when the hull is sheeted.  all this will depend on you gluing it back on the board though......I hope you did that.  you  can do two sections at a time until the hull begins to narrow to the bow......then you may need to cover only one section at a time,  until the last section........you might be able to do two sections then.  there is a picture of the plastic sheeting in the PT log.......using it would have meant a lot of extra work.  it will take some measuring and fitting,  but it can be done ;) 

Thanks guys the plank along the gunwale is a stringer , after I sand that and the bulkheads flush I will glue it back on the building board , a step I didn't do before and wouldn't of even noticed it if not for removing the planks . I bought more basswood sheets than I will need just in case . I will give it a shot dry fitting everything first before committing to gluing . One more question what did you use to cut the basswood I am assuming a sharp knife should do the trick . 

extra basswood sheet is always good........every time I go to Hobby Lobby,  I always buy at least a couple sheets.   I used a simple box cutter to trim the sheeting to shape,  leaving a tiny bit for sanding.  it's one of my go to tools for wood modeling.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Hi all hope everyone is well . Haven't posted in awhile , but I have managed to get some work done . I didn't use the basswood sheets , was getting frustrated and decided to use the balsa planks that came with the kit . The results came out better than I hoped , no major gaps or issues I did have to shim a couple of the bulwarks . IMG-20210316-163126405-HDR.jpg

I kind of thought that might happen. The real ships were plank construction not sheet so it would stand to reason the the model would work out better that way as well. Congratulations!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

if the sheeting is cut right,  it can be done.......I've done it.  good you chose a direction and went with it......this is the hardest part.  once your finished planking and satisfied with how it came out,  the rest will be a lot easier. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 year later...

Good luck with this build

Mostly just signing in to follow this Dumas build. I have one of their older and discontinued kits that I've been puttering with occasionally for 30+ years. The instructions are extremely poor and much of the wood was junk and mostly replaced by better.

Oh and what balsa shortage? Just because wind turbine blades use it doesn't make it a shortage. It just increases the price by a lot

• 2 weeks later...