Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

Lovely work there on this iconic ship.

As for jumping over to other builds, it doe's give you more interest and motivation, but not to many projects I find other wise you lose the plot fast. :(

Great research going on and build  here.

As Keith on his tracks, there metal with pins to make them move if ness, there's so much out there now that's usefull for all sorts of modelling.

Frank :piratebo5:

Edited by foxy

The tracks are ye old rubber band style supplied with the kit- i have discovered a company called fruilmodel who manufacture white metal tank tracks- a very extensive range acually- so using these to replace the tamiya tracks, and any future armour builds including trumpeter and dragon models kits.

Keith

Edited by clearway

Hi Frank;  Thanks for dropping by and thank you for the kind words.

Moving along (slowly) I soaked 1/8" x 1/16" basswood strips in hot water for about an hour, and used the actual model to form the foremost sections of the topgallant rail, leaving to dry overnight.  Once the catheads are fixed in place, these will be mounted and blended in to the rest of the railing, finally completing this step.  It would have been much harder to install detailed catheads after installing the rail, so I'm happy with the progress.  I'm also adding two more frame extensions near the toilets that needed to be added to the inside of the bulwarks before the rail is in place.  I hope to have some meaningful pictures in the next couple of days, but I'm taking my time to hopefully prevent any major screw-ups.

Cheers, :cheers:

~Bob

post-3909-0-42502000-1411943357_thumb.jpg

Catheads are mounted, with brackets attached just inboard of the bulwarks.  Also added the pins that affix the very inboard ends to the deck.  Not too happy with the way the white paint turned out;  I may have to clean it up a bit.  Also added two more frame extensions where the toilets will sit.  Now I'm finally ready to add the last of the topgallant rails.

post-3909-0-77266500-1412135563_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-35476200-1412135573_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-99247000-1412135594_thumb.jpg

Good progress, Bob. Good luck with rails. Top rails give VERY visible line to model, and that can be hard to shape

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

nice progress Bob.....the catheads look sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ok.   All topgallant railing is now installed, and sanding is almost complete.  Final staining will follow shortly.

This is a major milestone for me, as the bulwarks are now structurally complete, and everything is tied together.  It was amazing to see how these 1/32" basswood bulwarks got progressively stronger as the stanchions, panel strips, and railings were installed.

post-3909-0-13798400-1412528882_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-26945800-1412528901_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-59899000-1412528914_thumb.jpg

Exelent job. Everything fits well, and things come to their places.

I am satisfied

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks, Nenad.  I am satisfied.  Things could have been done better, (but they always could be done better; ad infinitum..)

I think it's time for the rudder, now that I'm comfortable inverting the hull once again.  I'll also be checking out the copper plating, and touching up any damage I don't like.

As far as little sailors go, only the runaway Piggy pokes his head out from time to time... ;)

Well, I was going to use the kit-supplied die-cut plywood rudder, but It seems to be missing now.  I rather like the 40+ year old plywood from this Billings kit, as it is more dense than the plywood I have on hand, so I will be making the rudder stock from 3/16" square basswood (easier to shape rounded at the top), and the rudder blade from a piece of the original plywood meant for the stand.

post-3909-0-29945900-1412545455_thumb.jpg

Keit is right, and I appologize

From Wiki: ...Windjammers are sometimes confused with clippers, but there are significant differences between them...

My english ...

Rummors ... Runaway pig was seen week ago somewhere around Horn !

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

And watch carefully this pictures

post-4738-0-53339100-1412598941_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-60654500-1412598942_thumb.jpg

Those small notches on rudder and on stern provide possibility to make distance from rudder to stern to be narrow enough, when you start to mount hinges. I did not success to do this correctly, because I was inpatient too much, and this are really microscopic moves in such a scale.

What is your plan for hinges ?

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks for the kind words, Keith;  glad to hear someone else using his T and F drill...

Nenad;  thanks for the detailed photo;  page 153 of Campell's China Tea Clippers shows very detailed drawings of rudders, including the fairing pieces (triangular pieces running the length of the rudder and sternpost where they meet.  It is too late to duplicate this on the sternpost, but I'll probably file the triangular surface onto the rudder, and notch accordingly.

This picture shows the rudder in place, temporarily held by a small removable nail at the bottom.

I'm not sure what material I'll be fashioning the hinges from, probably AL can, but I won't be able to solder.  (I don't have the equipment yet to solder structurally, anyhow.)  The rudder sits very solidly without any glue, just held by the rudder stock and small nail, so the hinges will not need to bear any loads.

post-3909-0-65462700-1412633465_thumb.jpg

Alright;  I've shaped the fairing piece outline on the rudder;  next will be determining where to place the notches.  They are bigger than needed in order to provide clearance when removing the rudder for repairs.  Also testing out gudgeons with aluminum can pieces...

post-3909-0-35435700-1412639500_thumb.jpg

Well now, this is weird..

I fashioned a test gudgeon from AL can  (I think I washed and cut out three cans back when I was making rivet strips, and have a ton of material left to work with..)  I fiddled with it off and on, on both the rudder and sternpost, ignoring the inside with the painted beer can markings..

But when I went to photo it up close, the inside read "..try it.  I know you.." 

I swear I did not do this on purpose;  but what are the chances?!

post-3909-0-37999100-1412640018_thumb.jpg

Ok, small side note to convince everyone (and myself) that I'm not losing my mind...

I cut apart three or four aluminum cans several months back, flattened them out, and squared them up roughly.  I have a little bin with many different sized AL strips cut from these sheets, some with rivet detail, some without. I just happened to pick out one with legible printing on the obverse side...

post-3909-0-37070900-1412641299_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-58325700-1412641309_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-98365200-1412641320_thumb.jpg

Edited by rfolsom

Moving along...  I like the way the gudgeons are turning out, and forming them over the small nails that I will use as pintles is working out well.  This is mainly Nenad's technique, but I won't be soldering anything.  I will probably use CA; but I'll be test fitting before a final decision is made.  I will now find out where the rudder notches will be finally located;  after they are cut, I can start the rudder coppering.

I am very much not superstitious, but now I have the look at the back of my AL strips.... :P

post-3909-0-24357200-1412643686_thumb.jpg

Hiden truth in beer can rised up and tell you message you need to know. Coincidence? A sign ? Conspirative message from runaway pig? Hmmmm

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: