Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

Sometimes is hard to find time for Her ?

Happy holidays, my frirnd to you and Admiral!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

looking wonderful!  It looks like we make our dead-eyes using the same method  ;)

We are doing well.  Unfortunately, I've been on travel for the past month or so.  I plan on being in the workshop this weekend!! (Admiral's Mother will be spending the holidays with us. I want to make sure that they have quality time together. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, Friends!!

I wish all of you the best for you and your families in 2015.

I stumbled upon a you tube video on embossing metal cans...

Not sure if the link can work..  But it might seem to solve my problem with the scrollwork...

I took the time to test the metal embossing techniques used by this person, and were very satisfied with the results, of about 10 minutes of testing...

These are only tests, and were made with a ballpoint pen and aluminum from a beer can....post-3909-0-69238100-1420276403_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-91498800-1420276470_thumb.jpg

Briliant idea if you like beer (or bear)

Can you make thiner lines?

Happy new year, my friend

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

More testing will come in the near future;  I've looked into many methods of fabricating the scroll detail, but this one seems the easiest, cheapest, and possibly the best resulting one for someone with very little artistic talent such as me.  (I've tried some of Nenad and Marc's techniques, but I wasn't able to succeed.)

Bob, think about to share this on Ct. Steve log "Kit basher ..."

Looks very interesting, and make me very unpatiente to see final result

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hmmm..  thought I had pics posted of the sheaves.. 

Like a small child who gets a 'grape popsicle'  and is happy with it, then sees sister with a 'cherry popsicle' he all of a sudden wants it....

This is how I feel about my chosen sheave color of black after seeing Marc and Nenad's white...

Ah, well.. 

Anyhow, broken drill bit shows where the boat davit crosses the aft sheave block, and all holes are pre-drilled, with a notch cut in the sheave block to provide clearance for the davit.

post-3909-0-29198100-1420624825_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-85451000-1420624844_thumb.jpg

Edited by rfolsom

It's looking good Bob! Your pictures are so good it's hard to appreciate the scale and the tiny size of some of these pieces.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I do believe Piggy has settled down ...

Little piggy = little mess

Bigg piggy = big mess

Couple of little piggies = chaos on workbench

Keep them safe, Bob

;)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hmmm..  thought I had pics posted of the sheaves.. 

Like a small child who gets a 'grape popsicle'  and is happy with it, then sees sister with a 'cherry popsicle' he all of a sudden wants it....

This is how I feel about my chosen sheave color of black after seeing Marc and Nenad's white...

Ah, well.. 

Anyhow, broken drill bit shows where the boat davit crosses the aft sheave block, and all holes are pre-drilled, with a notch cut in the sheave block to provide clearance for the davit.

Funny, I like yours better than mine. :)

I guess we always want the other flavor Popsicle...

Good to see the piggies!

Edited by keelhauled

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone;

I hate to post any "Non ship" comments; but I have to say that myself, and all my apartment neighbors are being thrown out of our homes when out leases are up.  Henceforth, I will be moving back to Nebraska.  If any of you are thinking about moving to the "Wonderful State of Colorado" think twice.  It is horrible out here.  America's experiment with legalizing marijuana is proving itself wrong.  The pot-smokers are moving in; and the land developers don't give a rat's *** about anything but their money.

Hope to see all of you soon when I get out of here.

Bob

sorry to hear that Bob.........see what happens when 'floodgates' are opened?!?!   hope you make a smooth transition and get back to posting soon :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, there's tons of room in Columbus. LOL. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Keep on, my friend. We already miss your posts. Hope everything will come in line soon and smoth

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi rfolsom.

How are you finding the instructions for your Billing kit.

I have a kit of the Lila Dan topsail schooner that I haven't started. It was a gift and I am more interested in fully-rigged ships.

I found the instructions lacking.

Current Build : HMS Halifax - Constructo Kit - Scale 1:35

The Halifax was purchased in 1768 by The Royal Navy at transformed at Portsmouth into a colonial schooner.

Sorry to here about your misfortune Bob. It's a sad truth in this country, about money out-weighing all things right or wrong. Good luck in your re-location.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I can sympathize.  When my lease expired the landlord refused to renew it.  His reason was financial.  He was going to remodel the entire building into deluxe condos.  The area was becoming gentrified and he was going to cash in.  It was not fun looking for a new place to live.

David B

Bob,

I'm sorry to hear your bad news. I hope your move will bring you good fortune and a better place to live. Florida has no state income tax and the weather is pretty nice, in case your open to considering the southeast.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry;  Florida sounds great; but what's the average cost for a 1 bedroom apt??

It's like most places in respect that it depends on what part of the state you want to live and how close to a big city (ugggg). Big cities such as Miami are pricey, but sometimes where you work limits your location choices. I looked near Ocala for a family member a year or two ago and 3BR rental homes started @$900/month. The further south or closer to the ocean/gulf the more expensive, but in reality your never far from either even if your located in midstate like us. If you want to look around ck out ads in http://ocala4sale.com/ Note that at the top of the page you will find links for the same type  xyz4sale at numerous locations around the State. GOOD LUCK!!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Wow.  I'd never had thought Florida prices would be that reasonable.  That's pretty much comparable to Nebraska prices.  Here in the Denver metro area, $900 would get you a reasonable 500 sq ft. 1 bd. apartment.  The sad fact here is that rent is going crazy everywhere.  So, who's to say if I find a nice 1 bedroom apt. for $1100 here, another property owner could swoop in and purchase the property, throw everyone out again, and jack the price up to $1500....

I'm from Nebraska originally, so that's where I'm going.  People say "eww,,, why Nebraska??"  but Lincoln is far more cleaner, safer, friendly, and believe it nor not, more upscale and worldly than Denver.  Despite being 11 times bigger than Lincoln, Denver is probably 20 years behind in everything else.