Cutty Sark by rfolsom - Billing Boats

Bob,  many out there have had to either add or take something when we thought we were done.  The fun part is hiding the fact so nobody knows about it. ;)

David B

Thanks, Keith;  That's exactly what I had to tell myself in order to get these %^$ things on.  Out of the 78 panels that will be mounted, I told myself I will cut out and replace the worst five, then leave it as it is.

I have a feeling that, even at completion and all rigging and fittings are in place, I'll still stare at this area...

Hopefully nobody else will... :D

Edited by rfolsom

Hmmm.  Had a flashback to when I was 12 or 13 years old.  The neighbor across the street was trying to repair a major dent in his car by spraying primer repeatedly, over and over and over again.  My Uncle went over and said "No, there's a better way to do this...."

Not too sure why this thought popped into my head, but it seems applicable somewhere...

Edited by rfolsom

... but it seems applicable somewhere...

Please, do not apply this on your model ... my experience is ( with panel rail) - as much thinner layer of color as it is possible, and there comes Acrylic paints because you can adjust their strength and transparency. If some place is too much transparent, see if it "can pass" as weathering ...  

Maybe when you crash your car ... or leg ... or head ... ( considering I am 190 cm high, I regularly more than once time every month literary bang my head on something sharp in home or on another place ... and I had many layers of different things on my bald head) 

:)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Something like that, deep diving in some law text, I losed sense of time, and Admiral's call for lunch get me back to the planet

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

The shim strips are 1/16" by 1/32", out of the same stock I planked the deck with.  I'm sanding the excess away to make 1/32" square shims after mounting.  The shims in the bow area overhang the metal uprights, but should be hidden effectively by the topgallent rail....  This will hopefully make everything evenly aligned  all around the perimeter of the ship before the topgallent rail is installed.

post-3909-0-31275100-1406441795_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-06926300-1406441827_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-51298300-1406442047_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the need for the shims, in the sternmost area of the panel strips.  the area aft of the panel strips, even though stained here, will be planked over with three rows of horizontal 1/16" planks, after the deck margin planks are finished.  The error in this area is increased to close to 1/16" so I'll adjust accordingly....

post-3909-0-55284300-1406442285_thumb.jpg

Edited by rfolsom

the additional height to the bulwark is a good fix Bob.......once sanded and painted, it will never be seen.

don't be kicking yourself too much.....you've put detail in that I've never seen in any build of this fine ship. definitely shows the 'labor of love' and effort.....you are very much commended for it! to see how the hull is shaping up, makes one wonder what surprises are in store by the time you get to the masting ;) keep up the good work !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nice work, my friend. Keep on

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

lovely work, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Now working on the stern inner bulwark area aft of the white panel strips;  curved margin plank almost finished (masking tape to prevent deck marring while sanding far aft margin plank); and first of three lengthwise "strakes" laid directly on the inner bulwarks and against the margin plank;  note the discrepancy in the height of the white panel molding strips and existing bulwarks;  as mentioned before, this will be made up by the "shim strips" .  The three inside strakes should fit just about right when everything is said and done,  and then will be stained...

post-3909-0-80058700-1406687573_thumb.jpg

Stern inner bulwark planking almost done;  I soaked each plank for about 30 min, and formed it to the bulwarks clamping with clothespins and allowing to dry.  I then removed the plank, cut to size, and glued it on.  After forming the top plank while wet, I found that it had "glued itself" on when dry; the residual wood glue from the previous plank must have watered out and glued it, leaving a small gap between planks.  Hopefully after sanding and staining, it won't be noticeable. (along with the clothespin dent)

One more port side plank to go, and then the trim strip behind can  be sanded flush, along the entire perimeter of the ship.

The next major hurdle after sanding, touching up, etc. will be completing and installing the catheads before finally laying down the topgallant rail.

post-3909-0-65962400-1406844275_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-61154500-1406844286_thumb.jpg

Now I'm done with the stern inner bulwark planking.  Just need to stain.  This pretty much completes the inner bulwarks;  I had previously said that I would cut out the worst five ovals and replace them.  Not anymore;  I am going to have to live with it, or I'll drive myself crazy :rolleyes: .

You can see all the imperfections in these photos...  Good advice from Nenad:  Don't take macro photos!  It does look ok from a normal viewing angle, and there's a heck of a lot more stuff to go on to hide it...

Cheers,

~Bob

post-3909-0-94814600-1406854654_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-29657000-1406854669_thumb.jpg

post-3909-0-03138100-1406854680_thumb.jpg

After looking at photos of the stern area to help me with bulwark shaping, I inevitably ran into many pictures of the ship's wheel box.  (Is that even a right term?)  So, on another tangent, I decided  to do some measuring and fiddling.  Campbell's plans are very sparse in this area, so I brought up one of Lou's photos (#26 on his OneDrive) and did some measuring directly from the photo.  It's easy to assume that board widths would be standardized in inches at the time, and I'll be willing to bet each board on the side of the box is 6 inches wide.  From there I interpolated most of the dimensions, (not the wheel, yet)  And drew up these preliminary plans:  (the aft "feet" will need to be shortened to give the proper angle of the box).  Side dimension does not show the top.  For those that have visited the actual ship, please let me know about any gross inaccuracies...

post-3909-0-77217100-1406861940_thumb.jpg

Edited by rfolsom

the lid is hinged in the middle- your drawing looks about right and its called the wheelhouse- try googling cutty sark and clicking on images there are loads of pics online. Those panels on the t'gallant rail look mighty nice :D .

Keith

P.S. found this pic- hope it helps

post-12326-0-08227500-1406879461.jpeg

Edited by clearway

If you find usefull

post-4738-0-27606600-1406889165.jpg

post-4738-0-97807200-1406889166.jpg

post-4738-0-23351100-1406889169_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-60063800-1406889170.jpg

post-4738-0-47084200-1406889172_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-17020400-1406889173.jpg

post-4738-0-90228100-1406889173.jpg

post-4738-0-46079000-1406889175.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks, Keith and Nenad;  very useful indeed.  Does the wheelhouse itself taper from fore to aft? Or is it just the perspective?  I know the angle that it sits is not level with the deck...  Anyone?

Edited by rfolsom

See next Lou`s picture 

post-4738-0-51401200-1406890523.jpg

Maybe Michael Mott ( http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/user/202-michael-mott/ ) can answer, He was on CS and has some private pictures

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

And it could not be so hard to you to re size I suppose ?

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: