Golden Hind by Tomasz B - OcCre - 1/85

On 3/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, Tomasz B said:

HI. really ? they didnt used ones? hmmm dont know that...i am trying to follow occre instructions and peterson and lenhard books..

as i mentioned this wessel is my first wooden ship from this period and only one with sails...

If you are using the Lenarth Petersson book Rigging Period Ship Models it does not necessarily apply to the Golden Hind as his book is based on one contemporary model from the 18th century so is not applicable for a ship of the 16th century.    Regarding instructions from OcCre, they are not to be trusted without first doing your own research to see what they provide is accurate and what may be their own fantasies.  

Still, you are to be congratulated on your very neat workmanship!!!   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

If you are using the Lenarth Petersson book Rigging Period Ship Models it does not necessarily apply to the Golden Hind as his book is based on one contemporary model from the 18th century so is not applicable for a ship of the 16th century.    Regarding instructions from OcCre, they are not to be trusted without first doing your own research to see what they provide is accurate and what may be their own fantasies.  

Still, you are to be congratulated on your very neat workmanship!!!   

Allan

Thx a lot. I do research but it looks like there is not much about 15th to 16th century ships unfortunately...

Golden hind was disassembled on beginning of 1600th so this ship based on technology from 1500-1570. I believe is much easier find information about ships from 17th till now....i try my best...😁

Your work is to be commended and the fact that you have done some research is great to hear.  If you have not already checked these, for rigging closer to the era of the GH,  books by R.C. Anderson and David Lees are likely to be more accurate as they go back, in detail, to the mid 17th century.   Perfect sources???  Probably not as they are quite a few years after GH, but more likely to be closer to GH than anything else other than contemporary sources.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

9 hours ago, allanyed said:

Your work is to be commended and the fact that you have done some research is great to hear.  If you have not already checked these, for rigging closer to the era of the GH,  books by R.C. Anderson and David Lees are likely to be more accurate as they go back, in detail, to the mid 17th century.   Perfect sources???  Probably not as they are quite a few years after GH, but more likely to be closer to GH than anything else other than contemporary sources.

Allan

The earliest one with belaying pins is Vasa i think... Not necessarily British ships should be builded same way but most likely back days nation's share they technology or spy them just like now.😁so maybe they have ones......

Considering there is little or no reliable information for this period. I always look at which method was most common in drawings and paintings.
Example: painting the sides of the hull (the arrows were the most common). This also applies to my rigging.

IMG_20180216_182912.thumb.jpg.79f2ac3e6b8319120006d22be84b0b57.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

20 minutes ago, Baker said:

Considering there is little or no reliable information for this period. I always look at which method was most common in drawings and paintings.
Example: painting the sides of the hull (the arrows were the most common). This also applies to my rigging.

Thx nice to know that how to spot things from paintings.i will bear in mind that .

hm i have arrows to 😀

Here is my favourite tools i made long time ago  (like 20 years old they are)  for my card models.20220311_205941.thumb.jpg.abf74ad8ad49bedc771befe20f9a1890.jpg

this precision screwdrivers was grinded down to shape it like a chisel very flat chisel but works with wood very easy.20220311_205914.thumb.jpg.fc59714c90c9a6fe34b23166db6512c7.jpg

this needles was cut down and guitar string inserted to push materials out.

Finally made this chisels out of high carbon push rods...

20220311_210003.thumb.jpg.a9ca694bb7bd287913462d250d4a11ff.jpg

20220311_210025.thumb.jpg.d5648dd5d0af46db2c51b6ee33aad319.jpg

took me 1 day to make them but worth it...

Hi there!

Nice tool collection. How do you and other people cut the needles so nicely? I tried with standard pliers but that only squeezes the needle at the point where I cut it.

Also, yes Tomasz, I grew up with Maly Modelarz as well. :)

Rgds,

Radek

3 hours ago, RdK said:

Hi there!

Nice tool collection. How do you and other people cut the needles so nicely? I tried with standard pliers but that only squeezes the needle at the point where I cut it.

Also, yes Tomasz, I grew up with Maly Modelarz as well. :)

Rgds,

Radek

Hi. slide in wire (in my case guitar strings, i play guitar so i always have many of them😁)

and cut with wire saw.then used sawing needle to open it up if it closed and used dremel diamond cone like file to sharpen it...

Edited by Tomasz B

• 2 weeks later...

Solution??

Upside down... (Clumsy me on a smartphone)😅

20220331_195124.thumb.jpg.2d6b1f2482ec63315bb536b8245c57bb.jpg20220331_195103.thumb.jpg.f06cd8ae3918b93a14ce478e630c572f.jpg20220331_195045.thumb.jpg.890af1196a1952a82d2edc53e3b2d65e.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 3/31/2022 at 6:58 PM, Baker said:

Solution??

Upside down... (Clumsy me on a smartphone)😅

Hi. Luckily i can flip my phone upside down 🤣🤣🤣

Not exactly, all I found they should go through the boards to main deck somewhere. Sadly my boards have no openings so have to find another solution or drill ones ...don't know yet.i could just glue them anywhere like occre said but it doesn't make sense for me....

This is running rigging so they have to be attached to something so they can be tied up quickly or loosen fast imo....

• 4 months later...

Hello again. Just a little work done since last time on GH.

Did change the look of the anchors and make rope for them.

image.thumb.jpeg.53a87ee155457255a0d1a0d65ee140c0.jpegfrom this to this    20220817_205251.thumb.jpg.9c6f0f1ad7dbd4cb412b74b1414cd2dd.jpg  20220817_201121.thumb.jpg.4b6b32db004e57c047c9d785fb03736c.jpg

so here i did that openings in the side board i was thinking about last time no idea they are correct but this is my only option i think, also make some parrels. 

Meantime started new model of paper card steam train.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, Ferrus Manus said:

I've found that, generally speaking, when Kirill4 has something to say, you listen.²

Hi. Thx for opinion.  Yes i did listen and i really thanks to mr kirill4 for help.

To be honest i should not start this model at first ,instead i should do something much simpler so i could learn everything from beginning. 

I think you have done a marvelous job on the Golden Hinde. I am currently painting the hull on mine right now. I am likely to come back to your log when i really get into the finer details of the kit. I am building the 1/96 version by Revell. I might even use it as an excuse to buy a book on the rigging of renaissance and early modern ships. The color scheme is different on your Golden Hinde, yours seems to be the paint job Drake settled on when attempting to disguise his ship as a Spanish vessel. Eventually i will attempt wood ships, and maybe even a scratch build or two. But for now, i am working on a small, relaxing model. I will be following this log closely and see all the progress on the rigging. I am hoping to learn a thing or two from seeing it happen. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 12:21 AM, Ferrus Manus said:

I think you have done a marvelous job on the Golden Hinde. I am currently painting the hull on mine right now. I am likely to come back to your log when i really get into the finer details of the kit. I am building the 1/96 version by Revell. I might even use it as an excuse to buy a book on the rigging of renaissance and early modern ships. The color scheme is different on your Golden Hinde, yours seems to be the paint job Drake settled on when attempting to disguise his ship as a Spanish vessel. Eventually i will attempt wood ships, and maybe even a scratch build or two. But for now, i am working on a small, relaxing model. I will be following this log closely and see all the progress on the rigging. I am hoping to learn a thing or two from seeing it happen. 

Apologies for  so late reply.

Currently i am struggling with my rigging so much i have to rest from it (and no much time) but i still do little here  little there. 

I had to paint it because my kit was missing this strips sticker alike but to be honest i am glad they where missing paint looks way better.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:55 AM, Mroberts2m4 said:

I am about to start this kit. I am not impressed with the windows and door and looking for ideas to improve this 

Yes they doesn't looks good i still think to remove them and replace it.

I am trying to change so many things on it maybe i will run out of time 1day.😁