Lowell Grand Banks Dory by bobandlucy - Finished - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

Hello all. This is my first model boat. Previous model experience was as a boy, plastic cars and one balsa wood plane. I don't think I finished any of them. I think I'm going to finish this one soon. I started on December 28. I did a lot of reading and gathering of tools and supplies as I waited for the model to arrive, and also read every build log on this model that I could find. I made a spreadsheet with a link to each log, and noted the specific tips I thought were pertinent or unique in each, so when I arrived at that particular stage I could identify which log applied without re-reading them all. I think I will do the same when I start the next model.

103_0744.thumb.JPG.4e600d8a83381ec9b6f899d3bfc4cdff.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Nice start on your build.  This is an excellent kit for the first time builder.  I look forward to following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Now is where I ran into some trouble. The instructions are to overlay the frame pieces on the plan to assemble. However, the plans are not to scale. If I were to do over again, I would have resized the plan before proceeding. What I did was assemble as best I could with the object of maintaining a flat bottom on each frame. It worked, but caused some dimensional inaccuracies and of course made things a little more difficult later on. Sorry for poor photo. . .

103_0684.thumb.JPG.eec4f11a1d94e0cf40fa22e4bca52b97.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

3 minutes ago, Ryland Craze said:

Nice start on your build.  This is an excellent kit for the first time builder.  I look forward to following your build log.

Thank you Ryland. Yes, I'm very pleased with the kit - as a former specifications writer I know how difficult it can be to convey instructions clearly. They did a pretty good job of it, while keeping the cost (really) reasonable for entry level modelers.

Adding the cleats. I had some glue squeeze-out at the intersection of the bottom and the first plank that I wish I'd taken care of on the spot. My attempts to remove the glue scared me somewhat, and I decided to live with it on this model. I did a better job, I think, after that.

103_0716.thumb.JPG.cc54ca81ef0960049525afb786096c43.JPG103_0719.thumb.JPG.ecd576d24852d368386c72f73b446581.JPG

I decided to stain the thwarts. This is where the framing inaccuracies show the most, as the boat is a little wider in the middle that what was intended. But overall I'm very happy with the addition of the red oak stain color. I did not seal them with poly (yet) because afraid I would screw it up. I can't find the wipe-on poly in matte or satin at our local historic hardware store ( wonderful store called Placerville Hardware, I love going there). I might just do the tops of the thwarts at a later time. I put in a couple of the tholes and had to stop because doing that almost made my head explode. . . also, I thought better to get the becketts in prior, in order to not break the tholes. Maybe that's why the instructions are written as they are!

1753807756_pic11.jpg.f135a7c1c89dcda37a94629430f83063.jpg

Edited by bobandlucy

Very nicely done! This model is perfect for people without prior ship modeling experience and it looks like you are doing a nice job on this one. The addition of stain thwarts looks really great as well. Getting close to the end, any ideas for the next build? 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

10 minutes ago, Keithbrad80 said:

Very nicely done! This model is perfect for people without prior ship modeling experience and it looks like you are doing a nice job on this one. The addition of stain thwarts looks really great as well. Getting close to the end, any ideas for the next build? 

Bradley

Thanks, Bradley! I am always in danger of succumbing to perfectionism, which is not realistic in my case. I seem to have overcome this disease!

I bought the Norwegian Sailing Pram, that's next.

Bob

Edited by bobandlucy

Nice result for a first wooden boat build, Bob. Every build is a learning process. You'll find the next model will benefit from your experience building this one.

Well done!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

7 minutes ago, druxey said:

Nice result for a first wooden boat build, Bob. Every build is a learning process. You'll find the next model will benefit from your experience building this one.

Well done!

Thanks very much, Druxey! I did get better results than I had rights to expect. I'm so glad I did not build the model I bought first, AL's King of the Mississippi.

b

pic 12.jpg

Bob: So many folk buy an elaborate first kit and quickly run onto the rocks. You are smart in beginning small and working up. Even a 'simple' model isn't that simple, as you've found out!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Congratulations on finishing your dory.  You did an excellent job on building this model.  I look forward to seeing your pram build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

A beautiful boat!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Very nice work, and congrats on finishing this model!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)