Hello from Aberdeenshire, UK

alanbuchan

Hi Everyone. I’m Alan and live in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

I’ve dabbled a bit modelling a few years ago and actually completed Billings “Norden” back then. 

I’m looking to get back into the groove and have a few projects in mind.

Before I hung up the tools, I actually started Billings “Mary Ann” so I have the keel, deck and a few planks fitted and I intend to get pick that up again. Looking at it now (and the finished Norden) I can see many (embarrassing) mistakes so I’m intending to call on the collective advice of you good folks to help me along the way.

I also have a Sergal "Thermopylae" in the box which I got as a kit from a friend as a present and I’m afraid to say has lain untouched since that kind gesture. Time to rectify that methinks. Thermopylae is particularly interesting to me as it was built here in Aberdeen and is a fine looking ship. Also have the Aberdeen Maritime Museum locally for plenty inspiration and reference.

I also have lots of connections to offshore Oil and Gas having spent many years on service vessels, but my main interest is the fishing (herring) industry as both my Grandfathers and extended family were fishermen working on North Sea trawlers out of Fraserburgh. My Father was a carpenter and worked in a small boat yard pretty much all his working life – J & G Forbes in Sandhaven, Aberdeenshire and I’ve been looking to see if there is some model available with connection to that yard. I remember well the huge excitement as a boy to watch the launch down the slips of these fine crafted fishing vessels -- good memories. I was delighted to see that the Vanguard Fifie “Lady Eleanor” is based on the Fifie “Reaper” which was actually build at J & G Forbes in 1901, way before my father’s time but non the less I think this will be my next project after Thermopylae.

Probably then tackle Vanguard Zulu “Lady Isabella” …. keeping to the herring fishing theme and if I can find a seine net trawler kit modelled on something built and used in the North Sea in 60’s / 70’s then I’ll have a look at that or alternatively maybe something completely different such as “HMS Terror” which alongside “HMS Erebus” has such a fascinating story in the ice navigating for the Northwest Passage.

So, I’ve plenty plans but certainly currently don’t have the skills and craft to do these fine models justice but my intention is to learn as much as I can.  

Glad to be part of the community and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Cheers

Alan

Welcome Alan,

Everyone here is very friendly and helpful, and even more - there are loads of Fifie and Zulu builds on here.

Some of those builds are stock but there are others that have been bashed into something even more wonderful. Chris Watton's Vanguard Models is a great source of such kits and can even supply sails. There are also other very good manufacturers of similar kits, some being steam powered.

Your big problem will be  that you will probably spend weeks trawling this site wandering from one great build to another before you ever get round to starting a build!

Best regards,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

Welcome to MSW, Alan.   My suggestion is open a build log on your ships you're working on and when ready to start a new project, open a log for that.  It's probably the best way to get help and also meet other builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Alan and welcome to MSW from Sussex.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Alan,

welcome back to the ship modeling world!

Here are excellent building blogs with good solutions & ideas.

I’am fascinated with offshore suppliers & AHT’s and will hopefully build one soon. 
I even had a chance to visit some in Newfoundland.

All the best and good luck with your build.

Hermann

Welcome aboard!!!    For the fishing vessels, I assume you are in contact with the museum regarding plans that they may have.   I have had luck in the past getting copies of plans from boat yards as well as long as I committed to not building a full size vessel from them.

Looking forward to your build!!

Lang may yer lum reek

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

from south of the border😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

Once I get the workstation setup and get building I’ll setup a log.

Allan,

good suggestion of the Maritime museum being a source for plans. I’ll investigate once they reopen after the COVID lockdown. 

Richard,

I know what you mean about the build logs. They are an inspiration and I’ve been spending many a happy hour or so trawling through some fantastic builds. 

thanks again everyone.

alan