HMS Speedy by Theodosius - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thank you all for the likes! 🙂

@mugje, thanks dude, but there is still a lot of room for improvement 😉

I was not sold on the white oars:

20230907_090721hbe1j.jpg

So I repainted them, even if it was not so easy as the first time, when they were still on the sprue. Nevertheless, like the brown a little bit more, fit out the rest and but it on the boat for a photo shooting:

20230907_100048b3c6k.jpg

Because I did'nt paint the hull, I could not use the photetchparts for the rudder. Instead I faked the hinges with paper strips. Only the macro shows the shrotcommings of this:

20230907_100118rwfnw.jpg

Some final views before the launch will be get stored to prevent damage during the rigging:

20230907_10013960eyf.jpg

20230907_100151l1ec9.jpg

Perhaps the both securing-lines are too thick (0-6mm). If there are more lines on board from the rigging, eventually I will use some thinner one here.

And its very possible, that I will tune down the bright yellow, if I look closer at the photos...

Edited by Theodosius

On 9/7/2023 at 9:36 AM, Theodosius said:

there is still a lot of room for improvement 😉

There will always be ways to improve, that's what makes the modelling hobby so compelling.

However, I can see nothing wrong with your work at all. To me it all looks excellent. I've enjoyed reading this build log today as well as admiring the boat. It has been very entertaining and helpful. Thank you.

Thank you all for your thumbs up, much appreciated :-).

@Jack-in-the-Blue:Thank you too! And yes, it's all about the jurney and not the goal. But the curve for what you aim for is allways steeper than the curve for what you have learned allready :-). But otherwise this hobby would'nt have such a good long time motivation, has it not? :-).

Anchors next. No problems, but I'm not sure, if it's realy worth to serve the rings? Ok, for storage reasons I will dissassemble the anchors again. Yust sain, because they need some touch up work, cleaning exessive glue and black paint, that comes then during the final assembly on the ship after rigging.

20230915_1120298ffx8.jpg

20230915_1132244cc6i.jpg

20230915_113231bkd8f.jpg

I totaly forgot to ask: is the PROXXON DB250 the powertool of choice, when it comes to the masts and spars? Thanks for your help! 🙂

Edited by Theodosius
add queston for the right tools...

Thank you all for looking in and for your thumbs up, much appreciated! 🙂

Ok, back to fun (work :-)), I have another question:

I started with the masts, nothing to see jet, but still a first insecurity regarding the plattforms(?):

20230920_074207hkfxk.jpg

My reference here is Longridges's "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships". I know that the book is about HMS Victory, and not HMS Speedy, but they are from the same navy/time/area, so similar building rules must be used. Am I wrong here?

In the book there are severel drawings which shows very clearly, that the top timbers (ribs?) on top of the plattforms are tapered from the hole in the middle to about half or a little bit more of the length.

I tryied to mark it in this picture:

pfeillae6l.jpg

My marks are very thin, I hope you can see 'em :-).

So my question is: is it the right way to taper all the top timbers the way I marked one of em, or is it all bul*sh*t, and I can spare that work?

I did'nt found anything in my Speedy-plan-sheets regarding this, so perhaps the easy way is the right one, but I want to be shure of that. Now it would be quite easy to file them all down.

Thank you all for your help! :-)

Thank's to the great advice I got here on the "Masting, rigging and sails" section from @allanyed, @TBlack and @druxey, I taperd the timbers and cut some adds to enhance/enlarge the ribs:

20230923_123307m7i5k.jpg

Glued em on and filed em flush to the outsides:

20230924_124423sjek0.jpg

Problem here: some of them would lock the cut-through for the deadeys iron bands. So I looked again more careful at the drawings that @allanyed had pinned into that fred, I also need to decide what shape my enhancemends need to get.

Damn: My plattforms don't have that sandwich construction, that would match the drawing, especialy at the backsinde. You can argue with some enlargemants at the fromt but not at the back.

It would make total sense to rebuild the plattforms with all the neded layers. In the lack of materials and to-scale drawings for this particular model, I decided against a new build. But this could be something to do for my next build.

In the end I removed my enhancemnd but the ones at the front, taper them and call it a day:

20230924_1301110ldkr.jpg

Perhaps I will remove the surviving ones also and pack it under the money for nothing category 🙂

Still dissatisfied with my fighting tops (?), I looked closly at the drawing provided by @allanyed again to find something to improve. Don't get me wrong here, there is absolutly nothing wrong with the provided plattforms by the kit. I just want 'more' :-).

So I added filler pieces at the front and the gunwale at the aft of the plattform.

As you can see, my woodworking skills needs to improve further, but at least I have done something just with drawings as a source, that was very satisfieying :-):

20230929_150659ukdrg.jpg

20230929_1506069fcow.jpg

20230929_1506237tfd9.jpg

20230929_150638hxco1.jpg

As allways: the errors are in the macros are much more prominent than in 'real life', but, that's just a poor excuse for poor work, lol.

Main problem: as you can clearly seen, my filler pieces don't look that good, because I sanded the chamfer in lack of propper tools. Well, piece of wood in one hand and a sanding stick in the other: the outcome of that setup is clear visible...

Well, I have another plattform to do, so I will improve my work there. Because I still not have a planer, what would propably the right tool for the job, I used my disc sander instead:

20230926_145915fye2r.jpg

Wow, muuuuch better:

20230926_150650apctm.jpg

Still not perfect, because I was not able to bring an even force over the whole length of the strip to the sander, my strips became a little bit of a trapezoid (?). Does'nt matter at all, because I have to cut the strips much thinner then I needet them to be able to put em on the sander.

But if I need at some point longer strips than just a vew cm's, I need a different approach.

@Thukydides: thanks for your thumbs up! 🙂

@TBlack: thanks for your comment, much appreciated! 🙂

@mugje: thants for your nice words! I think I need more tools... 🙂

Bending the chamfered strip:

20230929_174046f4da3.jpg

The finished result:

20230930_174822ocfm9.jpg

And both plattforms together:

20230930_174746kwi3x.jpg

I tryed to cut the round holes in the gunwale to a square again. Well, more practise needet :-).

The second plattform is better than the first one, I think on my fifth or seventh ship, then they may turn out good :-). 

Nevertheless, it was fun to make this little addons.

21 minutes ago, Theodosius said:

on my fifth or seventh ship, then they may turn out good :-).

That is how I feel about most of my work. But to make matters worse, the better you get at it the higher your standards get, so it is a never ending cycle of disatisfaction 😃.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

@Thukydides: so true! When I was junger, I did dancing as a competition and there we said: I still can't spinn properly, but on a much higer level 🙂

Hello and a happy new year!

Still fightig an infect, but lately I could start again building the model.

I thought I could go with the bow sprit. First time I needet to taper some dowels. Even though I baught the proxxon DB250, I had my issues to get it right. The end of the dowel, that has to be held by the tip/spike gets wobbly during the tapering process, because the hole from the tip became bigger and the dowel now was not hold any more. Addional to that, the tip of the dowel brokes because of that, when the tip became to thin.

Any help/idears how I can improve this process for all the other spars that are still to do?

I used sanding sticks and sand paper for the tapering process.

Nevertheless, in the end I could fabricate the three dowels for the bow sprit (three with the flying jig-boom(?)). The thickes one, I managed to get an very slight oval form on the tapered end because of my lack doin it properly. Ok, it is barley to see, but is something I would like to sort out before I proceed with the booms and yards.

Needet some filler on the block, but it will be get painted, so no problem here. The seven-degree angel in the block and the dowel was done with a disk sander, where I could put the tapble with the right angle.

Enough words, some photos:

*problem: my old picture host might not proceed in the distant future, so I try to upload them here on the page. Don't know if this works...

20240106_154228.jpg

20240106_154255.jpg

20240106_125848.jpg

HELP: the picture are muuuuch toooo big! How can I change this? Thanks a alot!

Edited by Theodosius
help because of picture size!

The pictures resize to fit the screen of the person viewing. I have never had an issue, I just upload them here and insert them.

On the issues with tapering I can't help much as I do it using a drill so there is all sorts of wobbling going on. That being said I have seen people using guides that you allow your spar to go through which might help. Have you tried searching the problem her on the forums, I often find if I am having an issue, I am not the first to have done so and searching often turns up the answer.

Just jumping in to say what a lovely build this is. Currently tackling the Flirt as my first model, and it is inspiring to see what you've been able to achieve with your first. Reading through your trails and tribulations with the plywood bulwarks sounded very familiar.

Not to derail the conversation, but waaaaay back in the first couple posts there was a discussion about how useful it would be for the bulkheads to have etched lines showing how far to pre bevel them before assembling, and it was mentioned that the Flirt would have that detail. My Flirt kit does not have any additional lines on the bulkheads, even though the manual does make mention of them. I've run across a couple other minor inconsistencies between the manual and the parts, so perhaps some changes were made to the kit over the years?

Edit: Oh, and the photos in your latest post look normal to me on a desktop browser.

Edited by jereremy

Jeremy

Current build: HMS Flirt

@all for your visit! And thank's a lot for the thumbs up! :-)

@Thukydides: yeah, the pictures are fine as they are, my fault! I'm happy, that it is so easy to use the forum also as a picture host for the build-logs! :-)

I tried to search for similar tapering problems here on the forum. Found something, but not exactly what I was looking for. Don't look hard enough, I think! Perhaps it's also just a fact of not enough practice on my side.

@jereremy: thank's a lot for looin in and leaving an nice comment! I remember the discussion about the 'to-taper-lines' on the bulkheads. I think missing them is a little bit of a beginners thing. It would have helped me, but when one take his time during the fairing process, the outcome does not differ because of the lines being there or not.
Often enough I was just afraid of, I could damage something, what I could not repair later. So mostly I sandet not enough and not to much. But better this way, I think :-). Oh, and sorry, I don't know at what time this has changed during a revision of the kits from @Chris Watton.

Continued, but not much. Addet the pe-parts to the bow sprit and also addet some paint:

20240108_095801.thumb.jpg.87ca9c4613b57ee5b7fe9b924a72bd06.jpg

Now, I have a problem with the measurings of the fore- and mainmast:

I have read in some other Flirt/Speedy-build logs (but for some reason can't find the right places any more), that the tops are on both the same, and therefore the plans are not right. @Chris Watton wanted to correct this for the kits for Flirt/Speedy still to come, but mine has not the corrected ones.

So my question is: is in my plans the foremast with the right measurments, or is it the mainmast? 

Thank's @all for any help! :-).

Here are two pictures of the questionable areas:

20240111_132221.thumb.jpg.764be68171535a463c63489159de174d.jpg20240111_132212.thumb.jpg.5be8a4744ebd69c85fb49baa925d6501.jpg

• 1 month later...

@Thukydides & @KARAVOKIRIS: thank you both for your thumbs up, much appreciated 🙂.

As allways, health status is an issue, but model building helps a lot, at least with the mental health :-).

I could sort out my problem with the PROXXON DB250 during the tapering process of the dowels.

So I finished the masts from the woodworking point of view. They may look a bit wonky in the pictures, because there is nothing glued jet, even the plattforms are still loose. I have finished the flying boom, but I might not use it because of display/storage reasons. But this is not finaly decidet jet.

20240302_124423.thumb.jpg.544e5139beda78b0d6ebbd7113c58c2b.jpg

20240302_124603.thumb.jpg.3f0d8cffc50e223105ac7cf8b0f84d06.jpg

20240302_124551.thumb.jpg.c3222a30e2be6fb93d2ac2421df6d445.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Milestone reached: all the spars are ready from a wood working point of view. That means, the 'building' is finished, but the complete rigging is to do next.

Some inbetweens:

Some spars taperd and the 8-sided, äh, 'things' are worked out:

20240316_131505.thumb.jpg.4ac436ce9be92a20287312f554b1a12c.jpg

Two points about the next pictures. First, I ran out of PE-cleats(?). A short email dialog with Chris brought clarity to my fault: he very politly pointed out, that the use of pe-parts at this point was overhoult, and I should use the plenty of wooden parts. Damn! The wooden parts looks much better than the pe parts, and I could not figure this out by myself. Only excuse I have is, that in the plan sheets I only found references to the pe and not the wooden parts. Well, to much use of blinkers on my side :-).

Second point: I lost one of the holsters for the additional smal spars on top of the main spars. Sorry for my lack of propper nautical terms. I made a new one out of the black paper and stiffen it with ca-glue. It is more bulky than the orginial pe-part, but if you don't know, only on the second view, so I hope I'm ok there.

20240320_092531.thumb.jpg.efd3f2adb809f390e429a7a7a8a4f950.jpg

20240320_113920.thumb.jpg.6f3a2068d7283756f0486221e098db9c.jpg

All spars ready for rigging in front of the boat:

20240321_151727.thumb.jpg.5806cc5ab9539451d787208a40fcb5fa.jpg

To give me an idea of how it might look in the end, I put all together, but only with the pins and no glue, so all is still wonky:

20240321_151211.thumb.jpg.dedb552ceca196eac53b71067e268ef7.jpg

20240320_092548.jpg