HMAV Bounty by AJohnson - Caldercraft - 1:64

Looking good, Andrew!

I am amazed at the differences in the design of the Bounty by two different kit manufacturers.

I'm watching with interest.

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

• 1 month later...

Hey Andrew,

Your work on the Bounty is very impressive!!!  I just started the task of tackling the gun tackle, and I am heeding your comments about how space gets tight in a hurry and leaving out the hooks.  I have been seizing the block, and am using some of Chuck's awesome rope and his CNC 1/8 boxwood single and double blocks that I have given a touch of stain to make them look a little weathered.  I have been pleased with the appearance of the blocks with their seizing, but haven't put it all together yet to see how it will "fit" when installed.  I think having the hooks would look better, but I was surprised there wasn't much room for anything with the 2 bow-chaser cannons I have already installed and hidden under the forecastle deck.  It is amazing how much rope I used in the flemish coils for those 2 cannons (even though they looked really nice and neat), but it didn't look that realistic to have about 20 feet of rope lying in a coil, so I am going to rethink them for the cannons that will be seen.  I haven't installed any of the deck gear so I have room to install the cannons once I have them rigged, so that is a positive, but I am still thinking it won't be easy to do.  I will look over your build logs and keep learning from your work, which is solid!  Cheers mate!

Brian

Hi Brian, thank you for your kind comments about my Bounty build, I have been sadly neglecting it since the arrival of a sailing Trawler from Vanguard models, but as the “Nisha” is a small kit, I hope it won’t be too much longer before I am back working on the  “Bounty”. 
Looing forward to seeing your new blocks and tackle for your “Granado” cannons, it is a shame you cannot see much of your bow chasers once the deck went on top, the same with many  builds people do on MSW of ships with armament underneath quarter decks and forecastle’s, all the lovingly built details get hidden!  But at least with the build logs on here, we know it’s there 😅

I have been thinking about getting some new blocks and rope replacements, as the Caldercraft materials can be a bit variable; particularly the quality of some of the small blocks, so I will be interested to see how you get on with your excellent build. 
Cheers, Andrew

• 10 months later...

Very nice build you have going on here Andrew, looking forward to seeing some more progress and will follow along.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It has been some time since I visited this blog and I am really impressed with the progress you vhave made and the quality of the workmanship is up there with the best I have seen from a Caldercraft kit. I look forward to your approach to the rigging and see what other tips I can pick up along the way. 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

@Beef Wellington @DaveBaxt oh I know what's going on here! - you are trying to shame me into restarting my "Bounty"🤣

Well yes, I did lose my mojo with it and "proper" model ship building for a while and then got distracted by some card models (all Chris Coyle's fault! 😁) and then thought I better tidy up some half-built/started Airfix kits that have been gathering dust.

All excuses I know, I'm suitably chastised!  I am on my last Airfix to finish now, but will swing back to "Bounty" via finishing my "Nisha" soon I promise...  

Is this my first brush with the MSW Build-log police:10_1_10: (joking! - but Jason & Dave thank you both very much for dusting off this neglected thread and your kind words!)

Edited by AJohnson

• 1 month later...