Polotsk by nehemiah - Master Korabel - 1:72 - Russian schooner

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie builder who just started this addictive activity of model building during the pandemic. I've built the model shipways dory and longboat. I'm about to finish the Vanguard Fifie. I wanted to build something with more challenging rigging and I love the look of a schooner. So here I go....

01_Lower_Bulkheads.JPG

02_Conductors.jpeg

03_Top_Deck01.jpeg

04_Top_Deck02.jpeg

Soaked and clamped the bulwarks. Was a bit touch-and-go for a while b/c I wasn't sure how long to soak and tried to clamp too early. It's amazing how wood can go from "bending" to "breaking" so quickly! I think I might have to try using steam the next time. Thankfully nothing broke too badly.... just a few fibers.

05_bulwarks_drying.jpeg

For those builders who use the pin pusher thing instead of a hammer - the nails provided with the kit have a huge head and don't fit the pusher. I might have to order some pins with smaller head b/c I love that pin pusher. Although it looks like I could get away with just using stretchy clamps for the planking.

Moving along.... first time using power drill on a model kit. Did not go great (to say the least). I am going to build up around it. Got another veneer to put over it so hopefully will be fine. Note to self -- drill smaller holes first before going to 6mm.

06_polotsk.jpeg

On 5/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, nehemiah said:

For those builders who use the pin pusher thing instead of a hammer - the nails provided with the kit have a huge head and don't fit the pusher. I might have to order some pins with smaller head b/c I love that pin pusher. Although it looks like I could get away with just using stretchy clamps for the planking.

For planking you may try Titebond quick and thick. Its dries real quick and initial tack is good also. I sort of addicted to it now.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:51 PM, DPK said:

Careful! Do not boil the plywood too much - it can split by the inner layer. It is better to soak it in warm water. Anyway, you have the plate remains to test it yourself.

Thank you for pointing this out. I've soaked some planks using cold water for too long (the 6th and 7th according to instructions) that have split by inner layer. Just glued and clamped them back together so no real issue so far but....

I have to be careful to try to bend without water b/c the shaped planks fit closely to each other. The shaped planks on this build are really useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished second planking. Sanded it down a bit. Planning on using the weathering stuff on the ship below the rail and most of the fiddly bits. Third photo is testing out the weathering stuff. Left is one type of wood filler and glue below that, middle is other wood filler and glue below, and on the right is just wood. I'm feeling okay about how it soaks into both the fillers but not certain about it. Not sure if I should just weather as is... or fill is the small gaps and then weather.

17.jpeg

18.jpeg

20.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Current state. Definitely not perfect but I feel like I'm learning quite a bit about patience.

I am a bit stuck though. How do I go about permanently attaching the shroud plates? It says to nail them but I'm not certain how to go about doing that.

I'll search the site today but if anyone knows a build log or a video that shows a beginner how to do that, I would greatly appreciate being pointed to it. Thanks.

1123346928_Boat02.thumb.jpg.426bb45af50ae20f472b004b61f8996e.jpg

Boat 01.jpg

Edited by nehemiah

On 9/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, nehemiah said:

I am a bit stuck though. How do I go about permanently attaching the shroud plates? It says to nail them but I'm not certain how to go about doing that.

If someone doesn't beat me to it. I will offer a suggestion soon.

Your build looks great so far..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 3 months later...

most recent photo. took me weeks to decide how to start rigging. decided to try to get the fore and aft stays done first. then worry about the shrouds.

i use a needle threader but the largest thread in the kit would not fit so i had to use a thinner thread. not sure how to get thread through without the needle threader. maybe use a needle to push it through?

09_rigging.jpg