SMS Karlsruhe by Wreck1919 - 1/100

Hi, so here is the first one. I hope to improve execution for the remaining spars/yardarms. Getting the vertical ropes (stirrups) to the same lenght and position is tricky for me.guess i will find a method by the time the last ones a made. Fortunately a photograph shows footropes/stirrups as also not being straight. Thats my excuse 😎
cheers sascha

IMG_2212.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I gather the fact that the stirrups are slightly curved seems to indicate that they were made from wire rope.

You can slightly soak stirrups and footropes in fast drying varnish and hold them in shape, while the varnish dries. Use solvent-based varnish, so that you can soften the arrangement, if you are not happy with it at the first go.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Progress… nothing broken yet. Missing the varnish/„natural“ slack still, but will experiment.

Halfway done. Unbelievable how many lines/ropes are on that mast given its not a sailing ship.

Oh and thanks eberhard/valeriy for the comments about the position of the footropes. The are shown to be „aft“ /behind the spar/yardarm on the plan, but i totally missed that detail. 
cheers sascha

IMG_2220.jpeg

Sascha, if I may. The distance between the foot ropes and the yard should be waist high. Your figure indicates that there is too much distance between the foot ropes and the yard. 

Posted (edited)

Morning(?😎) Keith. Yes, of course you may👍🏻. the stirrups are  6.5mm(0.25“??) so maybe the picture wasnt good. So here is another one where my inspector is being hoisted up.  Note that i tied the rope under his arms and not around the neck since his services will still be required 😎.  The shape of the ropes is work in progress, am still experimenting (off model) with varnish.

Edit: and i did cheat with the attachment points for the ropes  under the  platform, because i forgot to include them when building. Now its too late.

IMG_2222.jpeg

IMG_2223.jpeg

Edited by Wreck1919

• 4 weeks later...

Another update: rigging is almost done. All that can be attached to the masts off model is finished. Remains „only“ to do the lower attachment points on deck. How to attach the signal lines on the foremast to the bridge without tearing everything apart is still a mystery to me though…🤪. Looks a bit wild now but once straigthened out it should be ok,..i hope.

cheers sascha

IMG_2266.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...