SMS Karlsruhe by Wreck1919 - 1/100

Morning all, there isnt much to see in terms of progress as am working on small(er) parts and trying out things in the process. Re-making the boat racks thinner as i didnt like the old ones , starting to paint the dark stripe that was on the base of all superstructure and started construction of the main mast and spotting top (if thats the name). Currently wondering how to assemble lower and upper part so that they are exactly vertically aligned.

cheers sascha

A9C119DB-CF7F-4F78-8413-970C0B7729B2.jpeg

587FDA39-510D-492E-86DF-BC769EDB20CC.jpeg

6B831067-8E4F-46EB-B309-272346FA29BA.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

excellent work Sascha,

I love all those  details for example the funnels, and others, great work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your nice comments gents. Progress to report is: made some of the hawser reels (? Correct english?). As you can see the smallest one (6mm dia) shows the limits of my fingers🤪. 4 more to do. Also some railing both fixed (steel tubes) and removable (chain).  The „chain“ is two very thin wires extracted from an old cable and then twisted. Happy weekend

3020D41D-1223-491D-A18C-6E1C688D8C29.jpeg

051D476C-A607-4494-B649-2AC3EA893513.jpeg

6DB7A6E1-2F09-46F6-85C7-7FF3BAB3AFF6.jpeg

0CD00224-D984-4A34-8960-1D32C5A6CEA9.jpeg

BEF75436-672D-4FFF-8D3C-3B96A7F71C83.jpeg

Thought i‘d post a „nude“ picture too, as it is/was originally intended as rc model. Which is why lots of the superstructre is such a hassle. I want to at least sail it once before winter sets in (read: before i make all the parts that i will most certainly break off when handling it🤪). Engine/rudder trial worked nicely in the trim tank.

F01BA21E-C13A-4EFB-BF6E-CCF12D29930A.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, and thanks for your likes (if thats a word now) 😬
i continued work on the boat racks, fitting them out and giving them a coat of primer. Before fixing them in place i needed to understand where the various steel ropes go (attachment points) as those need to be made and mounted first. For this i needed to make davits. The ones in the photo are raw prototypes for shape only. Originals are H-profiles 320x320mm. 

also made the first two fairleads (? Correct translation). Those were not flat on deck, but on a u-shaped profile.

enough text 😎

cheers sascha

F53FEDCE-738C-4804-A26F-B459414AFBF1.jpeg

E907B705-359D-4581-9E80-38CC11278F2C.jpeg

C5558D7C-630E-4065-A346-DB3CEFBE2B1C.jpeg

F1E6E5A2-9372-4ED4-95BE-26DE6E75B6CE.jpeg

750316FE-7096-40D3-AF61-2DBC1769928E.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent work.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Sascha your work is absolutely wunderbar !

Its candy for the eyes, very well done indeed

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 month later...

Beautifully precise work👏

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all and thanks for following. I come to you with a question now😎. This is about rigging , and i think there are a lot of sailing boat experts here. Its about the lines in blue and red . Since i dont know what they are called in english i attach a photo and crude drawing. Sailors step on them when working on the spar.

the questions: 1) how to achieve the blue line hanging down „naturally“ between the point where it is supended? 2) general tips how to get it done. Currently thinking of having a brass ring at lower end of the red rope , and thread the blue one through it. Assemble that  separately and then mount to spar using a knot (round turn and two half hitches, as this one allows the standing line to drop down straight) As its 1/100 my fingers/tweezers seem incredibly big 🤪.

cheers sascha

IMG_2202.jpeg

These ropes are called 'foot-ropes' and the vertical ropes are the 'stirrups'. 

Valery's photos show very well the arrangement for yards that are meant for bending sails. On the first two pictures, however, there is a small error (sorry Valery): the stirrups should run over the back of the yard, not in front of it. The period photographs show why, so that the men can stand on the foot-ropes with the tummy on the yard.

The yard on the KARLSRUHE only serves for the signal-halyards, so that the foot-ropes would have been used only occassionally, say to clear entangled halyards or something like that. So I would suspect that foot-ropes and halyards were galvanized wire rope, but probably served all over for protection. The stirrups perhaps were fixed to eye-bolts in the yard (no need for yackstays, as there were no sails) and had an eye in the end through which the footrope ran. I don't have access to my library at the moment, but once back home, I can check in Middendorf (1905), how footropes were made at the beginning of the 20th century.

If I had to make them, I would use silk-covered copper wire (seidenumsponnene Kupferlitze in German) as is used for e.g. HF-coils. It seems to be easier to get again due to a fashion for analogue HiFi-equipment and restoration needs for old radios etc. Check Google for possible suppliers or ebay. The eyes can be bound with fine fly-tying thread and everything bent do shape and then painted black.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I find interesting is the third photo in Valeriy's post # 80 showing a double jackstay. I'm only familiar with a single jackstay, why would a double have been employed? 

24 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Valery's photos show very well the arrangement for yards that are meant for bending sails. On the first two pictures, however, there is a small error (sorry Valery): the stirrups should run over the back of the yard, not in front of it. The period photographs show why, so that the men can stand on the foot-ropes with the tummy on the yard.

Eberhard, this is not entirely true. :) 
The yards on the Varyag were not designed for sails. So I did everything as shown in the photo of the cruiser. ;) 

Valery, that means then that sailors where standing in front of the yard, rather than behind it, when they were tending to whatever they had to tend to?

Keith, double jack-stays became quite common particularly on the last deep-water sailing ships, when the massive steel yards would have meant that the upper part of the sails were actually lying on top of the yard and the foot-ropes were going around almost half of the yard. That part of the sail that lies on the yard doesn't pull, but would be subject to rot. So they move the jack-stay more forward.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

Hi all and thanks for picutres (valeriy) , translation for the fusspferde (eberhard) and tips to make the thing. I fear that the scale surpasses my abilities eberhard 🤪. Here‘s some result of trials. 
i made some small rings to thread the rope through (picture with inch measure for our imperial friends 😬). However when attached they always want to turn in the wrong direction making the whole thing bend. Thats the picture with the grey spar - it being a random 2mm diameter piece. The third picture is a using valeriys method (i believe) on a prototype with actual dimensions (1 mm diameter spar and 0,1mm rope. The huge shadow is the tip of my finger… on the upside i did manage to tie a correct knot,.. kind of.

i will continue experimenting because i would have destroyed the mast had i done the experiments on the actual piece. 
further tips are pf course welcome. Cheers sascha

IMG_2209.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg

IMG_2208.jpeg

Just get rid of the brass rings, they have nothing to do there, sorry.

If you use 'rope' rather than wire, you can stiffen the rope with thinned shellac solution or zapon-varnish. Hold them the way you want them, while the varnish is drying.

Making eye-splices in thread is easy with the help of a hypodermic needle as marlin-spike:

image.png.2891a82c964ce1d82023142d2b5213e9.png

wefalck

Sasha, I agree with Eberhard, brass rings are completely unnecessary here. You won't be able to make them the right size, it's a very small detail.
    Try making a loop of thread without a knot. Using cyacrine glue only, simply bend the thread into a loop and secure with glue. After this, cut off the extra piece of thread.

This is how the bottom loop in the photo is made.

4f.jpg

Hi both, 

thanks. Will do away with the rings. Sadly i didnt think ahead enough to make some attachment points on the spar. So i now have to attach on the spar (knot) and at the bottom (splice?) for the foot rope. And all on the assembled mast. Its a very short lenght of rope too. Thats why i thought a ring would be easier than making a loop at the lower end. Lets see what comes out. Will report.

cheers sascha