US Coast Guard 44' Lifeboat by Nautical 1 - Dumas - Beginning the Journey

1963043615_POA_1475(2).thumb.JPG.7daa2ad1caa4ed122b27a755332d307d.JPGThe beginning. Let us hope and pray that I take my time, think everything through, cut safely, Sand carefully, measure two, three, or four times before I cut, always cut outside the line, apply epoxy or resin in small quantities, and clip with pins to hold together. I have also begun trimming the boat's cradle with cushioning (not pictured), and away we go. Take good care friends. 

John

POA_1477 (2).JPG

POA_1476.JPG

POA_1475 (2).JPG

Is this a build log?   If it is, let me know and move it to the proper forum and subforum.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm always happy to see a Coast Guard model being built here. There aren't too many kits available. I'm a Coast Guard veteran and I've been thinking of building the Dumas Coast Guard 40 foot utility boat at some point since I was a coxswain on them many years ago. Good luck on your build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks John. I spent 1 1/2 years on the Coast Guard Cutter Storis tumbling around the Bering Sea and the Gulf of Alaska and then 2 1/2 years on the 40 footers based at the Captain-of-the-Port Los Angeles/Long Beach Station way back in 1966-70. 

Are you planning to make your radio controlled or a static model? It seems like Dumas specializes in RC models.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hello to MSW & NRG!

My last twelve hours have been spent constructing the keel, deck & keel supports, bulkheads, and bulkhead frames. The images I will show demonstrate a rough hull beginning to take shape. I am certain glue and wood filler is very much visible in my attachments, but for me, I have constructed this manner for additional strength. The directions state epoxy or my choice of adhesives and all that was present for me beginning the hull was Tite-bond wood glue. Although the glue is water soluble I add epoxy at a later stage for waterproof qualities. I have also included a bow block to shape and begin planking within a day or so. I must state as well, my learning curve I have created goes beyond instructional materials. I love to research the adhesive qualities of various forms. I also love to improvise when necessary. At any rate, I am displaying three construction images that are rough, but I have begun. I am also including an image for a yachting model I am designing to build myself as another model for a personal appeal and goal. I welcome all friendly faces to see for yourself but please bear in mind, no sanding has been completed. There does remain much, much sanding to perform. To make the job easier I am using a Proxon modeling belt sander to sand all wood-filler and glue spots to a smoother finish. Upon completion of this I will be painting the heel, and bulkheads white glossy. 

This is an interesting model in the design features that the vessel does not sink in a rough sea state and resistance is minimal. I have always had a love for the Coast Guard lifeboats because they cut the water fiercely fine and the powerplant powerful enough to accomplish her mission of saving lives at sea, coastal areas, and even rivers. I will be engaging more and more into research of this fine watercraft vessel. A powerhouse of life-saving equipment and I want one for recreational purposes. 

POA_1497.JPG

POA_1498 (2).JPG

Campania 48 BCF 3A.jpg

POA_1499 (2).JPG

6 minutes ago, Nautical 1 said:

I have much work ahead of me. I realize I have MSW protocol to follow and shall. I believe I saw a class in the news from NRG a photography class I will participate in watching. I am certain I will learn so much. Thank you for stopping by good people. 

John

Thats a good start  John  - dont be affraid to ask anything  from the members  here  - we dont bite  unless its food.😁

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thats a good start  John  - dont be affraid to ask anything  from the members  here  - we dont bite  unless its food.😁

OC.

Thanks very kindly OC! I must as I have mentioned, begin anew. There is so much after 39 years of being away from modeling I do not know. You have been encouraging to me so I thank you. Now to peruse your builds. Have an enjoyable evening.

John

5 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

John

If this is to be a static model, non-Sailing, Titebond wood glue should work fine.

Thanks Roger Pellet. At this point I am not certain whether she will be an RC or static model. I like the challenges of an RC, but my first regards were to create a display. I would really like to have all working features on this vessel including lighting, mechanical, or anything else I can think of. 

Too often I think we characterize this branch of service as secondary to the Navy. They are not! I recently did a presentation on this service for our model group on another lifeboat of the USCG. If you wish I will share it with you. PM me as I do not want to highjack your blog.

Joe

8 hours ago, Thistle17 said:

Too often I think we characterize this branch of service as secondary to the Navy. They are not! I recently did a presentation on this service for our model group on another lifeboat of the USCG. If you wish I will share it with you. PM me as I do not want to highjack your blog.

Joe

I PM’d you Joe. Let me know. 

22 hours ago, Nautical 1 said:

Thanks Roger Pellet. At this point I am not certain whether she will be an RC or static model. I like the challenges of an RC, but my first regards were to create a display. I would really like to have all working features on this vessel including lighting, mechanical, or anything else I can think of. 

This model will be static for sure! I have plans for the next model, just have not decided the vessel I will build. Interested in 19th century paddle warships of Admiral Perry’s era. 

Well friends my build is slowly sitting aside for now. One thing I will mention is my greatest ambition aside from modeling is 2D and 3D CAD design of famous boats, yachts, and ships. I am working on a design for a Venice Gondola Venitienne. Tough work on the body section but my profile and half breadths are looking well enough to work with. Can anyone assist and advise the body section or is this allowed to even ask??? If so I can post what I have and be assisted. Looking forward to advice. Then back on the Lifeboat. Thank you dearly friends!!! 

John

11 hours ago, Nautical 1 said:

Well friends my build is slowly sitting aside for now. One thing I will mention is my greatest ambition aside from modeling is 2D and 3D CAD design of famous boats, yachts, and ships. I am working on a design for a Venice Gondola Venitienne. Tough work on the body section but my profile and half breadths are looking well enough to work with. Can anyone assist and advise the body section or is this allowed to even ask??? If so I can post what I have and be assisted. Looking forward to advice. Then back on the Lifeboat. Thank you dearly friends!!! 

John

Hi John,

Two place that might be better on asking about your Gondola....   https://modelshipworld.com/forum/13-discussions-for-ships-plans-and-project-research-general-research-on-specific-vessels-and-ship-types/ for general non-CAD discussion and then here if about CAD:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/34-cad-and-3d-modellingdrafting-plans-with-software/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

As always good man Mark, I thank you so very much!!! You are a continual source of inspiration and creativity for me! Thank you! 

• 4 weeks later...

John. I noticed you have  two logs going for what appears to be the same build. Let me know if the two logs are one and the same so they can be merged in to one.

Thanks,

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard