Steam Tug WARATAH 1902 by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...

Chris, you should have got in touch with any questions, I didn't know you were building her and I crew her! I've said before that I'm impressed with the accuracy and detail and you've done a great job.

A few points of interest:-

• The towing bit (that's what we call it) has much greater rope wear on the port post than the stb. This is because the hooks were outlawed not long after she was built and they made tow lines off to the port post to counter prop walk.
  • The "locker" aft of the forward accommodation is actually the coal bunker as are the circular covers either side of the superstructure.
  • You seem to have the life jacket boxes in the correct places except their isn't one across the front of the forward accommodation. Rather there is a low frame to hold the fire buckets. The box there seems to be forcing the mast too close to vertical. The life jacket boxes go either side of the forward and aft accommodations and either side of the engine room.
  • I'm impressed that the model even includes the wartime patches to the stb side of the superstructure, in both wars she was charged with clearing incoming ships (making sure they were friendly) and she had to fly the flag of the day when returning to harbour. One day ( in WW2 I believe ) they forgot said flag and on return to Newcastle harbour a shore battery opened fire. The shell penetrated the wall of the galley (big patch) then through to the upper engine room. No major damage as it didn't explode and I believe only minor injuries to one crew member.

waratah9.thumb.jpg.e61eac003048333a5f77d746b4130806.jpg.6a7598c68a6f31b20ce949cffca2756c.jpg

Pardon the typo below, there's no such thing as a lox frame but there are low frames.

waratah925.thumb.jpg.b01e76de6298b63239f5cf2e9f034869.jpg.f224105aad70ef63736e60faba5921a4.jpg