Rebuilding the fleet by mikegr - 1/700 - restoring old plastic models

I am in a hurry to finish it by this Sunday at least the model if not the sea bed.

I glued almost everything except few pieces left as well as rails on main deck. I did also deck weathering. After  gluing parts, rigging and weathering. I do rigging first before works comes first , then pleasure(rigging is boring).

IMG_20211015_183141.thumb.jpg.cba982133be4cc2b8174e625277a87ff.jpg

Done. POW training her turrets during heavy swell.

Not the thick rigging from rear mast top to stern. I put it here temporary to correct the mast top forward inclination cause by elastic rigging. Lessons learned:

1. Always control its tension when use elastic rigging with fragile masts.

2. Best CA glue simply can't compete with soldering in strength if you want to make brass mast.

IMG_20211107_151226.thumb.jpg.3aaff91117391fdee011ea125ecbc1a9.jpgIMG_20211107_151150.thumb.jpg.46ff31683dade6344458016e230009f5.jpgIMG_20211107_151548.thumb.jpg.6d5fd87313a47aa860e5712e1d09bfc9.jpg

The planes look good.  If anyone asks, the rest of them are out on patrol, attacking something, or down below in maintenance.;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, mikegr said:

I did some paintwork on the rear deck. I used brush. It was trickier than I thought. I also modified the bow making an "open" frame.

Why it was tricky? This seems quite simple for me using masking tape and brush, so i'd like to learn some technique for the future. Check out my Titanic here, it was entirely hand-painted by brushes. Also i'd like to restore and bash a lot my childhood models (Russian battleship Potemkin and ice breaker Lenin), both 1:400 and i think your tips will be needed there.

1 hour ago, Veszett Roka said:

Why it was tricky? This seems quite simple for me using masking tape and brush, so i'd like to learn some technique for the future. Check out my Titanic here, it was entirely hand-painted by brushes. Also i'd like to restore and bash a lot my childhood models (Russian battleship Potemkin and ice breaker Lenin), both 1:400 and i think your tips will be needed there.

Because enamel paint should be perfectly thinned in order to work easily with it without the risk of microdrips getting under the tape. An airbrush could help but still need experience about matching color thickness, spraying distance etc. A white thinned paint over dark paint would require several layers. A primer would have helped here.

8 minutes ago, mikegr said:

Because enamel paint should be perfectly thinned in order to work easily with it without the risk of microdrips getting under the tape. An airbrush could help but still need experience about matching color thickness, spraying distance etc. A white thinned paint over dark paint would require several layers. A primer would have helped here.

Ah, it makes sense. I understand your concerns here, i would need properly thinned paints too. Especially because the old models have several layers of paint plus lacquer. Still don't know yet how to remove (or overpaint) the old colors. Also the fine pigmentation is important, i think Humbrol enamels is one of the best in this manner (disadvantage is their tendency to sedimentation, and you cannot know how long a paint bucket kept on the self).
Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Veszett Roka said:

Ah, it makes sense. I understand your concerns here, i would need properly thinned paints too. Especially because the old models have several layers of paint plus lacquer. Still don't know yet how to remove (or overpaint) the old colors. Also the fine pigmentation is important, i think Humbrol enamels is one of the best in this manner (disadvantage is their tendency to sedimentation, and you cannot know how long a paint bucket kept on the self).
Thank you!

I used humbrol enamel on all these models. No primer no finish varnish. The color deterioration is minimum after 25 years. Removing these old paints chemically is risky I think without damaging the plastic.

Benting this piece in 4 seemed impossible. However it took me few minutes. Fujimi PE are the best ever worked with.

I use my knife and another blade usually to curve these pieces. I have more 3 to make. Note the tiny part close to the blade. I lost it but found it again

196584673_WhatsAppImage2021-12-18at14_20.23(1).thumb.jpeg.b0b7c3f1b2fe142f7ad9652e8ff4b8c7.jpeg464893091_WhatsAppImage2021-12-18at14_20_22.thumb.jpeg.8ee334d264fe8d1507a9af50a6562321.jpeg

Edited by mikegr

Not much progress I just feel the need to update.

Deck sticker added. I marked the arresting gears. First I used marker and ruler. Attempt was disastrous because the surface wasn't smooth as it looked. I hope parking a couple of aircrafts would cover it somehow.

For the rest, I used paintbrush hair painted with black marker.

IMG_20211221_203155.thumb.jpg.316232fcf679d6e31ceb52b8ce1712a3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20220104_193002.thumb.jpg.634d94042de9d3db063302e9cb123b71.jpgI finish weathering the deck. I had to remove the arresting cables put the white stripes and install them again. Kinda foolish.Correct planning is useful apart modeling skills. There suppose to be a circle but I don't have it neither I'm good enough to airbrush one, I can't afford a second deck disaster. This is going to be a heavy weathered rusty dog of war.

Edited by mikegr

I found at last some info online and some pics of a nice finished model so I had the chance to add some details. I scratch built a communication loop antenna. Apart from fragile PE parts i have to work with weathered plastics. One piece of wing broke off just while sanding it. Air group has landed and antennas too. Only one was rigged for today. 

IMG_20220109_133226.thumb.jpg.d4cc2259a7c58bd233878d8045fabd7a.jpgIMG_20220109_165123.thumb.jpg.57d8704de5546d6b0c35a69762ddc685.jpgIMG_20220109_184341.thumb.jpg.d915c4092076d6272823d292def9feb3.jpg