HMS Victory by Marinus - Caldercraft - 1/72

Thanks for signing up and I am glad to have helped, even if only in a small way.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

It still looks great. Most of the planks are covered in plating and the ship is going to be painted. 

Keep up the great work. 

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 weeks later...

First stage done of the second planking. The planking didn't go exactly as I had planned but it looks ok and I made it very smooth with a lot of sanding. I will get some primer and spray that on to 20211215_004.thumb.JPG.b130ead00f92ce3fe1d9f8774ca4097a.JPG20211215_003.thumb.JPG.5f706e80696a1ccdaebe3d9110d23a3a.JPGy the waterline so I can see if I have some more sanding to do. I will continue planking upwards to just below the upper deck gunports and will then install the upper gun deck and do the upper gun deck planking.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marinus

On 12/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, Marinus said:

The second planking is not going exactly the way the ship was built in real live but it is looking okay and most of it will be covered with the copper plates. Forgot to taper the planks when I used Chuck Passaro's bending technic.

Does the kit have copper sheathing material or will you be using something else?  The reason I ask is that most, if not all,  kits  with copper sheathing have the stuff which is not remotely close to being realistic and greatly diminishes the look of an otherwise beautiful model.  There are alternatives that will avoid the measles look on kit supplied copper materials and has been discussed in depth here a MSW lately.  If the plates in your kit have the phony bumps that are supposed to be bolts or rivets, PLEASE look at the discussions because there were no bolts or rivets used, but rather nails that indent the plates, they did not stick out.  At your scale they would be nigh invisible so probably better to use plain copper tape material with no fasteners indicated at all.  Just as an FYI, the plates were about 48"X15" (0.67"X0.20" at 1:72) if you want them to be to scale. These overlap 1.5"  on one vertical side and on one horizontal side much like roof shingles.

As a Victory fan, have you signed up for Adam Preston's TV series?

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 weeks later...

Lined the gunports with no lids and planked the inner bulwarks. I will paint the bulwarks after I lined all the gunports and installed the beam shelves, stringers and waterways. It was a time consuming job but I am happy with the result. Now back to planking the outer hull.

20220121_002.JPG

20220121_003.JPG

20220209_001.JPG

20220209_002.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, the golf season is ending and I am going to spend more time at building the Victory. My next task is lining the gun ports. I looked at other builds and got a lot of good information how to do this. If somebody has some advice how to do this I am happy to hear from you. Regards, Marinus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

20230110_001.thumb.JPG.78335822366714058fbb536b25b739e4.JPG

20230110_004.thumb.JPG.3830568ed90c826ad7f5f81e28fcdcc6.JPG                                             Happy New Year to you all. Back working on the Victory.

Painted the hull and Cannon carriages and started the copper plating. Have to touch up some spots on the hull and paint the gunports. The instruction says that the outside edges should be yellow, but the real Victory has everything painted red. Didn't make a decision yet what to do. The cannons take a lot of time, same as the copper plating. I will find some other things to do on the Victory in between so I will have a break from it. 

20230110_002.JPG

Edited by Marinus

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...