Wanted - Full runs of MODEL SHIPWRIGHT/SHIPS IN SCALE magazines

Also, not listed is the new complete collection of Ships in Scale magazine - on a flash drive for $99.95 plus shipping.  Everything from the first issue to the last.

Must call the office until the store section is updated (pending).

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

As a totally opinion based comment:

I find that the quality and subject matter and choice of sybjects  in SIS are such that the NRG provided CD are totally adequate as a way to access their information.

Model Shipwright is a whole nuther thing.  I have the complete run up until the original publisher went bankrupt.  I cannot imagine anyone who is still involved with this and who has the first 100 or so issues letting them go. 

I cannot come up with any explanation other than sheer incompetency  and stark imbecility to explain why the current copyright owner has not republished in an electronic format or farmed that out.  Such selfish hording should void any legal protection against piracy.  It would not be as though they were losing sales of anything.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

They ( both magazines ) show up on ebay for $3 or more plus shipping..   Not to mention it would be a challenge to put together a complete collection.

That makes the CD collections a real bargain..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

43 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Not to mention it would be a challenge to put together a complete collection.

It would certainly, but I dont think it impossible.   I do however think it would be expensive!

Authors who write for the Nautical Research Journal provide us (within our writer's agreement) with license to publish their work in the Journal and also exactly as we printed it originally in the collections we publish on disc/flash drives and on our website.  Authors do retain their copyright and are free to publish it elsewhere 90 days or more after our original printing it in the Journal.

I wrote many articles for Ships in Scale (94) as well as Model Ship Builder and they had almost identical agreements as the NRG.  I retain all my copyrights to these articles and have resold some later.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, Jaager said:

Such selfish hording should void any legal protection against piracy.

But they are still protected which you obviously know - just mentioning it here for those who think because they are OOB that it's free pickings.

I share your opinion of the company - they went OOB multiple times - I think it was twice before the final time.  Those of us who subscribed got shorted any issues still remaining on our subscriptions and had to resubscribe in order to get those we were shorted in our previous subscription.  I did this twice and before the third and final time I was able to purchase my mentor's (Dana McCalip - longest serving NRG Director at his death in 1998 - 25 years) collection when he passed away.  I got a complete set at that time minus the issues he had articles in that the family wanted to retain.  I was able to get copies of those issues by trading some copies of multiple issues I had on hand.  Only lack a few for the complete set and at this stage I am not looking to complete the set.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt,

Yes, I am completely aware that Model Shipwrighy is under copyright  protection.  The situation is that I have no need or reason to break that protection.  I just think it is an injustice.

It seems that insults do not work to get them to show up and defend themselves.  I am not going to do it, I am just part of the Peanut Gallery in this.  It is a waste, but it is not my job to fit it.

One of my fantasies - From a Proceedings article - i.e. "It is better to seek forgiveness than to ask for permission." .  Blatantly break the copyright in order to smoke someone out at the company, who can negotiate a solution that frees up the content.  They are sitting on a pot load of re-drawn lines plans by Norman Swales and ignore inquires about purchasing full size copies or how to contact Swales about the same.  Are they really a government agency or labor union in disguise?   

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

Other

I know what you mean - about who they are acting like.  I wrote to a company to alert them to piracy of their work and they never responded.  This seems to be common.

Just don't try it with anything that has a "MAC" in it - one of our neighbors by us will have a team of lawyers knocking on your door saying they don't care if it's a widget and not a hamburger but you can't use those 3 letters in anything -- according to them and they are so big it's fruitless to even consider going against them - the other extreme.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, Jaager said:

They are sitting on a pot load of re-drawn lines plans by Norman Swales and ignore inquires about purchasing full size copies or how to contact Swales about the same. 

Is that the same Norman Swales who has also done a lot of illustrative and figure work for the games industry?  You might try a different company, or possibly one his co-authors/contributors.   There seem to be quite a few (if its the same person.   Unique name...

Thanks for suggesting the digital format. I did find them earlier and was considering going this route. I'm still hoping to acquire the magazines as I find them more enjoyable. Buying them individually the shipping would be quite expensive and total cost would probably be not worth it. 

Kurt - Is digital version like reading the actual magazine? Would it include the cover/ads/etc or just the articles that were printed?

Aceman,

I apologize  if this steals any of Kurt's thunder, but it is identical to the printed version, except that it is ephemeral electron based.  A hard copy can even be printed, but that would not be the quality of the original.

You should really consider subscribing to the NRJ electronic version if not both hard copy and digital.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

Other

Here is a sample of the Ships In Scale index.

Index.jpg.a93730e8c3ed5735e05a421464c0377f.jpg

There is also a powerful search tool that will search through all the issues to find what you are looking for..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

As previously stated - every page of every issue is reproduced exactly as originally printed.  They are PDFs and can be printed for shop reference.  I have the digital sets of course but for serious research and reference I use the digital files to look up data and then if it's what I want I go to my bookshelves and use the print copies for reading.  If I need copies for the research file I download the digital pages to my subject files.  I will not get rid of the print copies I have because taking the laptop to the john just isn't for me!

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The digital format is very impressive. Thanks for sharing and the explanation. I might have to go that route.

I did look into NRG's Journal and also its very informative.

Maybe after all these years I should too become a member and support this great site.

I noticed that some members have NRG logo under their user name. What level of membership gets you that?

Basic membership level - and all other levels of membership.

Basic Membership Levels:

Digital Journal only = $40.  

Print Journal only = $55

Digital and Print Journals = $65  

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

19 minutes ago, Aceman said:

The digital format is very impressive. Thanks for sharing and the explanation. I might have to go that route.

I did look into NRG's Journal and also its very informative.

Maybe after all these years I should too become a member and support this great site.

I noticed that some members have NRG logo under their user name. What level of membership gets you that?

Well worth being a member and it also supports MSW.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

I will not get rid of the print copies I have because taking the laptop to the john just isn't for me!

I always knew there was a reason that I always kept my printed copies of magazines I valued, but, until now, I never realized why. :D  I have a complete cased set of WoodenBoat magazine, having acquired every issue since they provided us with samples to review at the classic yacht brokerage where I was working when their first issue came out. I also have a digital set and, just as Kurt does, I use the digital version for the index and to skim for what I'm seeking, but when I narrow my research, I always pick up the hard copy. 

There's no explaining publisher's attitudes. I suppose some have good reason. The motives of others remain suspect. a few decades ago, I contacted the Hearst Publishing offices to inquire whether they would allow me to edit and prepare for publication a "best of" anthology of MoTorBoaTing magazines "Ideal Series," itself a collection of "how to build it" and similar articles from the magazine, which had been very popular between 1920 and 1960 before going out of business and, at some point, selling its rights to the Hearst Publishing Company. There were many "public domain" plans for some of the nicest small boats ever designed by some of the top naval architects in the first half of the 20th Century. I couldn't even get them to send me a rejection letter after three attempts to engage in discussions with them! It would have been some of the easiest money they ever made and there was no doubt the anthology would have been very popular. Hearst didn't even have the courtesy of explaining why they weren't interested.

Welcome to the NRG.  You will soon be looking forward to each new issue of the Journal.

Take care

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

18 hours ago, Aceman said:

I just joined NRG.... Looking forward to it.

I think i will be getting the digital version of SIS sometime soon, perhaps a Christmas present to my self.

As for the magazines if there is anyone that has the complete set please let me know. 

Send your info to James (admin) and he'll put the badge in your profile so it appears on your posts. Welcome to the NRG.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)