Silk span

Dziadeczek

Dziadeczek

If you find a good source that offers more than one grade please post the link.  I would like to experiment with different thicknesses as well.  I have only had one thickness and I don't know if it is the thickest or thinnest.   Regardless of what you wind up using, even the thickest span will be closer to scale to any cloth that exists for 1:48 or smaller. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I seem to remember from my boyhood days when I was flicking through model suppliers catalogues that there were two weights of silk fabric and 'Japan' paper for covering airplane models.

Another option (that I have not yet tried out myself) is serigraphy cloth that comes in many different weights/thread counts. You can get it on ebay. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

When I rigged my 1:32 scale longboat (photos on gallery) I decided to include furled sails.  The guy at the hobby shop asked if I wanted “Light” or the heavier grade. I picked light and was happy with the results.  I have no idea how to describe the difference in grades quantitatively.

Well, if you can get different weights of SilkSpan, you could even imitate the different weights of canvas used for various sails.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I've used the lightest weight silkspan for my sails as I laminate two layers of silkspan to both sides of normal office bond paper; this technique I use for set sails only, not furled. Even with the three layers, this still allows nice translucency which I believe is important. This also emphasizes the various tablings and linings of large sails with ambient lighting of all kinds. Another benefit of the thinnest silkspan is that after it's glued to the bond paper (diluted white glue) it "shrivels" slightly as it dries; this imparts a nice fabric texture that subtly simulates canvas.

Photo example is attached. This is a close-up of my HMS Swan, rigged and sails fashioned with guidance from druxey's Swan Class, Vol IV book.

9 minutes ago, druxey said:

Well, if you can get different weights of SilkSpan, you could even imitate the different weights of canvas used for various sails.

Never tried this, but it makes perfect sense to me!

Ron

DSC_1436.JPG

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

4 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Wow! Those are some fantastic looking sails, Ron.

Did you show how you accomplished this in a build log? I'm interested in picking up some tips on this technique.

Bob, thank you. I haven't demonstrated my technique on a Build Log here, however I did an in-person demo a couple years ago at the annual Joint Clubs Northeast Ship Modeler's Show. Here is a link to a video that was made of my demo: https://www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com/presentations/

I've basically created an amalgam of various techniques of others plus a couple new processes that I conceived. There aren't that many different ways to create realistic-looking set sails; virtually all typically involve making them from either paper or the material, silkspan - or both (in my case). Creating set sails was a challenge that I set myself to somehow solve and come up with ways to make sails look like they're actually working: e.g.; "blowing (billowing) in the wind" so-to-speak.

The photo here shows me doing a little maintenance on a nave model I built for a church in New York: my model, HMS Godspeed, is a four-masted schooner with 17 sails if I recall. These sails had only a slight set to them as all the sails are lateen, fore-to-aft rigged typical of these ships. It was after this build that I experimented and figured out how to make set sails on square-rigged ships look like they were doing the work!

Ron

DSC_0168.JPG

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I am using silkspan for my current build of the Revenge.  I got it from a company called SIG.  it is offered in light, medium and heavy. 

Here is the link:

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-silkspan-tissue

Here is a photo from my build log.  I am trying to simulate sails partially drawn up as if the ship was at anchor but not completely furled like they might be if the ship was in port.

DSC_0188.jpg.eaaa3d84979d5af0cbf1a02746d99524.jpg

Jeff

Edited by xodar461

As an FYI, I have had an order in with Sig Mfg which has been backordered for over 2 months.  I have been in contact with them and am told that it's because of boats unable to unload.  As of November 17th they were still waiting for the shipment.  I don't have a definitive date yet but have asked them to keep it on backorder as I'm in no immediate rush.

I should mention that they have been fantastic to deal with and have replied to me promptly and courteously.  

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, xodar461 said:

I am using silkspan for my current build of the Revenge.  I got it from a company called SIG.  it is offered in light, medium and heavy. 

Here is the link:

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-silkspan-tissue

Here is a photo from my build log.  I am trying to simulate sails partially drawn up as if the ship was at anchor but not completely furled like they might be if the ship was in port.

DSC_0188.jpg.eaaa3d84979d5af0cbf1a02746d99524.jpg

Jeff

I also get my silkspan from SIG, although I have also bought some from Bluejacket Shipcrafters in the past. I've ordered different weights from SIG, but have mainly worked with the lightest weight material. I'm not surprised SIG's inventory is on a slow boat. I believe it's manufactured in Japan, but it's possible that the latest manufacturing has shifted to China.

I like your treatment showing a partially furled sail, great job!

Ron

Ron

23 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Thanks a million, Ron. That was very helpful.

You are welcome, Bob - I'm pleased that you found my techniques helpful.

Ron

Ron