NRG Capstan Project by Cathead - FINISHED - NRG - 1:24

Looks great! Such a cool build and you did a great job on it. Looking forward to your next project as well.

Edited by VTHokiEE

Ironically, any maritime model building is going on hold for a while as I have several 1:1 projects in the works and a potential model railroad project. I've been busy cutting a stand of large cedar trees to produce lumber for an outdoor kitchen, which I plan on building with proper traditional post-and-beam construction, seen here in my initial 3D rendering of the conceptual design:

1617422162_ScreenShot2021-12-19at9_04_00PM.jpeg.3e08f457f4596cbc43a11a267bf9e41e.jpeg 

2030757863_ScreenShot2021-12-19at9_04_15PM.jpeg.a6cf6fa9bd358ecb85a47e8b8534286c.jpeg

Much of our life on this homestead farm is built around food production and cooking, so this space will take some of the mess out of our overworked indoor kitchen, making it easier to do everything from meat butchering to food preservation to maple boiling, as well as simple entertaining (note the included wood pizza oven). I've already built many home-milled cedar-lumber barns and other outbuildings here, but this will be my first true post-and-beam structure.

Here's the log pile so far and the area I'm logging:

IMG_5810.jpeg.f478286fa6951b667076c3bb151729e9.jpeg

IMG_5809.jpeg.b75cff59aca56efd473c0e3298a22243.jpeg

In addition, I'm about to start ripping out the carpet in a spare bedroom so I can refloor it properly in wood. This is likely to become my new modeling/woodworking space and may end up hosting a small model railroad centered on Missouri coal-mining history. Early 20th century Missouri had some really cool mining complexes that are screaming to be scratchbuilt, such as these (from the Missouri Historical Society):

imc_15854_full.thumb.jpg.f8b01a763884ed58b0ed18bf09a6b3a6.jpg

imc_15377_full.thumb.jpg.5a43feff93747b5d810eae7a1c95f163.jpg

These are going to keep me quite busy for a while and I'm ready for a temporary break from nautical modeling. Not going anywhere from MSW, but I probably won't start any new model projects until at least next fall/winter, at which point I'll probably return to some Missouri craft like the Lewis & Clark barge or another steamboat. I have my eye on the JR Wells, a relatively well-documented small steamboat that operated into the Missouri Ozarks on the Osage River. See the Miller County Museum website for some nice photos and background; not reproducing them here because they're marked as copyrighted.

Okay, that went off-topic, but you did ask! 

Congratulations on completion of your capstan build Eric - you’ve done a great job on it, with your own unique take on the project too.

Very well done, Eric.   The capstan is beautiful.    As for your RR project, don't let that stop you from sharing the build here in Shore Leave.   It looks fascinating.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Super results in my book!  Thank you for taking the time to  go through your problems and solutions.  Well documented build.

Edited by robert952
Correct grammar (or typo)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful job on the Capstan Project Eric! I love the way the grain stands out on the wood. I will be keeping an eye out for your next project.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Thanks Brian and others. I won't be doing any projects for quite a while, I injured my wrist and need surgery with a 1-2 month recovery time. Has rearranged our whole life. 

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can get back to it soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Sorry to hear of the injury, Eric.  Just follow the medical advice is your best action.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)