Hello!

EODGoat

Good morning from my office!  I know it says I started on here in 2016 but I have just really started getting some time to settle down and pick up a new hobby or two.  My name is Jason and I'm a retired EOD Master Chief and newly minted civilian looking for a hobby to keep me out of trouble!  I did 28 years in the Navy with my first ship being the world famous USS Enterprise (CVN-65).  I did four years aboard as an electrician before I was screened for and selected to go to Explosive Ordnance Disposal school.  As an EOD tech, I have had the fortune to travel around the world and see some great (and not so great) places and have gotten to meet many wonderful people.  I've worked or deployed with military members from all services doing a variety of things but my one passion was always diving for the USN. I have gotten to do A LOT of cool things in my career, something of which, I will be forever grateful.

Being a newly minted civilian, I find myself with a lot of extra time on my hands as my new job only allows me to work eight hours a day.  I remember building Monogram and Revell ship models as a kid and thought I might get back into it after 30(ish) years.  I've been reading A LOT of build logs and have looked at many ships I'd like to get a crack it.  Chris Warton and Vanguard Models... WOW... you have made me want to try out a wooden ship soonest!

Anyway, that's about it!  Looking forward to chatting with you all and watching you build some BEAUTIFUL models!

Take care,

Jason 

EODCM(EWS/EXW/SW/IW/MPJ)  USN(ret)

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard Jason, and also thank you for your service.  My advice;  find a relatively simple wooden model kit and dive right in (pun intended).  My limited experience is that the Navy often calls you to tackle new challenges and this is no different.  Post your progress and problems and you’ll find lots of help here.

Roger

Jason, welcome and thank you for your service. I look forward to seeing a build log of your work.  So many ships, so little time. 

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

Welcome aboard Jason, and also thank you for your service.  My advice;  find a relatively simple wooden model kit and dive right in (pun intended).  My limited experience is that the Navy often calls you to tackle new challenges and this is no different.  Post your progress and problems and you’ll find lots of help here.

Roger

Thanks Roger!  I appreciate it!  I actually grew up near Duluth.  A small town called Wrenshall off of Hwy 23 near Carlton.  My Dad still lives there.  My Brother and Sister both live in Barnum.  Stay warm up there!

Welcome to MSW, Jason from the other side of the country.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jason,

Yup, that’s just down the road from us. We live in Duluth, on top of the hill not far from the UMD campus.

My wife grew up in DC and we were married there.  I was stationed there as a very junior naval officer working for the KOG.  If you served on the Enterprise I assume that you know who he was.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Awesome!  That's a nice place to live!

I know of the KOG.  Not sure I've heard of anyone describe him as kind though.  How long ago was THAT?  He's still very influential in how NR runs the programs for ships and subs now.  

DC isn't a bad place to live but I miss home.  I think a couple of more years here and then I'm packing up and moving back!

Jason

18 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Roger

Thanks Roger!  I appreciate it!  I actually grew up near Duluth.  A small town called Wrenshall off of Hwy 23 near Carlton.  My Dad still lives there.  My Brother and Sister both live in Barnum.  Stay warm up there!

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW Jason 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

A warm welcome to MSW Jason,

PLEASE leave your EOD experience in a closet because there are times for many newbies and experienced builders alike when the thought of blowing up project comes to mind.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

26 minutes ago, allanyed said:

PLEASE leave your EOD experience in a closet because there are times for many newbies and experienced builders alike when the thought of blowing up project comes to mind.

Allan

But, but.... some will need help with that. :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)