HMB ENDEAVOUR by Peter6172 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/65

The pinnace bottom was painted with white lead, whereas the longboat bottom was varnished, probably the yawl as well. There is a commentary on the boats in AOTS. Most likely the longboat was also painted with white lead by the time they reached Australia, because the carpenters had to replace the bottom at Tahiti because it was destroyed by worms, and Cook noted in his journal that the pinnace was unaffected due to the white lead

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Continued working on ENDEAVOURs boats today. Checking the kits boats vs Marquardt's drawings I found them way too long so I cut our the centre of the semi finished Longboat and removed Frame 6 from the Pinnace formwork.

Joining the two halves of the longboat was not as difficult as I thought and I have started the finishing touches.  Still some more cleaning up to do then painting the hull tot he waterline white.

Marquardt's drawing shows a windlass in the longboats midships between the aft mast seat and the next seat forward.image.thumb.jpeg.58bed6309351a1ba2bc54cf34d2e047c.jpeg

Edited by Peter6172

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

Out of curiosity, what are the kit lengths for the yawl, pinnace, and long boat and those of Marquardt?   I could not find the lengths for her boats specifically only for ships of war in the time frame for Endeavour.

Thanks Peter

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 6/24/2022 at 8:30 PM, allanyed said:

Out of curiosity, what are the kit lengths for the yawl, pinnace, and long boat and those of Marquardt?   I could not find the lengths for her boats specifically only for ships of war in the time frame for Endeavour.

Thanks Peter

Allan

The longboat is 110mm and the Pinnace 100mm long in the kit.  Marquardt's drawings show 85mm for the longboat and pinnace.  The kit does not provide for a Yawl but Marquardt's drawings indicate 48mm.  As I only have scanned copy of Marquardt's drawings I cannot be too accurate with the dimensions.   Parkins book refers to the Longboat as 18'1", The pinnace as 18' and the Yawl as 10' so this gels well with my Marquardt estimates as ENDEAVOUR is 1/64 scale.

The kits boats fittings are not very accurate either especially under foot and in the bow of each boat.

Edited by Peter6172

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Rigging has slowly progressed.  Still waiting for my next order of Ropes for Scale as I am short some standing rigging.  I'm close to completing the fore course yard and will soon progress to the Topsail mast and yard.  The Stays on the topsail mast are only temporarily in place (held down by a bulldog clip on the stem post) as I wait for standing rigging to make up the pendants and shrouds.  I still have to make up a truss for the fore course yard but have yet to identify where it ties off too as its not represented in the kit, Marquardt's drawings or the replica ENDEAVOUR.  According to Petersson's book on rigging it would venture to the base of the fore mast via a table hooked to a ring in the deck and tie off on the bitts aft of the mast. but there aren't enough belaying ins for this purpose.

IMG_0355.jpg

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

20 minutes ago, Peter6172 said:

Parkins book refers to the Longboat as 18'1", The pinnacle as 18' and the Yawl as 10'

Hi Peter,  There are detailed scantlings for various types and sizes of boats on May's Boats of Men of War, but they may be a little off as they are for circa 1800.  Still, at 1:65, they are likely closer than anything else.  

The closest I can find are for a 19 foot longboat, 19 foot pinnace, and 16 foot yawl.   The scantlings cover every piece of each of these boats.  For example, the siding and moulded dimension of the futtocks  -- 1.75" sided at the heel, 1.5" at the head, and moulded 1.5" at the head.  The ones on the kit look to be about triple what they should be.    Also, there would be about 14 frames on the longboat and pinnace rather than the six in the photo that you posted from the kit model.  The book is copyrighted so I cannot post the four pages of scantlings, but if you want any more details, PM me with your email address and I can transcribe the scantlings that you wish to have and forward to you.  

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Peter,  There are detailed scantlings for various types and sizes of boats on May's Boats of Men of War, but they may be a little off as they are for circa 1800.  Still, at 1:65, they are likely closer than anything else.  

The closest I can find are for a 19 foot longboat, 19 foot pinnace, and 16 foot yawl.   The scantlings cover every piece of each of these boats.  For example, the siding and moulded dimension of the futtocks  -- 1.75" sided at the heel, 1.5" at the head, and moulded 1.5" at the head.  The ones on the kit look to be about triple what they should be.    Also, there would be about 14 frames on the longboat and pinnace rather than the six in the photo that you posted from the kit model.  The book is copyrighted so I cannot post the four pages of scantlings, but if you want any more details, PM me with your email address and I can transcribe the scantlings that you wish to have and forward to you.  

Allan 

Allan,  There are good diagrams in both Parkins and Marquardt's books.  Not sure if I will get to scratch building them or keep to the shortened versions I have made from the kits boats.  I will have to scratch build a Yawl and Bank's Skiff if I want a complete set fr the Australia journey.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

11 hours ago, Peter6172 said:

Rigging has slowly progressed.  Still waiting for my next order of Ropes for Scale as I am short some standing rigging.  I'm close to completing the fore course yard and will soon progress to the Topsail mast and yard.  The Stays on the topsail mast are only temporarily in place (held down by a bulldog clip on the stem post) as I wait for standing rigging to make up the pendants and shrouds.  I still have to make up a truss for the fore course yard but have yet to identify where it ties off too as its not represented in the kit, Marquardt's drawings or the replica ENDEAVOUR.  According to Petersson's book on rigging it would venture to the base of the fore mast via a table hooked to a ring in the deck and tie off on the bitts aft of the mast. but there aren't enough belaying ins for this purpose.

IMG_0355.jpg

Hi Peter

Regarding the fore course truss pendants: they lead down to a pair of double blocks and an eyebolt at the base of the mast. The replica vessel has them rigged this way, and there is a cleat on the mast to belay the fall. Also described this way in Lees and the book by Darcy Lever - A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor

Cheers

Steve

IMG_7392 (480x640).jpg

IMG_0269 (480x640).jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

15 hours ago, shipaholic said:

Hi Peter

Regarding the fore course truss pendants: they lead down to a pair of double blocks and an eyebolt at the base of the mast. The replica vessel has them rigged this way, and there is a cleat on the mast to belay the fall. Also described this way in Lees and the book by Darcy Lever - A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor

Cheers

Steve

As this is also how Petersson's book shows them so I will follow suit.  Many thanks for the images.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that most model ship plans miss breast stays but as I am modelling them I need information about them but cannot find them in The Art of Rigging or rigging tabes I have access to.  

Can anyone tell me the size of a breast stay vs the associated backstay (e.g. equal size, 75% or 50%)  so that I can model them in the correct scale rope.  Marquardt's drawings of ENDEAVOUR show them quite clearly so rigging them is not the problem but that doesn't help with sizing the rope.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

I thing I have the answer for the sizes. I've added the spreadsheet file I used.

Size is in Diameter. The sizes were the same on the Fore Mast.

Main Breast Backstay - 0.7mm

Main Breast Backstay Lanyards - 0.4mm

Main Running Breast Backstay - 0.3mm

Main Running Breast Backstay Falls - 0.2mm

HMS Endeavour (1.64).ods

Edited by BenD

11 hours ago, BenD said:

I thing I have the answer for the sizes. I've added the spreadsheet file I used I used. 

Size is in Diameter. The sizes were the same on the Fore Mast.

Main Breast Backstay - 0.7mm

Main Breast Backstay Lanyards - 0.4mm

Main Running Breast Backstay - 0.3mm

Main Running Breast Backstay Falls - 0.2mm

HMS Endeavour (1.64).ods 527.37 kB · 1 download

Ben,  I should have known you had this type of information.   Very much appreciated.  At 0.7mm I can get on with them now.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

OK,

Now that I am well into running rigging, I gather that Bowlines, Leechlines and Buntlines are not rigged when sails are not fitted.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

The more experienced may offer a better answer, but I think in real life some were and some weren't; BUT some modellers don't include them.  It is possible some of the lines that rig through blocks on the yards (leech, bunts etc) were left in place if the sails were unbent for temporary/short periods, but the lower sail control lines such as the bowlines were stowed and rigged when sails were bent.

I look forward to the answers and updates you receive.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Jolly Boat kit is assembled and the frames faired ready for planking. I even managed to shape one of the oars. Its a delicate model to assemble but once assembled its quite robust
The first image shows the near completed (but cut down) kit model vs the full frame version sitting in its 'mould'.

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Ropes arrived and its back to rigging. Some progress has been made in the past 24 hours. Standing rigging is now at 75% while running rigging is at just over 50%. Who thought there were so many ropes and blocks in a three masted ship 
I should be able to make the 16 Sep deadline for the Canberra Model Shipwrights EXPO 2022.

IMG_0382.jpg

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

I purchased thimbles from Caldercraft in the UK for the Topgalleant shrouds as well as the topgallant backstays. I realised that making the 32 thimbles was going to take me a lot of time. One is turned in to show the thimbles depth.

These closeups really show the dust that gathers on a model too...😂

IMG_0383.jpg

Edited by Peter6172

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

• 4 weeks later...

Well she's all but complete.  

Still have the two smaller anchors and the stern lantern to mount and two boats to finish planking.  I have made up one spare spar with another in the lathe ready for tapering.  While I have rigged a Main Masthead tricolour pennant I am having issues trying to identify where this would have been tied off.  No mention in Parkins or Marquardt's books nor can I find any information online.

There are a number of lines (Clew, Bunt, Bow and Brail lines I have not rigged.  According to the Marquardt book, theses lines were pretty much rigged directly on the sails themselves.  This seems to include the downhauls and associated blocks for all the staysails too;  Hence I have omitted these.

IMG_0398.jpg

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Nicely done, looks good Peter

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Just found your log Peter - well done, and she looked even better “in the flesh” at the CMSS expo today.