New member in Louisville, KY

Hey folks, Dion Dunn here.  I’m a mid-50’s builder of. Pretty much anything and everything,  and have recently turned my attention back to model ships.  Over the past 40 years, I’ve built or restored everything from a 1952 Ford Custom (first car) to a Formula Vee race car, to a vintage Italian  bicycle….Lots of RC airplanes and sailboats, RC cars, an HO scale model railroad (in progress), and now back to boats.  I’m also the ex-Commodore of our local Sailing club and actively race a Sunfish and a Capris 14.2 fullsize sailboats.

In the past I’ve built the Model Expo Phantom pilot boat, the Amati 1934 J class Rainbow, and the Model Expo Taurus tugboat (for my Father’s train layout).  A few years ago I purchased one of the older Artesania Latina 1:50 Swift kits at a garage sale, and have just started it.  It’s not the best kit in the world, but it’s scratching the itch for now.  Looking forward to a larger build and learning lots from the folks on this site!

Dion

Dion

current dry dock USS Arizona

Dion,

A warm welcome to MSW.    If you are relegated to kits rather than scratch building, study the many build logs before investing your money.   Once you have homed in on a specific vessel it is very good idea to do some research on the actual ship to see if the details of the kit look like the actual vessel.  Not all kits are faithful to the vessel they purport to represent when it comes to the details. 

Allan    

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW, Dion.   Allan offered some good suggestions.   If you want to refine your search for input, be a bit more specific as to era and "type".  Feel free to ask questions in the appropriate area in order to get maximum input.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Can't wait to see what you're building!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome to MSW!

Sunfish sailors are especially welcome here.  My first 1:1 scale sailboat was a wooden Sunfish, built with my father in our basement in 1957 from an Alcort Kit.  The kit cost $300.  Great boats!  A couple of years ago, I read Nathaniel Philbrick’s book about rediscovering his passion for sailing by resurrecting an old Sunfish and eventually competing in the Nationals.

Roger

Welcome to the forum Dion, it's a great place. Many years ago in my first youth, I was Bow man on a racing C&C 32 out of the Rochester, NY Yacht Club. Loved it, but that adventure ended with a nasty broach on a gusty downwind spinnaker run, which tossed me overboard taking the spinnaker boom and a lifeline stanchion with me. Since then, I haven't been on the water and switched to motorcycles instead... less chance of drowning. 😉

Spoiler

Deacon

Build Log: HMS Victory 1:98 Mantua 776/Scratchbuild

Geal 'us dearg a suas