Hi guys and ladies,
Opinions please on deck planking 1:54 HMB Endeavour.
If I follow Occre's instructions and mark up the planking for butts AND treenailing plank to frame, it looks awfully busy.
I have decided to model the butts only, with a four-strake stagger. After pencilling, weathering and spraying a matt poly it looks like this.
This is, after all, my model and my interpretation of the kit.

Endeavour2.jpg

17 hours ago, Tony_Brooks said:

Opinions please

If you are treenailing the main deck, why not the forecastle?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Perhaps treenailing should be left out altogether.  At your scale, deck treenails would be about 0.015" diameter (#79 drill bit)   and making treenails that small is difficult at best.   A high quality draw plate and bamboo will work if you really want to show these.   The treenails should also be very unobtrusive, not stark and dark.  A good example of the subtlety can be seen in the photo below from a build log here at MSW.  I saved this photo but do not recall which log, so am sorry for not giving credit to the model builder.

Allan

393321280_Decktreenails.jpg.022643eba1eaa0bab95e1307ceedfc1c.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Easy way to do treenails at this size would be drill holes (not very deep) of the appropriate size (Allens' size seems right).  The fill the holes with either a bit of glue and very fine sawdust or Plastic Wood which comes in colors.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I totally agree and have used this method on both the hull and deck planking at times at small scales   I just smear some watered down white or yellow glue over the holes (in small sections), and sand with fine sand paper.    The saw dust will be a close match to the wood but a LITTLE darker so visible, yet subtle.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

15 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Perhaps treenailing should be left out altogether. 

A little late for that at this point.

When I said "  treenailing " I was speaking of the effect that was achieved on the model as it sits, and continuing the effect on the forecastle, with the simulated treenails at the ends of the planks.

Tree1.jpg.c7f7dece0fdda0bbe552eb5c42651d3b.jpg

Right or wrong, it boils down to what the modeler  is trying to accomplish.

― Jimmy Buffett

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

If you are treenailing the main deck, why not the forecastle?

Hi Gregory, thanks for your help.
I have only marked the butt joints between two planks. At scale, 16' planks would have no butts on the fo'c'sle. I agree I should mark the end nails and I will  test a sample of pencilling over the (already applied) matt poly)

You might just try making a mark with the point of a pin then a bit of pencil..  Give it  a light sanding and give it another coat  of poly.

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Easy way to do treenails at this size would be drill holes (not very deep) of the appropriate size (Allens' size seems right).  The fill the holes with either a bit of glue and very fine sawdust or Plastic Wood which comes in colors.

Seems like an excellent idea to do this.Thanks you

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour