scale rope and thread storage (shop talk)

Hi All,

I have a collection of scale rope and seizing thread started and I'm a beginner. Im sure some of you must have vast amounts of rope and thread in your yards.

I have 3 "bobbins" (long 4" red plastic tubes) from Amati along with 2 diameters of scale rope in a sealed bag (also Amati), 5 or 6 different diameters of rope from Model Shipways wound onto plastic "kite string" looking things and 2 diameters of rope from Syren in small zip lock bags plus 4 bobbins of various color 6/0 and 8/0 line for making seizings.

How do you keep it all organized? Pictures of your "rope" area?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Funny you should ask..

image.thumb.jpeg.b0779a9a97651e6163e329c52ae96999.jpeg

Most of my rope that I make is about 40 inches long, and I have found if I wind it on spools it is really hard to get the curves out if I don't use it right away.

I just double it and hang loosely from this wire shelf.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

My thread stays on the spools it came on and stored in a closed box. Laid up line is coiled in 4"-5" coils in the same fashion as full-size rope, with a half turn twist in each coil so it lays perfectly flat without kinks or hockles. This is stored in a zip-lock sandwich bag which contains a piece of card stock cut to the size of the inside of the sandwich bag which gives the bag rigidity. On the card stock is written the type of thread used in the lay up, the number of strands and direction of the lay and any other information necessary to duplicate the line stored in the bag. The bags are kept in a box similar to a large index card box, so they can be "flipped through" and the one desired easily selected. The plastic bags keep the line clean and dust-free. Easy and cheap solution.

I have several "bins" from sewing/craft supply shops.  Each one has compartments of various sizes and keep my rope in them.  Here's one of them.  There are others but this should get you started.

To get any twists etc. out, I hang the rope in the bathroom while taking a shower.  I attach a weight at the bottom.  After hanging around the bathroom for most of the day, it's straight and dry.

DSCF3455.JPG.96a332ffb6d4ee41fea11e71f37d6efb.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)