Nantasket 1878 by Skip C - scale 1:72 - Sidewheel Steamer

Hello everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I am a 44 year old recovering alcoholic with 5 years sobriety. Many great things have happened as a result. (If there is anyone out there struggling with addiction, just know there is a better life out there if you really want it). One of those great things was that many of my old interests and hobbies started coming back to the forefront, and one of them was my love of ships. Ever since my Grandmother first told me of the Titanic, I was hooked on ships and shipwrecks. paired with a passion for the ocean, specifically Nantasket beach since I grew up there. (I moved to Hull, Massachusetts in 1984, just in time to watch them tear down the beloved "Paragon Park") 

So one day at work I was just looking at a bunch of old photos of old Nantasket beach, and I began to come across photos of the old steamboats that once serviced the area. Hull being a summer resort town, and during the turn of the last century there were many Steamboats that ferried people to and from Boston and the surrounding areas... So that's when I got the Idea that I would like to model one of these steamboats, but which one. There were so many... The SS Rose Standish, The SS Betty Alden, The SS Mayflower, The SS Town of Hull. But the one boat that really captured me was the SS Nantasket. Her beautiful lines, and ornate paddle box, really make her something to see. 

The beginning stages of research were not as easy as I initially though. It took me a while to figure out that there were actually at least to my knowledge four paddle steamers named "Nantasket". I set my focus on the second Steamer to carry that name. She was built by the shipbuilding company Montgomery and Howard in Chelsea, Massachusetts in 1878 for the Hingham, Hull, and Downer's Landing Steamboat company. I do not have the exact numbers in front of me at the moment, but I believe she was 174.5' from Stem to Stern, 28' beam, and 9' draft wooden hull, single cylinder vertical (walking) beam steam engine. She was later sold to some company who ran her in the Sag Harbor area of New York, or New Jersey. I believe in 1910 she was  sold again to the Keansburg Steamboat Co. and renamed SS Keansburg. Sadly she succumbed to a dock fire on April 16, 1928.

I apologize if this post is getting long winded.  One of my other hobbies is 3D modelling. I have dabbled a little over the years, tinkering with Bryce, Blender, etc. I picked up a 3D resin printer last year to create miniatures for Dungeons and Dragons, so naturally when the thought of modelling a ship came to mind, I knew I had to incorporate that into this build. So in anticipation I began to learn and teach myself Fusion 360. I have been at it for a little over a year now, and would like to show you all what I have so far. Keep in mind that I have also been reading antique books on ship building, and also taught myself how to read ships plans. I would also like to thank a member of this forum who started a similar project, and who was the inspiration for this project, The Hull from these two boats are very similar, and there being no plans available of the Nantasket, I have decided to use these as a base.: 

3-D Armenia by SalD – Hudson River Sidewheeler, 1847 

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q=armenia&quick=1

From his post I was able to find out that a copy of the plans he was using actually came from an issue of "Steamboat Bill" magazine from 1956. So after five failed attempts, this is my sixth iteration. I plan to model this project in 3D, and use Fusion to create the parts I need. I plan on purchasing a CNC router in the near future, so I will have that at my disposal as well. I look forward to meeting you all, and look forward to documenting my build here on the forum. Thank you!!!

Skip

Nantasket Side.png

FusionScreenShot1.png

Looking forward to seeing this build!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW, Skip.   Looks to be a fascinating project.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1st attempt at lofting this hull. I am getting excited. I have tried to model this 5 times before, and this is the 1st time I lofted something that is acceptable. I do believe I can create some frame templates from this. Now I need to work on the aft deadwood section, and I am having a little difficultly with the transom, but I think I will be able to work it out. It should be interesting to see where this goes, as I have never gotten this far with the model. I always get stuck with the lofting process. (That is Fusion 360 Lofting, not actual ships lines lofting..."  😁

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.06.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.08.30 AM.png

Armenia Stern Sketch.jpeg

Looking at that sketch reminded me of the stern of the steamboat Arabia. This was a Western River sidewheel steamboat built in 1856, a very different context than yours, but the geometry is somewhat similar. The Arabia's stern was recovered and is now on display at a museum in Kansas City, where I took a bunch of photographs of it (both exterior and interior) while planning a scratchbuilt model of her. If you're having trouble conceptualizing the stern of your vessel, perhaps it'd be helpful to look at these photos, since so few real-life examples of these hulls remain? I wrote a whole thread on researching that model, here's the relevant post where I share all the stern photos, and below is one just for an example (I don't want to spam your thread with lots of these):

Arabia_stern_5.jpg

So even though the loft looked good before, there were a few issues that needed to be addressed. I spent 5 hours yesterday fixing all the lofting issues, and modeling the Transom. At one point I didn't think I was going to figure it out. Although it looks simple, it was a bear in Fusion to get right. I would still like to tweak it a little. It is a bit square, and I would like it to terminate with a little more rounded end. But for all intents and purposes it is ok. I can focus my attentions on getting the real model correct, I think that is more important.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.08.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.34.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 10.28.17 AM.png

Edited by Skip C

I figured out the curved transom. Now I have what essentialy is my cutting tool. I will use this hull form to cut out all the frames... I hope!!!

I watched a tutorial online where a guy does this to make an airplane wing, so I think it will work for ships frames. I should have it done this weekend.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.09.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.10.02 PM.png

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Maureen, I do not have any models unfortunaltly. I am still working on this on. Which only exists on paper at the moment. I do have quite a few rare post cards of the Nantasket. I also have a painting that I had commisioned by a local artist. If any of that interests you let me know. I live in Stoughton now, so not far.

• The title was changed to Nantasket 1878 by Skip C - scale 1:72 - Sidewheel Steamer