My Norske Love kit came without scribed/pinted deck planking lines on the deck pieces.  Rather than draw them in, I intend to plank the decks (simply because I have a bundle of 111 X 6 mm strips).  6 mm is entirely too wide to use this lumber as is, so I need to cut them (rip lengthwise).  I will be happy with 3mm wide planks.  I cannot figure out a simple, accurate & efficient way to do the cutting and I'm hoping someone here will suggest something...anyone please?

Cheers!

Bill

Current build Andrea Gail (Billings)

Bill,

I knew I'd seen something about how to do planks.... see this post for a link: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2915-milling-planks-need-help-moved-by-moderator/?p=80856

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You can get plank strippers where you pull the plank through the device and the adjustable blade will cut to the right size. They are quite handy

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Maybe try using the plank stripper by doing several shallow cuts instead of a single cut through the full thickness, this should help prevent the blade from following the grain.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I always cut my planking from 3 or 4 inch wide sheet. If the planks are from a 1/32" thick sheet, I tape a brass bar 1/32" thick by 3/4" or 1" wide to my table, leaving the front edge of the brass without tape. I then use another brass bar on top, overlapping the first by as wide as I want the plank. Now I can slid the wood under the upper piece of brass until it rests against the lower piece of brass and I have an edge to run my blade against. With this setup I can cut as many planks as I need.

Bob

post-513-0-17626700-1376327620_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-33930900-1376327635_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-42143700-1376327657_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-44480200-1376327668_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Brian,

It should.  I usually don't cut planks from walnut or mahogany but I do use a straight edge.  With this setup you hold the wood against the stop underneath while you cut against the straight edge on top.  Should be the same.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the tip will try it with walnut.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Bob,

That is an excellent way of making the strips, you don't waste any wood like if you did it a a table saw, and I don't see any problems with using other woods. You might have to cut more that one time but it should still work. just take your time when cutting harder woods. Taking time seems to be a down fall for a lot of us.Also a lot of us don't have that much time. So many sip and so little time is the problem. Thank you for the tip.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I bet a good head knife would do an excellent job used with your guide and measure system. You run the head knife along your guide while applying as much pressure as needed, should end up with a clean cut, even in heavy woods at planking thicknesses.

jud