Happy 4th of July from Seattle

Happy 4th.  Today's high here is 67 F...

My name is Chris.  I'm a former engineer, recently retired from a "small" local airplane company located in the greater Seattle area.   In retirement I find myself squandering about doing the frivolous, yet desirable, activities that I did not have time for while "growing up".  One of those activities is the construction of model kits.

I have some experience building plastic kits, planes, tanks, vehicles, and ship.  New to me, this era of model building brings with it the added bonus of delving into history and research, something I really enjoy. 

I'm new to building wooden model ships.  I've always had the desire to start, but am afraid I may not possess sufficient forbearance, endurance, or skill(s).  I'm counting on my prior model building experience to help tether my expectations and foster my patience. 

My plan is to start slow, cautiously and small.  I've watched a number of YouTube builds, so I get it, it's hard.  But it's doable; come up with a feasible plan, expect and allow for complications, learn and hone new skills, uncover the details and the history, and enjoy the journey.

...and so it begins.

Hi Chris!  Welcome aboard.  The forecast for the Chicago area for tomorrow is 95 degrees!!  MSW is a great forum for getting help and guidance with your ship building endeavor.  I just completed my first one last month.  So, you are in good company.  The best way to get feedback is to maintain a build log for your project.  Best of luck to you.

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

Chris ,welcome to MSW. There is a group of modelers in your area. PSSM Puget Sound Ship Modelers Contact Floyd Kershner ( he's on this site ) if you are interested in some local help.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Hi Chris, Welcome to MSW from down at the lower end of the PNW.  You're on the right track and in the right place...   Start small and grow from there and do logs as you meet other builders and also get help when needed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the wonderful world of model ship building. You have a plan that should work, and when it doesn't you can just pop in here and ask questions. Someone here will have the answer you need. 

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Chris, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Edited by Keith Black

Welcome aboard Chris!   You certainly are in the middle of the aerospace industry from Vashon to Boeing.  From high flying metal to slow moving wood should be a fun change.

Per all the posts, start slow, but be sure to stay with quality kits.  Not all kit makers are created equal.  As a true beginner what may make the most sense is to go with the three vessel series that has incremental challenges from Model Shipways that was designed by David Antscherl.   Look at the build logs on these as well as others that you may have a hankering to build and be sure to ask for advice on any specific kit BEFORE you buy it.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW. This is the place to be !!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

A very nice welcome, thank you.

Like many of you, when I started considering building wooden model ships, I did a lot of Googling.  Posts from this forum would often be the most informative...in a good way.

Now that I've committed to starting this hobby, becoming a part of this forum seems like a no-brainer.  I do hope to learn and I hope to share.

In addition to the welcome, thanks for the advice on what and where to start. I will certainly give the Model Shipways series a good look. And I was unaware of the local SIG, which, in after-thought, seems a natural, given our area's geography and history, and the number of skilled workmen who live here.  I'll look them up as well.

Lastly, I did not know that the Nautical Research Guild offered a planking kit.  Intrigued, I tried my best to read through the associated thread.  Something else to consider, thank you.

Well, I'm off kit hunting.  🙂

Chris, warm Welcome to MSW and yes I like to second what steamschooner wrote.

Contact us at Puget Sound Ship Modelers, PSSM.

You can also contact me as I am the editor for the news letter.

Twice a year we are meeting at Foss Waterway Museum.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry