I'm building out the deck furniture on Unite as refit by the British dockyard 1797. The plans call for steam gratings above the stove. Every other grating is marked as just grating on the plans. I can't seem to find if there was a difference or not in construction between steam gratings and regular cargo gratings. Does anybody know the answer? Thanks.

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

I would also guess that they would be iron as iron gratings replaced wood ones in the next century. I would like to verify if anyone knows. Thanks.

Richard

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Looking at contemporary models at Preble Hall and RMG for late 18th century ships, all of the gratings are wood.  One example is below.  Does this mean it is the same on Unite?  Not necessarily, but you cannot be faulted for using wood as this is at least one example that shows wood gratings were used.  For Unite, it sounds like you have the contemporary plans (ZAZ3183) and as refitted (ZAZ3184) from RMG.  Kudos on doing the research!!  

Allan

1618874566_BelfryCharleyNobleandsteamgrating.thumb.jpg.b7e905a1806a57897bfa7d79eb5b170d.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

It looks like that model builder didn't follow good practice with the joints on those coamings. 

image.png.b5b33ad6f2e136a87d601b69e87648c6.png

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Gregory

Good catch!!  I don't recall ever seeing mitered joints on the head ledges and coamings on a contemporary model.   Could it be these are replacements from some later date?    Either way, they do not seem to be made using accepted practice for that time.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Druxey

LOL!!!!   I needed a good laugh, many thanks for that!!!

Could it be that such gratings above the stove were clad on the under- and inside in sheet-metal of some sort to protect the wood from heat and the steam? You wouldn't see this from above and modellers would not (haved) reproduce(d) it.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg