HMS Endeavour by harlequin - Corel - 1:60

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Harlequin

The planking start looks really good.  Now the fun part below the wales.  At least the tutorial by David Antscherl and Chuck Passaro's videos will give you a lot of help in getting the rest done without too much difficulty.  Wish these were around back in the day for a lot of us.

Do the instructions in your kit show how to trim the top timbers to the proper moulded dimension which would be about 6" versus the 30" or so that shows now for Endeavour?   If you have not already seen them, there are six photos of a model of Endeavour at the Royal Museum Greenwich that show a lot of details.   https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-66316  Below is what I mean about the moulded dimension on the Corel design versus what it would have been on the ship itself.  There are a number of her contemporary plans in high resolution on the Wiki Commons site on the 8th page for Endeavour as well.

Allan

678745707_Endeavourtoptimbers.JPG.2d886083e548fd9929e59941ddb7c9b2.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Neatly done work Harlequin!

One question, hope you don't mind.   Is the vertical planking on the transom a kit instruction?    I had never seen this before so am curious how these planks are secured to the stern timbers as they  are also vertical and rest on the wing transom as was standard practice.  This can be seen on the contemporary drawing ZAZ6588 at the RMG Collections site.  

Thanks for continuing to share your build.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

12 hours ago, harlequin said:

.I am not overly concerned about the accuracy of the ship i am building, for me it is an enjoyable hobby.... 

Thanks Harlequin.  It is a hobby for the vast majority after all and should be an enjoyable pastime. 

Allan

Your first layer of planking is better than a lot of models' second planking we see.  Kudos!!   It is almost a shame to cover it 😀

Edited by allanyed

The camera can also show a lot of defects.  I have had  MANY occasions where I thought something looked really good (to the naked eye.)   After taking photos and enlarging, there were do-overs galore.    Camera work can be a great aid to the builder as well as to others interested in the build.   

Allan

Hello Harlequin:

I don't know how I've missed this log, but it just came up on my feed this morning and I'm glad to have found it - I'm just heading to work so can't go through it but will this evening - in the meantime - she's looking great!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

The planking looks great - now the real fun can begin!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Very nice work, I liked my Occre Endeavour but found the dimensions in the Occre booklet did'nt match the plans. So lesson learned go by the plan sheets for dimensions. 

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

• 2 weeks later...

endeavour is coming along nicely.....i am waiting for some walnut sheets to arrive as the planking i have varies in colour wildly and has started to annoy me, hopefully they will provide a consistent colour for the completion of the hull  ....i dont build well when irritated....i have been continuing with other bits of the build in the meantime and will post a couple of pics later. I have also been busy with the rigging on my Unicorn build too and that is progressing well...