Nonsuch 30 by bobandlucy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

Bob

Looks great.

I totally understand questioning every detail and how I should approach some of the remedies to minor problems. That's the problem with 40 years of engineering, but I can't change my nature now, so I sweat the details.

Gary

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

Gary, yes- doing years of exacting work, trying to do the best for a client, and hopefully keeping the firm out of court changes a person. Sometimes for the better. . . sometimes otherwise.

I did the third round of filling/sanding to the most offending side of the hull. Totally worth the effort. Will repeat on the other side and re-evaluate.

110_0430.thumb.JPG.e78e1059c325422f1e984348f9f995d0.JPG

Made the display base. I replaced the wooden dowels with brass rod, as I did on Harriet Lane. The boat is very wobbly when placed on the base, due to a gap between the hull halves at the aft end, which enlarged the hole for the mounting rod. It is not time to permanently mount the boat to the rods, so I am stabilizing things with elastic bands.

110_0432.thumb.JPG.bc789396eb83888ad709eb82bc4f71b5.JPG

The nuts are out again, this time weighing down the cockpit floor while the glue sets.

110_0433.thumb.JPG.aadf1d0c8a0a18b8abca6c7e68d97543.JPG

Attaching the seat sides. . . going is slow in the cockpit, as a lot of adjustments are required due to accumulated errors. I am hopeful it will be OK.

110_0439.thumb.JPG.8d6f5f4eeb8cf8f8835b2112f7900755.JPG

On 10/17/2022 at 9:41 AM, bobandlucy said:

Steve, I'm going rather slow, so start a build log- when you pass me by, I'll pick up tips from you!

When you're done with Nonsuch, you may want to try the fourth in the learning series, the 1:96 Harriet Lane. I don't know why it's not being advertised as such, but the manual indicates that it is the fourth. All you have learned through building the first three comes together in the HL, and adds some more complex features. It's quite a challenge, and is the one of which I'm most proud.

Nonsuch is not as complex, but is an interesting subject as a modern personal yacht still in use today. If I were to take up sailing, it might be with a similar live-aboard boat. Fun to build.

b

I would like to build a paddle wheel at some point, so I thought about the Harriet Lane, but now I’m leaning to scratch building the confederate blockade runner Hope using the Seawatch book.

BTW your build is looking great, I just started my build of Nonsuch… 

When I said Nonsuch is not as complex as Harriet Lane, I guess that's true in regard to the number of features, and its simpler rigging. False as to skill level required. Kit designer David A., in the manual says, "Although this model appears to be simple to build, it is not." Of course he's correct. It is a greater challenge, because as a modern mass-manufactured boat, flaws show in greater magnitude. Also, as a step up in the series, one must think more things out for oneself. This model is kicking my behind in some ways, and I have a long way to go. Getting my monies worth for sure! I'm hoping to get a Grade B or C on this one. I see some difficult problems to be solved coming up. . . 

Some refinements still needed, but the cockpit area is built. 

110_0442.thumb.JPG.a6a5d6ea36c1aa214999420be0e44a95.JPG 

Edited by bobandlucy

Installed the cabin sides. Despite efforts made, I have some filling to do at the juncture of the deck and sides, and the joints between the side pieces. . .

110_0446.thumb.JPG.d0c97c445d317417642c21fe865fbccf.JPG

Began installing the cabin roof. I was worried about this, but it looks like it will be pretty good:

110_0453.thumb.JPG.9d8dab08a829d0bcbeac269c5dd6b9f5.JPG

Wet-bending the slope at the fore-end of the cabin:

110_0454.thumb.JPG.6f08262481a934ccc58b00f51e6d28d4.JPG

One thing I want to note for other builders of this kit: As I had noted in an earlier post, the hole for the mounting rod was elongated side-to-side, because of some warping of the hull halves (was not this way before planking). The part of the spine resting on the mounting rod is not much wider than the rod (if at all), and as the boat is not glued to the rod at this stage, a couple of times the boat tipped and slipped off the rod, and while trying to right the boat, the hull was crushed a bit on one side. Can't show a pic of this right now, but now I have an even more elongated mounting hole. So, be careful! Might not hurt to glue some scrap on either side of the mounting slot in the spine, both fore and aft, for a little more margin for error. . .

Nothing a little filler won't fix. I'll do that before painting the hull. Not the time now, as the filler won't give much structural strength.

Sanding and filling the topside. Still a bit to do, but it is coming along nicely. I'm applying filler to every joint with a toothpick sanded to a chisel point, slow going. Sanding with 220, then 320, then 400 grit paper.

Showing the "good side" of the lower hull here. I still see defects on the other side. but will not make additional attempts to correct, as I did 5 rounds. I did learn from this experience! It all chalks up to the planking. . .

I'm very happy with the cockpit, and this is the most appealing part of the boat to me, so far. After all, this is where I'm hanging out on a nice day, enjoying an adult beverage. . .

110_0457.thumb.JPG.fd16aa7c03f772e629a4e3e205c5854f.JPG

110_0460.thumb.JPG.6c151356a170db0b0a7bb397818eb2c4.JPG

110_0461.thumb.JPG.cb13a908b71c434e41d85b3e2a5788f5.JPG

110_0463.thumb.JPG.59b10b01eb1c8bb9a76bd1cf5d7ee663.JPG

22 minutes ago, druxey said:

Looking very good indeed, Bob! Have you decided on a color scheme yet? The actual boats come in a variety of colors.

Thank you, Sir!

I did get the paint set from ME, but have not really examined/evaluated their choices yet. . . sometimes in previous projects they have been puzzling or inexplicable.

I have spent some evenings looking at pictures on the net, you're correct- the color choices are limitless. Paralyzing. . .

Have also found a couple of sites with historical information regarding this boat and the people involved in design and production. Very interesting! I'm sure you have seen them, but for others who might be interested, here are two articles:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X-xEsvFyVP7TgoHYdLq6Z27C_a8rGasA/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/133gzmsrpGO7aZS2XJkcmj2BQgntajWC0/view

There are also some "live" tours out there. 

Bob

Looking very sharp, Bob! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Placed the cabin roof elements called for by instructions prior to priming the topsides, and the Sampson post, engine exhaust ports, and mast ring, then did the priming. For the first time ever, used my airbrush (gravity type) through two paint cupful's without clogging. Came out pretty good! I only see four areas needing filling, and these are minor. They include three places on the cabin roof, one a seam, the others places there the laser guidelines do not match the mating elements. The largest area is the cross-grained vertical pieces of the outer cockpit wall at the stern. I don't see a need for a complete re-priming, and may re-prime the corrected places by hand.

All of the topside was sanded to 400 grit. The areas that are absolutely smooth are those that were filled. If I ever do this sort of hull again, I would consider using sanding sealer. But I will lightly sand the primed surfaces, and feel sure all will be OK.

110_0467.thumb.JPG.fbbadfb25abf755491a30d149b5b52a6.JPG

110_0475.thumb.JPG.e468ec4b40a7970bd97616382832ada4.JPG

I'm very happy at the moment- it seems like a good place to quit for the day!

This is how I dealt with the damage caused by the boat falling off its perch. . . forgot to take a picture of the actual damage, but it was at least the size of the original mounting post hole:

110_0477.thumb.JPG.273caf7076af510c9570a9d305ef555f.JPG

Repaired the mounting post hole. I managed to sneak in a piece of wood as a backing for filler. then filed to size.

Began painting the lower hull. I airbrushed the white. It took a full ounce of pre-thinned paint, and many coats to cover the gray primer. I ended up using ME's supplied paint for the bottom, and hand-painted that area. There are some flaws, and when I removed the Tamiya for Curves tape after painting the bottom, it took off some of the paint near the stern. I will wait until painting the topside white to repair this. Think the fin and rudder need another coat, but that will wait until tomorrow. Knowing when to quit is important!

110_0478.thumb.JPG.712752a2df2b888ba5f1114fe8781eb1.JPG

110_0483.thumb.JPG.e96c26ca4e2bec8a797e9c7800208362.JPG

110_0484.thumb.JPG.458719e18798f4715f5bfa82a090cfab.JPG

110_0486.thumb.JPG.7c554bfcfee8887cfaa216e0a0206ce6.JPG

110_0488.thumb.JPG.2bc009cc1373b7a159208da033f22bfc.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Good repair job, Bob. The hull looks great.

I usually leave paint to cure and harden at least 24 hours before attempting to use masking tape over it. Preferably several days. Did you mask too soon, perhaps? 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

6 minutes ago, druxey said:

Good repair job, Bob. The hull looks great.

I usually leave paint to cure and harden at least 24 hours before attempting to use masking tape over it. Preferably several days. Did you mask too soon, perhaps? 

Another lesson from the Master. Yes, I masked too soon. I will not do this again.

Thank you very much.

While waiting for more white paint to be delivered, started working on the mast, which is huge! two halves are joined to achieve the thickness required, and upper and lower pieces joined for the length, A nice cradle is provided for shaping:

110_0489.thumb.JPG.382cd21eb542ea9e33ab3c5df0a8fb52.JPG

Very clever joint at the midpoint is probably the strongest area:

110_0490.thumb.JPG.ccedc0e5eeec4a0f9a5f47ba2dfb6d16.JPG

Eight squared mast end view:

110_0491.thumb.JPG.1c15e4d78a1645ab7ef68105eedd434b.JPG

Shaping one half of the wishbone boom, this takes care!

110_0498.thumb.JPG.e4624dd8eb6456684ebbb885ba60b3a7.JPG

"Finished" mast:

110_0502.thumb.JPG.d5680d9ee778f84686d8d90694d4b9f8.JPG

End view of shaped mast:

110_0505.thumb.JPG.71daa396b3fe7ab512a1d48ec006f6d2.JPG

Edited by bobandlucy

Nice work, Bob. Those wishbones are a little tricky to shape, no?

BTW, i never keep my coffee or any other drink in the workshop area. All it takes is one spill....

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Show the assembled wishbone boom. I'm trying to make this part as nice as I can, as it and the very tall mast are what distinguishes this type of boat from others. I'm having a little trouble with the "super-detail" of thinning the fore end cap, so that an "S" hook for a block does not end up looking out of scale. I tried filing the bottom side of the cap at an angle and it does not seem possible to thin it enough that way. I'm thinking that this thinning should be a "step," so that a "U" shape is not created, looking at the piece end-on.

From the kit manual (top view):

302188616_wishboneendcap.JPG.20f16fc13e8467b6267a6e465bd9ac85.JPG

I also tried a Dremel attachment that turned out to be not quite suitable. I might attempt to carve it out with a scalpel, or just use an eyebolt as indicated on the plans.

Here's my assembly at this point:

110_0508.thumb.JPG.af9cb042986b37e06d0a28768fdf9f0a.JPG

Bottom view of fore-end cap:

110_0510.thumb.JPG.92d81a7b1ac0e49f8e260a263645e414.JPG

I'm very happy with this sub-assembly thus far.

On another subject, this kit does not supply safety rails for the deck. And indeed, it looks like these were installed by owners after purchasing the boats, as I see many different styles used in pictures on the internet. This seems a good opportunity to gain a new skill, soldering brass. I bought a good supply of 1/16" inch dia. hard brass rod, which should represent 1-1/2" inch dia. at this scale. I don't think I've done any soldering since junior high school metal shop.  If I can do these and a bimini, it will probably double the time constructing this model, and thus double the entertainment and bang for the buck I get from this kit. . .

The wishbone assembly looks very nicely done, Bob. I applaud your idea of adding the safety rails and bimini to your model. That will certainly set it apart from any other iteration.

12 hours ago, druxey said:

The wishbone assembly looks very nicely done, Bob. I applaud your idea of adding the safety rails and bimini to your model. That will certainly set it apart from any other iteration.

Thank you. I can't say that adding the safety rails and bimini is my idea, as they are mentioned in the kit manual as possibilities. . . I decided to try because while looking at real-life examples, every Nonsuch had safety rails added, and most had the biminis. I decided that these would be a low-risk addition, in that they could largely be built off the model. Also, a real challenge!

I finally did some scalpel carving, with a new blade, to thin the fore end-cap of the wishbone, it still needs a little refinement but the gross wood removal is done:

110_0517.thumb.JPG.a40b4d921f2cfe8efcf03d2f95d99924.JPG

Bob,

Looks good, can't wait to see the railing and the new skill.

Gary

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

Finished the painting of the hull, except for some touchup needed at locations of masking bleed. I should have been looking at pictures online before doing the transom. I had the idea that the width of the lower stripe should be maintained. Well, it looks kind of funky! Online pictures show the lower stripe is usually discontinued at the transom. It may have looked all right if I had allowed the stripe to thin in width. . . 

110_0527.thumb.JPG.4a839ce7c3e6bfa2ed247f7c99ba502c.JPG

I'm a bit leery of trying to correct this, as removing the paint and repainting may lead to an even worse outcome. I may chalk this one up as a lesson learned.