Nonsuch 30 by bobandlucy - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

16 hours ago, druxey said:

There are not many kit makers that spend just that little bit extra to supply better line.

It's a sad compromise made necessary by economic reality. I intend to replace all of the kit-supplied line on my next rigged model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

She's looking very good, and realistic.  If you will pardon a picky comment, though, I note that the line on the winch on the cabin goes counter-clockwise; I believe it and all lines to winches should go clockwise like the mainsheet to the winch on the port side of the cockpit.

110_0626.thumb.JPG.0cf158cef047cf20aaa71dc649d91f21.JPG

Richard

2 hours ago, Altduck said:

She's looking very good, and realistic.  If you will pardon a picky comment, though, I note that the line on the winch on the cabin goes counter-clockwise; I believe it and all lines to winches should go clockwise like the mainsheet to the winch on the port side of the cockpit.

110_0626.thumb.JPG.0cf158cef047cf20aaa71dc649d91f21.JPG

Thank you Richard. after I read this comment I looked at the model, and the rope is not wrapped around the winch yet at all, nor the cleat. It just snakes between the two and I used a clip to weigh it down.

But I could have very well made the mistake you pointed out, and now hopefully never will!

Bob

Aha.  I see that what I thought was a wrap is a shadow.  It's clear to me now looking more closely at this and your other photos.

The Nonsuch is an interesting design that I never sailed.  My experience is limited to sloop rigged boats in the 30 - 40 foot range, in and around SF Bay.   

I'm enjoying following your build, and imagine if I were aboard and sailing her.  Brings back fond memories of when I was younger and able to get out on the water.  Good times.

Richard

I've decided against adding the safety railings and bimini to the model at this point in time. I may do so one day. . . I decided that the bimini would obscure the view of the cabin roof hardware, a view I really like. Also, both the bimini and the railings would have to be really well done in order to not clash with the natural lines of the model. I'll get there someday, but am not there now. I do have all the materials now and will work on learning to solder well enough to please me, and over time purchase the additional tools I think I need to build required jigs accurately.

So, I'm calling it done. I'm pretty happy with this one, and it has been a great deal of fun to build. In some ways, it is my best effort thus far. The sail could be improved and the mast cap is askew (I'd re-set the cap, but had used epoxy, and am afraid I'd cause damage in doing that. But I think I did a good job on the hull, deck, cabin and cockpit. The main flaw is that the forward port on the cabin is set higher on the wall than the side ports.

110_0637.thumb.JPG.f11525eb6fe52f4d9201c3b071d44636.JPG

110_0644.thumb.JPG.6f162bb88f9874b50cc871073f6f243d.JPG

110_0641.thumb.JPG.64ad3f08ed805080c0b462443b9aae79.JPG

110_0642.thumb.JPG.21a5d460b6c1c1be556c9aa6b5834bd0.JPG

110_0646.thumb.JPG.70e3a7455972992d91f22089e96a8c55.JPG

I recommend this model to anyone interested in these types of boats. It's fun to build a vessel that is still in use today.

Bob

Edited by bobandlucy

Bob

Great Job, really clean.

Just finished my rigging last night, now time to decide on the next one.  Time to go Christmas shopping. 

Gary

Life is to short to be serious all the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, your not doing it right.

Current Builds

18th Century Armed Longboat 

Finished Builds

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram

Very, very well done, Bob. Congratulations you should be very proud.

Ian

Amazing work Bob,very nicely done.                       :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Thanks to all for the nice comments and "likes."

I am a harsh judge of my own work, so it's nice to see others saying such positive things. Nice also to see Canadians represented amongst you, after all this is a Canada-produced boat!

I used to live in Canada- I do miss the people. . . and the fishing. . . but not the winters!

Bob

Great result, Bob. This boat looks deceptively simple to build but, as you discovered, it has  some interesting challenges. Well done!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Lovely! I completely agree that leaving the railings and bimini off produce a consistent open look to the model that shows off your detail and workmanship. A great example of what I often think about in model building re. the tradeoff between accuracy and artistry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to order the Nonsuch model kit and it says on the INA site that we get shipping for $29 (to Canada). But I seem to get the price as $50. Anyone else know how to get the special INA rate?

By the way, they have a President's Day special this weekend on the kit with all of the tools and paint at $119 instead of the $149.

Nick

N30U

Kingston, Ontario

Nick, I have no idea what "INA" site is. . . I ordered mine from Model Expo site.

FYI, there is a direct message function on MSW, just go to a persons profile and you will see it. It sends an email and is probably more appropriate for this kind of question, but no worries.

Have fun.

Bob

Edited by bobandlucy

• 1 month later...

Hello Bob,

I just received my box from Model Expo yesterday containing this kit. ME was having a great sale - $68 INCLUDING shipping. 

I just read through your entire building experience and will be using it as a real hands on guide in addition to the manual by Mr Antscherl. 

My congratulations on such a realistic model

On 3/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, Ogontz said:

Hello Bob,

I just received my box from Model Expo yesterday containing this kit. ME was having a great sale - $68 INCLUDING shipping. 

I just read through your entire building experience and will be using it as a real hands on guide in addition to the manual by Mr Antscherl. 

My congratulations on such a realistic model

Wow,  that is a great savings! Thanks, I'm sure yours will come out fine as well. This is a real fun project. Lots of these boats for sale- its fun to read the ads and dream. . .