Santa Ana by Artesania Latina

HMS Artful

Dear Members,

I have been looking for the Artesania Latina Santa Ana in 1:84 scale for some time now, but I cannot seem to find one. Do you know any model shop, dealer, online, where I can purchase it. I saw one being built on You Tube and what a beautiful kit it is. Thank you in advance for any help. 
kind regards 

Glenn 😀

• 5 weeks later...

Presumably you have seen there is now a new release of the Santa Ana. How it compares to the original kit I couldn't say but it does have the strange lack of printed plans which is how things are at Artesania Latina these days. That's enough to put me off and I don't think I'm the only one.

Ollie is right in that Artesania Latina has done a re-release of the Santa Ana kit. I don't believe anything has really changed, it's not touted as a revision, just a re-release. In any case, it's a nice looking ship.

As for the plans sheet, I wouldn't suggest dismissing the kit outright because of a deleted plans sheet until after you've looked over the instructions, which can be downloaded from the AL website. You can get straight to it here.

I'm sure you'll soon start to see the kit show up wherever Artesania Latina kits are sold.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

On 10/6/2022 at 11:03 PM, catopower said:

Ollie is right in that Artesania Latina has done a re-release of the Santa Ana kit. I don't believe anything has really changed, it's not touted as a revision, just a re-release. In any case, it's a nice looking ship.

As for the plans sheet, I wouldn't suggest dismissing the kit outright because of a deleted plans sheet until after you've looked over the instructions, which can be downloaded from the AL website. You can get straight to it here.

I'm sure you'll soon start to see the kit show up wherever Artesania Latina kits are sold.

It's good news kits like Santa Ana makes a comeback into the stores. Hopefully this will also happen with their HMS Victory kit and the HMS Surprise kit. It is a matter of opinion if it's a re-lease or revision. To me it doesn't matter that much. However some small changes has been made and also bigger things has changed if you look closely.

The previous version of Santa Ana was a hardwood / single hull planked vessel, mostly walnut was used for planking, knees, decktimbers etc. They replaced the walnut for limewood or basswood and added some ramin veneer strips or coralwood veneer strips. (reddish, mohagony-color kind of wood) Also most parts are now lasercut-plywood instead of lasercut walnut and ofcourse the price remains more or less the same as the previous kit.
So, less quality wood, paying extra for paint or stains or replacement wood to me this is a pitty...but they call it a "limited edition"

In the end, you can still build the ship of course so that's most important I guess...but personally I don't like the cheaper and inferior choice of woods in their "new generation" kits.

Edited by Katsumoto