Greetings, new to the site and new to timber ship building.

Scotty W

My name is Scotty and I've started building the Artesania Latina 1805 Virginia Pilot Boat Swift.  I purchased this kit for my father to build in 1984.  He never tried and is long gone now.  During our last move in 2021, I came across the kit which I still had and finally decided to give it a try in May of 2022.  Countless hours of research got me past the planking which came out lovely.  I got all the deck furniture built and have begun the masts.  Spars went well but got to the boom crab-jaw which was a 3mm wide strip of brass that has to be bent around the mast and attached to the sides of the boom.  Metal fatigue got to it after bending with needle nose pliers and it broke.  I managed to get it installed in two pieces.  When bending the first of two double crab-jaws that holds the flag mast to the main mast, I broke another one and doubt I can make it work.  Now I must locate 1/8 x 1/64 brass strips and the proper tools to bend the curves and sharp angles without breaking them.  That's where I'm stuck and also not sure how to drill tiny holes straight through the tiny round boom through the brass without an expensive mini drill press.  Want to get to the scary blocks and rigging but stuck on bending brass strips to shape without breaking.  Sigh.  Thanks for having me!

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

Super warm welcome to MSW.  Thank you for sharing your story with us!

May I suggest you start a build log for your project text and photos.  I would bet you will get more views and invaluable help should you request any.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome, Scotty, and do please start a build log! Your hull looks great. As for your boom jaws, I wouldn't bother with the brass strip. Jaws were normally built from wood. Have a look around the gallery or do an internet search for boom jaws and you should be able to find some examples.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:  Scotty,  This is the place to be!!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Thank you all and you’re right, it was about 40 degrees F in my garage when I broke that piece. Duh! And I call myself an engineer. Slipping in my old age. I have new brass strips and better tools on the way for bending from MM and will do that work inside out of the cold of the Pacific NW from now on. Just duh, one of many duhs I’ve done and will do before this is done. I started my build log tonight with pics in the section where an 1805 boat would be. Hope to see you there. Thank you all! I’m gonna like it here, I can tell already. Teach me! I’m open to your ideas.

Nice model 

And

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

11 hours ago, allanyed said:

Super warm welcome to MSW.  Thank you for sharing your story with us!

May I suggest you start a build log for your project text and photos.  I would bet you will get more views and invaluable help should you request any.

Allan

Build log started in 1805 ships. Thanks for the suggestion.

6BC0F149-C950-4F04-B242-297721372992.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scotty W said:

Just duh, one of many duhs I’ve done and will do before this is done.

Welcome to ship modelling! There'll be plenty more duhs along the way, but don't let it get you down. Even the best of us (and I certainly don't include myself among them!) still make mistakes. They just make more interesting ones (and perhaps not quite so many as us mere mortals).

Oh, yeah 40 degrees F. That's 4 degrees in our money . . . :P

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

29 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Welcome to ship modelling! There'll be plenty more duhs along the way, but don't let it get you down. Even the best of us (and I certainly don't include myself among them!) still make mistakes. They just make more interesting ones (and perhaps not quite so many as us mere mortals).

Oh, yeah 40 degrees F. That's 4 degrees in our money . . . :P

Steven

Brrrrrrr, c’mon Summer! The short 3 months we have of it here near Seattle, not the capitol of Washington.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to MSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Wood Builds

HMS Victory Cross Section 

Future Wood Builds

18th Century Longboat-Model Shipways

America Cup Endeavour Kit-Amati

1/50 san Fransisco II Cross Section- Artesania Latina

1910 American Fishing Schooner Elsie-Model Shipways

1/100 Korean Turtle Warship