Okesa 1918 by OkesaBuilder - Scale 1:96 - Ferris Type WWI Wooden Steamer built in Portland Maine

The anchor windlass presented challenges.  I had a picture of the bow of Okesa, showing much of the windlass in partial profile.  I found other contemporary pictures of similar period windlasses in the 1918 volume of the International Marine Engineering journal and from pictures from ships of the period.  However, the arrangement of the windlass components (and their relationship to each other) in those pictures did not match the actual windlass on the Okesa.  So I drafted new plans based on the Okesa windlass - using parts that I could discern from the other contemporary pictures. From my research I knew that the steam components of winches and windlasses were very similar.  So I used many winch parts in the windlass.

The contemporary Emergency Fleet Corporation plans from 1918 explicitly described the components of the davits, their layout and their rigging.  I modeled the davits from brass components, wooden blocks and scale manila (linen) rigging.

The Ferris steamships carried a  wireless (radio) room (deckhouse).   An antenna was rigged between the two masts that facilitated wireless communication (and direction-finding).  I built the antenna with beading wire (with the plastic burned off), brass spreaders, wooden blocks and scale manila (linen) rigging.  

Okesa(3).jpg

Slide14.jpeg

Slide15.jpeg

Slide16.jpeg

Slide17.jpeg

Slide18.jpeg

Slide19.jpeg

Slide20.jpeg

Slide21.jpeg

Another modeling hero of mine was the late Dana McCalip; a prior NRG Director.  In honor of Dana I used his method for making the ships boats; One that he taught me many years ago.   Two matching blocks of applewood were temporarily glued together and carved to the appropriate lines.  The halves were separated and the stem, keel and stern post were inserted.   The challenge for the ship's boats was modeling the tarpaulin coverings (see picture from the ship Okesa).  I tried paper and plastic screen (see left side of picture 5) - neither gave the look I wanted.  Finally I tried finely woven cotton batiste cloth.   I wrapped the cloth around a saran covered"dummy" model.  I "painted" the cloth with epoxy.  Once the epoxy cured I gently removed the model tarpaulin from the "dummy," trimmed it, painted it maritime gray and then attached it to the ships boat. Looked great (See right side of picture 5). 

The contemporary Emergency Fleet Corporation plans from 1918 explicitly described how the ships boats were installed - including the components of the skids.  I modeled the skids as per those plans.

The captain's launch was only temporarily installed.  Someday, I hope to build an scale replica of the launch; showing its internal construction, fittings and gear.

The steamship's anchors were constructed from wood and brass.  I made four anchors and picked the best two to go the model.

Slide1.jpeg

Slide2.jpeg

Slide3.jpeg

Okesa 3 1-10-2014.jpg

Slide4.jpeg

Slide5.jpeg

Slide6.jpeg

Slide7.jpeg

Slide8.jpeg

Slide9.jpeg

I was onto the final stages.  

The rudder was modeled next.  There was a dedicated plan of the rudder in  contemporary Emergency Fleet Corporation plans from 1918.  The rudder was built up as per those plans.

The propellor was modeled using a contemporary picture of the Ferris-type wooden steamship as well as other photos. The propellor was built-up from an applewood blank, shaped with the Foredom and hand-finished.  Note that I made three propellors - to practice my carving technique.

As mentioned above I knew that I wanted to show the operations of cargo loading.  For that I needed crates. I found online some 1917-1918 articles on crate building.  I built the crates using that information.

Finally the model was ready to be mounted on its cherry baseboard.  To make the model completely secure I used four applewood pedestals - two for the keel approximately in-line with the masts and one each 2 inches port and starboard of the keel amidships.   Because of the low- and high-humidity in the winter and summer, respectively, where I live, I waited until the summer to mount the model (when the model, baseboard and case were most expanded).  While the model is secure, there is also sufficient space for expansion and contraction of the model, baseboard and case with the weather.  

I purchased a cherry case kit from Bluejacket Shipcrafters.  The case was extensively modified using cherry lumber I had on hand.  Each off the frame parts were separately painted with multiple coats of black paint (and wet-sanded between coats with 400-600 emery paper).  The final coat was clear satin lacquer and then case was assembled.  Museum quality/low glare acrylic was used for the panes.

Fin'

Slide10.jpeg

Slide11.jpeg

Slide12.jpeg

Slide13.jpeg

Slide15.jpeg

Slide16.jpeg

Slide17.jpeg

Slide6.jpeg

Slide2.jpeg

Slide4.jpeg

Slide3.jpeg

Postscript:

Back to the engine and boilers.  These were made in 2001 and then stored in a safe place until needed.

There are extensive!!! plans of the 1898 triple-expansion steam engine that was installed on the ferry Berkeley at the California Marine Museum (San Diego branch).  The Ferris-type wooden steamship engines were nearly identical.  I also had (rough) plans of the engine from the Emergency Fleet Corporation documents.  I also took many pictures of the Berkeley engine (and boilers).

The engine was modeled from wood, plastic, and brass.  Some of the parts were carved from boxwood and then cast in plastic.  Nearly all the important parts were modeled; including the drive shaft, the pistons, the eccentrics, and the reversing gear.   I built two engines:  The poor one is inside the model and the better one is mounted on the baseboard.   

The boilers were built of plastic using plans from the 1918 journal of International Marine Engineering.  I made paper models first, then plastoc mock-ups and then finally made three boilers.  The "worst" two are inside the model and the best one is mounted on the baseboard.

Now truly Fin'

Slide1.jpeg

Slide2.jpeg

Slide3.jpeg

Slide4.jpeg

Slide5.jpeg

Slide6.jpeg

Slide7.jpeg

Slide8.jpeg

Slide9.jpeg

Slide10.jpeg

Beautiful first class work throughout, thank you for sharing. 

Great detail on the boiler but will it be visible?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 4 weeks later...

Very impressing build Okesa

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50