Back to hobby after 33 years

vaidas

Hello all,

So much has changed since I last touched scissors and glue - the plethora of books and drawings, modelling kits, tools, glues, paper and printing quality, laser cut parts, CAD and 3d printing. So, I'm a newbie again, only with the knowledge of initial mistakes and remembering of terrible silicate glue smell and taste from the early 90-ties.
My desire is to build sailship models from scratch, but to stretch my fingers now, I decided to start again with kits. At the moment I'm interested in learning and comparing the technologies from different publishers - how the design is done, what the printing quality is, and what the assembly technology is. And what interests me the most is how different authors create hulls and do planking.
I ordered several kits from Polish, Ukrainian and Lithuanian publishers, and if available - complete kits with accessories and laser cut parts. All in 1:100, 30-40 cm in length range and mid-level complexity. However, not all of them interest me in their story and construction, so I certainly don't plan to finish all of them. I just want to research to understand what is on the market now and what I want to do next with this beauty. So here is my playground :)

regards, vaidas

p.s. here is the very first photo I took when I started working on the model in November 2022. It shows that I need to improve my photography skills as well :)

1st-after-33y.jpg

Edited by vaidas

Welcome to MSW, Vaidas.  We do have more than a few card builders here so feel free to open a log in the kit area.  It's great way to meet others and get help as needed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As you survey the card commercial offerings,  I am wondering if by using a program like GIMP, good mapping, and quality textures, you could scratch build just about any vessel with adequate plans?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

13 minutes ago, Jaager said:

As you survey the card commercial offerings,  I am wondering if by using a program like GIMP, good mapping, and quality textures, you could scratch build just about any vessel with adequate plans?

Hi Jaager,

At the moment I want to get an overview for myself on today's card model design fashion. You can image what's a gap is in design quality and technologies from '86 Maly Modelarz kits I used to cut and glue. And answering to your question about scratch modeling from plans - yes, I am experienced in structural design and for this reason my goal is to create from scratch. I will create a build log when start something new. And I choose paper card modeling because I like this material - it's soft, plastic and, after all, kind of wood.

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Vaidas and welcome to Model Ship World.  We are glad to have you back to this hobby and also glad to have you as a member of MSW.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome Vaidas!  You have come to the right place.  Nautical Research Guild has just had part 1 of a two part virtual workshop specifically for paper and card models.   I have been to part 1, and it was excellent.  You need to be a member of the NRG to view the workshop.  Part 1 was recorded and it will be posted on NRG's website.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

46 minutes ago, TomShipModel said:

Welcome Vaidas!  You have come to the right place.  Nautical Research Guild has just had part 1 of a two part virtual workshop specifically for paper and card models.   I have been to part 1, and it was excellent.  You need to be a member of the NRG to view the workshop.  Part 1 was recorded and it will be posted on NRG's website.

Best regards,

Tom

Yes, as a member of the NRG, I was attending at part 1 and just after this Zoom session I decided to register at MSW. So, I am all-in :)

That's very nice.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome to MSW.  Very lovely work on your model!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU